A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:35:00 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Village on Main starts  (Read 51814 times)
swake
T-Town Elder

« on: November 19, 2010, 10:08:48 am »

Looks like they started earthwork construction on the main section of the Village on Main this week. The Hillcrest Clinic section of the Village is done and the riverfront restaurant owned by Los Cabos is getting close to being done. They are now moving a lot of dirt on the back side of the levy, so I assume they got approval to remove a section of the levy as they were wanting to do so they can better tie together the riverfront/aquarium area and the section closer to downtown Jenks. Eventually you will be able to turn left at the stoplight at the end of the Jenks bridge coming from the Tulsa side and drive directly to the Aquarium and riverfront.

http://www.villageonmain.com/
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 12:08:57 pm »

Was it this place that caused this guy to burst into song?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmRXH7RkCZQ[/youtube]

Seriously, I am going to head over there and check it out.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 08:07:36 pm »

They are now moving a lot of dirt on the back side of the levy, so I assume they got approval to remove a section of the levy

I hope not.  A levy crossing would be OK.  The levy kept Jenks from becoming Lake Jenks in 1986.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 08:30:04 pm »

I hope not.  A levy crossing would be OK.  The levy kept Jenks from becoming Lake Jenks in 1986.

They are talking about opening it but having large metal panels that could be installed during high water.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 09:38:04 pm »

They are talking about opening it but having large metal panels that could be installed during high water.

Requiring an action during an emergency doesn't seem as failsafe as not cutting the levy.  The levy isn't all that high that approach ramps couldn't be built.

waterboy
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 07:55:05 am »

The levies aren't well enough constructed to tolerate much traffic. They are mostly pre WWII, non-reinforced, sand and debris piles. They were constructed to mitigate flood damages, not hold in a flood. They proved inneffective and would have been rebuilt had the dam not solved the problem. Now they are even less effective because of erosion, rodent burrowing, beavers, shrubs and trees.

I doubt much would save Jenks/Bixby if the water levels challenge the levies. May actually be better to cut through them and make plans for a metal gate.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 08:18:14 am »

The levies aren't well enough constructed to tolerate much traffic. They are mostly pre WWII, non-reinforced, sand and debris piles. They were constructed to mitigate flood damages, not hold in a flood. They proved inneffective and would have been rebuilt had the dam not solved the problem. Now they are even less effective because of erosion, rodent burrowing, beavers, shrubs and trees.

I doubt much would save Jenks/Bixby if the water levels challenge the levies. May actually be better to cut through them and make plans for a metal gate.

The water got pretty high on the Jenks levy in '86 and I believe kept Jenks from getting pretty wet.  My brother and I were among the last allowed in to Jenks before they evacuated.  We had some stuff to get from the airport.  I'll agree that without Keystone Dam that the levy may have washed away by now.  I think Bixby would be toast anyway.  We had a space in a mini storage in Bixby in '86 that managed to be on a local high spot.  Water all around but our stuff stayed dry.

How about building a "bridge" over the levy at levy level?  I'll agree that the levy itself probably couldnt take much traffic.  What did "they" do at the north end of 5th st where the road goes over the levy to avoid the parking lot for the high school?

Edit: I was thinking about making a crossing the same way Peoria/Elm crosses the levy just north of the turnpike.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 08:25:18 am by Red Arrow » Logged

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 08:57:49 am »

Based on RWC, the aquarium, adjacent hotel, and centers on the east bank, I believe developers are simply acting on faith there will not be another 1986 flood or if there is, it will be long after they are gone.  

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 09:05:54 am »

Based on RWC, the aquarium, adjacent hotel, and centers on the east bank, I believe developers are simply acting on faith there will not be another 1986 flood or if there is, it will be long after they are gone.  

Jenks dictates that all riverfront buildings be built at something like 6” above a 300 year flood level. 1986 was a 250 year level event.
waterboy
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 10:13:43 am »

Faith is good, but knowing the age of that dam I think Jenks is prudent to plan for a flood in that area. Keystone was a 50 year dam, built in what? 1964? The lake has silted up, the surrounding watershed has changed since the fifties and we're planning on impeding water flow even more in the next decade. Some of the housing developers along the East side of the river in that area have been gambling in my estimation.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 01:47:47 pm »

Some of the housing developers along the East side of the river in that area have been gambling in my estimation.

Some of them would be smart to keep everything of value as high as possible and make sure their flood insurance is kept paid up.

Osupikapp1
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 08:42:58 pm »

The new restaurant from Los Cabos is set to open March of 2011
Check it out at www.waterfrontgrilljenks.com
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 09:18:52 pm »

The new restaurant from Los Cabos is set to open March of 2011
Check it out at www.waterfrontgrilljenks.com

Don't know if anyone has said this to you, but welcome aboard!!!

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2010, 05:17:40 pm »

I may be the only person in town that thought Los Cabos food just isn't that good. 
waterboy
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2010, 09:22:11 pm »

I may be the only person in town that thought Los Cabos food just isn't that good. 

One of at least 2. Way over rated. Put it at 31st and Mingo and it fails.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org