A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:53:20 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does TulsaNow Forum matter?  (Read 6067 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« on: June 20, 2010, 10:04:54 am »

Does the TulsaNow Forum really matter?

I was just made a ware that our TulsaNow Forum discussion "Better Streetlights For Tulsa"
was extensively researched in the making of the "Kern County California Zoning Ordinance Revisions", which was impressive in not only do we not really have an official P&Z department, but lil'ol' Tulsa is influencing California towns like Bakersfield, etc.. 
Usually works the other way around.

I think a lot of that had to do with the quality of the discussion, i.e, intelligent questions from people sincere about community planning (as opposed to anonymous rants you get on random forums like Topix.)

Anyway, welcome to TulsaNow West Coasters! 

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 10:21:07 am »

I am amazed at the number of media people who read TulsaNow. I have heard from many of them who discuss with me things they have read on this forum, including making fun of my comments sometimes.

Every TV station, radio station with news people, and newspaper in town has employees who read TulsaNow.

Power is nothing till you use it.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 10:50:13 am »

Good to know. I have often gone through some of our deeper discussions on idea's to improve this or that and have often wondered "why do we put so much effort into this? WIll what we discuss make any real differance?" Makes me feel better knowing that are discussions, and often times research, are not in vain.  Way to go TFN posters.
YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 11:21:41 am »

Do they not post for fear of having an opinion?

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 11:40:18 am »

Do they not post for fear of having an opinion?

They likely do not post because their respective employers won't allow them to.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 12:17:02 pm »

I could see that a planning agency would research forums like this for a cross-section of opinions on a wide variety of proposals, particularly if public input on their own is lacking.  For instance, Owasso is using a wikiplanning site to solicit public input on their capital improvement plans.  They've also done this with public meetings, but frankly, citizen participation has been dismal.  I don't understand that.  People will grumble endlessly about a poorly designed or poorly implemented project.  They'll complain loud and long over the use of their tax dollars for something they don't want or need.  But they won't get in on the front end and see that those dollars go toward projects they actually desire.

On the other hand, I've seen citizen input dismissed out of hand when it didn't agree with the planner's vision regarding his pet project or when elected officials change it for political reasons. 

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 12:20:16 pm »

Wow!  I wrote "People will b***h endlessly..." and when it posted, it was changed to "grumble"!  When did the automatic bowdlerization begin?  I must have missed the memo.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 01:46:59 pm »

Wow!  I wrote "People will b***h endlessly..." and when it posted, it was changed to "grumble"!  When did the automatic bowdlerization begin?  I must have missed the memo.
It's been around since the SMF upgrade. I didn't realize it would substitute words that one can say on radio or over the air television, too.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 08:06:33 pm »

Occasionally we do have some good discussions on here.  I know I have learned a lot and said some stuuupid things along the way.  But occasionally when my better angels have prevailed and I have said something worthwhile, I have had people contact me and let me know that what was said was paid attention to, and changes were made. Oh, and great work on the streetlight thing Patric. I have learned much about lighting from you, and now realize that there are all kinds of things that make a difference in instances that before, I may not have given a second though.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 08:48:36 pm »

This is cool. I was just certain I was about to read a "TNF is lame" post.   Well done patric. I don't follow the lighting threads so much as it's not a topic I've got much interest in but I'm thankful we all bring our own interest and expertise to the forum. Hopefully the city and county will take note of your lighting expertise at some point.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 11:23:07 am »

If they don't post then I guess it does not matter one way or the other what they think- We'll never know. Roll Eyes

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 01:11:40 pm »

If they don't post then I guess it does not matter one way or the other what they think- We'll never know. Roll Eyes

Dammit Dorothy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org