A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:30:59 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3rd World City Councilor  (Read 15820 times)
jne
Philanthropist

« on: March 25, 2010, 11:36:28 am »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=16&articleid=20100325_16_A1_Atacos498003&allcom=1

Vote for the two party system!
-one one Friday and one on Saturday.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 11:46:40 am »

City Councilor Jim Mautino said he had received complaints from constituents regarding six mobile food trailers. He said he was concerned about food safety and the city's ability to collect sales taxes.

"This is Third World stuff," he said. "When people come here we assimilate them (new residents of the country) into our lifestyle and our politics; it's not the other way around. "

I really don't mind the taco wagons. 

I think it adds some cultural flavor and diversity to the community.  I buy food off them on occasion and we had a vendor bring us some totally kick-butt beef sandwiches from one for lunch today.

I do think like any other business, they need to be complying with all city codes and collecting and remitting proper sales tax as well.  Mautino probably didn't gain any votes toward re-election from the Hispanic community with that quote, however.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 12:07:50 pm »

One of the first things that comes to mind here is in order to enforce this code in this way it would have to apply to ALL mobile (or open air) vendors that remain at a locatin for an extended period of time (they are making that distiction because of the lunch wagon trucks.)  That would include vedors at fairs and other events, unless the events are acquiring special permits to allow it.  However, from what I'm gathering from the article, the city ordinance does not prohibit these vendors, nor does it specify that they need a license.  It seems that they are really twisting it to make it apply specifically to these hispanic, mobile vendors. 

Of course it would be Mautino at the head of this charge since most of these wagons tend to sit in his district.  I see them daily in parking lots around area's of Garnett between 21st and 41st.  I've even seen them parked in the lot directly behind my house. 

IMO I think they should be held to the same standard as the vendors that work events like the fair.  They are inspected regularly by the health department, and it seems that those inspections are held to a higher standard then a normal restraunt.  If not the same standard as the special events, then the wagons that go from job to job at lunch time should be held to the same standards as these that have their prefered spots to park.  In any case, the ordinances need to be clear on this point, and not bend existing laws to fit the desires of the council. 
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 12:14:45 pm »

I share councilor Mautino's concern's about health and permitting. I love the taco stand at 22nd and Garnett, but I also feel like a gambler every time I eat from there.

I don't agree with INCOG that the best way to permit these is through six-month exemption permits. Most of the ones I see were there most of the year and it would be foolish to make a year-round business pay a permitting fee and go through board approval twice-a-year.

Surely there is another way to allow these while not sacrificing the ability to regulate them.

Power is nothing till you use it.
jne
Philanthropist

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 12:30:43 pm »

I share councilor Mautino's concern's about health and permitting. I love the taco stand at 22nd and Garnett, but I also feel like a gambler every time I eat from there.

They are already inspected by the health department... What exactly are your concerns and how would a special exemption do anything more to ease them?

MH2010
Philanthropist

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 12:32:41 pm »

I think they are but if not they need to be complying with all city codes and collecting and remitting proper sales tax. All of the ones I've eaten at in the 21st and Garnett area have been great!  I think they are great at adding some cultural flavor and diversity.  If people haven't tried them, they need to.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 12:35:16 pm by MH2010 » Logged
PepePeru
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 12:45:47 pm »

"City Councilor Jim Mautino said he had received complaints from constituents regarding six mobile food trailers. He said he was concerned about food safety and the city's ability to collect sales taxes."

I have a feeling these constituents complaining are also ones who'd never eat food from one of these food trailers to begin with.
I'm sure their reasoning for complaining is purely altruistic and made with the utmost concern for gastrointestinal health of the patrons.
It's obvious that the Hispanics in this City need legitimate representation, b/c with this guy they aren't getting it.
It's sickening how this outright racism is tolerated.  Hopefully it won't be next time election comes around.
godboko71
Philanthropist

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 12:55:50 pm »

Maybe we should look at how California municipalities or how NYC deals with street vender's. Any new rules, or reworking of old rules should make it easier for businesses to do business and make it safer for consumers.

That said, to call a vending truck or cart third world is silly, I would venture a guess that City Councilor Jim Mautino hasn't done much traveling.

Thank you,
Robert Town
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 01:39:31 pm »

"City Councilor Jim Mautino said he had received complaints from constituents regarding six mobile food trailers. He said he was concerned about food safety and the city's ability to collect sales taxes."

I have a feeling these constituents complaining are also ones who'd never eat food from one of these food trailers to begin with.
I'm sure their reasoning for complaining is purely altruistic and made with the utmost concern for gastrointestinal health of the patrons.
It's obvious that the Hispanics in this City need legitimate representation, b/c with this guy they aren't getting it.
It's sickening how this outright racism is tolerated.  Hopefully it won't be next time election comes around.

How can you interpret this as "outright" racism?  I'm sure there are some knuckleheads who complain based on this, but on the other hand, how do you know it's not simply people wanting to make sure that health, tax, vendor, and building codes are being followed?  Or perhaps nearby Hispanic brick and mortar business owners who are worried about unfair competition?  That ever dawn on you?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
jne
Philanthropist

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 01:48:14 pm »

I don't know why assimilation or the fear of 'reverse assimilation' LOL would have a place in the conversation if it had nothing to do with the predominant race of the vendors.  

Health - seems the health department is already on that

Taxes - ok, I don't fully understand the tax requirements for these vendors, how about the vendors at the fairgrounds or other vendors - unfortunately this doesn't seem to be the primary motivation to look into this

building codes - are you serious?  I was considering buying a travel trailer - do I need to get a building inspector involved?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 02:04:19 pm by jne » Logged

PepePeru
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 02:29:56 pm »

How can you interpret this as "outright" racism?  I'm sure there are some knuckleheads who complain based on this, but on the other hand, how do you know it's not simply people wanting to make sure that health, tax, vendor, and building codes are being followed?  Or perhaps nearby Hispanic brick and mortar business owners who are worried about unfair competition?  That ever dawn on you?

"This is Third World stuff," he said. "When people come here we assimilate them (new residents of the country) into our lifestyle and our politics; it's not the other way around. "

by 'lifestyle and politics' he's just referring to building codes and food safety, right? 

So, tell me, how else is a comment like that to be interpreted? 

As another poster said, maybe it would do Mautino some good and leave the comfort of his East Tulsa home and experience real "Third World stuff"
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 02:33:41 pm »

I agree that you can't assign automatic racist motivations to the complainers, I would even question if he's really had complaints.

But when you complain about the street vendors by saying this:

"This is Third World stuff," he said. "When people come here we assimilate them (new residents of the country) into our lifestyle and our politics; it's not the other way around.

"And it seems to me like what's happening is we're being assimilated."

He's being plainly racist.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 02:40:38 pm »

You haven't lived until you've had tamales from one of the women who drive the old beat up station wagons and sell to the construction workers in the S. Tulsa neighborhoods.  

They've been doing this for years. I think they all work for the same woman.  $1 a tamale, and they're out of this world.  Served in the husk.

You can usually find them between 9am and 11am anywhere in S. Tulsa/BA/Bixby/Jenks where there's new construction.  They usually have the spicy "relish" (pickled carrots and peppers) too.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 02:47:10 pm »

by 'lifestyle and politics' he's just referring to building codes and food safety, right? 

So, tell me, how else is a comment like that to be interpreted? 

As another poster said, maybe it would do Mautino some good and leave the comfort of his East Tulsa home and experience real "Third World stuff"

I didn't realize you were referring to Mautino's comment, I thought you were talking about the "complainers".  I can better see the relevance of your comment based on that.  Thanks for the correction.

custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 02:47:55 pm »

You haven't lived until you've had tamales from one of the women who drive the old beat up station wagons and sell to the construction workers in the S. Tulsa neighborhoods.  

They've been doing this for years. I think they all work for the same woman.  $1 a tamale, and they're out of this world.  Served in the husk.

You can usually find them between 9am and 11am anywhere in S. Tulsa/BA/Bixby/Jenks where there's new construction.  They usually have the spicy "relish" (pickled carrots and peppers) too.

Actually, I like to get my tamales from the little mexican guy in the walmart parking lot walking around with a cooler.  Same premise though, and great.  I'm always telling people that if they see this guy they should buy some.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org