A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:47:55 am
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Protecting Paramedics.......from the OHP?  (Read 86368 times)
FOTD
« Reply #75 on: June 16, 2009, 12:39:49 pm »

Now to play the devils advocate here, I could swear I heard the siren when he first approached the ambulance.  Now with the gear in the ambulance it is very likely they didn't hear it, but I think it was running.  I can't double check right now since this computer doesn't have any sound.  However, the OHP that came up on me just a few days ago was running siren and I didn't hear them until they were right behind me.  But given the driving situation that the ambulance faced (car pulling off the road in front of them), their attention was focused where it should have been, forward.

Hey. FOTD is the only devil's advocate that shows up on TNF.

Anybody notice the white car keeping the EMT from pulling over immediately as the OHP troofer passed by? Kinda hard to run an innocent car off the road.

Beat this dead horse all you want. Angry white men are all over this place.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=7848035&page=1

More great National Press for Dumbf@#kistan!
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #76 on: June 16, 2009, 12:49:54 pm »

Sounds like a cluster on both sides of this argument.

Spank them, then have their mommies make them apologize to each other.

Embarrassing that this had to make national news.

But, I'm glad that we're getting known for something other than Dog rape!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 12:55:32 pm by Gaspar » Logged

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2009, 12:58:12 pm »

Now to play the devils advocate here, I could swear I heard the siren when he first approached the ambulance.  Now with the gear in the ambulance it is very likely they didn't hear it, but I think it was running.  I can't double check right now since this computer doesn't have any sound.  However, the OHP that came up on me just a few days ago was running siren and I didn't hear them until they were right behind me.  But given the driving situation that the ambulance faced (car pulling off the road in front of them), their attention was focused where it should have been, forward.

Type III ambulances are insulated to protect occupants ears from their own +300 watt siren(s) so it's not likely they would hear a siren down the road behind them.  Add air conditioning and equipment noises and the outside world becomes inaudible inside a moving ambulance.  This I know from ride-alongs.

Sgrizzle is correct in that the use of sirens is a medical decision based on how not to further aggravate a stressed patient, and represents the most common mode of transport.  Any LEO should know those facts, as well as the fact that above a certain speed you "outrun" your own siren just as you can "outrun" your headlights at night.  Playing dumb isnt going to get the OHP out of the corner they painted themselves into.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2009, 01:05:23 pm »

Any LEO should know those facts, as well as the fact that above a certain speed you "outrun" your own siren just as you can "outrun" your headlights at night.  Playing dumb isnt going to get the OHP out of the corner they painted themselves into.

I agree with your post with exceptions.
You need to go 764 miles per hour to outrun the siren, and 670,616,630 miles per hour to outrun your headlights.  Now I didn't see a report on how fast the ambulance was going, but I'm betting it was not exceeding 764 miles per hour.

Having driven an ambulance, I assure you that you can't hear anything from the outside world.  Horns, sirens, anything.  your radio, your speed alert, the engine, and G-force warning (keeps you from tipping over) are what you hear.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 01:07:05 pm by Gaspar » Logged

custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2009, 01:06:48 pm »

Paramedic said the patient was having an anxiety issue and running the siren would've likely made it worse. It was a medical decision.

What I meant is that I thought that it sounded like on the video that the OHP was running their siren.  However, as patric points out, you can "outrun" your siren, so that even though you can hear it, that doesn't mean that it can be heard much further ahead of you.  However, this is a moot point since as patric explained, they wouldn't have heard them regardless.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #80 on: June 16, 2009, 01:08:18 pm »

I agree with your post with exceptions.
You need to go 764 miles per hour to outrun the siren, and 670,616,630 miles per hour to outrun your headlights.  Now I didn't see a report on how fast the ambulance was going, but I'm betting it was not exceeding 764 miles per hour.

Having driven an ambulance, I assure you that you can't hear anything from the outside world.  Horns, sirens, anything.  your radio, your speed alert, the engine, and G-force warning (keeps you from tipping over) are what you hear.

I'm taking outrunning your siren as moving at a speed fast enough that by the time anyone can hear them, you are already coming up on them to the point that reactions are going to be delayed
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #81 on: June 16, 2009, 01:11:47 pm »

Hey. FOTD is the only devil's advocate that shows up on TNF.

Anybody notice the white car keeping the EMT from pulling over immediately as the OHP troofer passed by? Kinda hard to run an innocent car off the road.

Beat this dead horse all you want. Angry white men are all over this place.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=7848035&page=1

More great National Press for Dumbf@#kistan!

For once I'll agree.  This is one angry white guy (trooper) who needs to be fired.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
FOTD
« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2009, 01:18:40 pm »

For once I'll agree.  This is one angry white guy (trooper) who needs to be fired.

Come now, Conan. That's so humbling.

Drinks on me....

* Pelligrini.jpg (15.88 KB - downloaded 357 times.)
* heiny.jpg (20.33 KB - downloaded 337 times.)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 01:28:46 pm by FOTD » Logged
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2009, 01:19:33 pm »

Water?? What's water?? Oh yeah, it's a mixer.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2009, 01:22:45 pm »

I agree as well
FOTD
« Reply #85 on: June 16, 2009, 01:29:57 pm »

There, made it right.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #86 on: June 16, 2009, 01:35:16 pm »

There, made it right.

And even righter...

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #87 on: June 16, 2009, 01:45:57 pm »

And even righter...

Watch out or you may be accused of being a Righty.

jne
Philanthropist

« Reply #88 on: June 16, 2009, 02:12:07 pm »

I agree as well

No point in restating all of the blatantly obvious points made so far.  so +1, angry Anglo and what not....

Vote for the two party system!
-one one Friday and one on Saturday.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #89 on: June 16, 2009, 02:17:07 pm »

Had a couple conversations today with people:

- A client who is a police officer said that a "single handed choke" is not a tactical hold.  It is potentially dangerous as it can damage the wind pipe and doesn't afford a tactical advantage to the officer (the person can use his free hands to knock the hold off with ease, unless he is otherwise restrained.  In which case the hold is not required).  

- A friend who works as an EMT saw the video (does not live in Oklahoma) and emailed me asking if it is getting attention.  I asked him to make some comments . . . his first comment was that he runs 75% of the time without his siren on.   But no siren = follow traffic laws.  He went on to say that it didn't seem unusual for the ambulance to wait some seconds before realizing the officer was there and pulling over.  He added that he'd be surprised to hear a snarky comment on an emergency band and would probably flip the guy off.

Also, I forgot to mention in my previous posts:  

Why did OHP lie about this man being on suspension?

Why did you need to "come in hot" for backup on a report of a stolen vehicle?  (why did you leave inside 20 seconds?)

Why did you need to floor it, run a stop sign, and blow by a school zone to issue a warning for a failure to yield misdemeanor traffic violation?

The more I look into it, the less wiggle room the OHP officer has in my book.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org