A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 08:12:02 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Chicken fried steak????????  (Read 34588 times)
MH2010
Philanthropist

« on: April 29, 2009, 12:00:12 pm »

This weather is making me crave some comfort food.  Who has the best chicken fried steak in the area?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 12:08:21 pm »

Pretty hard to beat the chicken-fried prime rib at McGill's.  It's not a menu item, you have to request it.  I think it was about $19 the last time I had one, but worth every penny, and the risk of heart disease.

For something a little more run of the mill, try Brother's Houligan on 15th east of Lewis or 61st & Mingo.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gold
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 12:08:54 pm »

The best ever was Nelson's.  There is no argument.

Three that are decent:

Bros Houlighan

Atlas Grill

The Brooke
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 12:10:46 pm »

Three that are decent:

Bros Houlighan

Atlas Grill

The Brooke

No argument there on Nelsons.  I believe Barry Rogers is about to put Nelson's back on the map.  Stay tuned...

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gold
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 12:28:55 pm »

Don't BS me on that Conan . . . you're talking about a place that made this town what it is.  I can't tell you how many times I've been walking to work downtown and had someone stop me and ask where the buffeteria is.  Just re-opens the wound.

I was one of the great fans of the place.  Went at least twice a week up until the end.  And through my line of work, I sort of saw the inside scoop of what happened in the end.  Part of Tulsa seemed to die for me that summer.

Few places really distinguished what makes our community unique like that place.  It wasn't as good in the end, but it had something about it you can't find anywhere else.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 12:48:53 pm »

Nelson's
Brother's Houligan
Texas Roadhouse

Some other Oklahoma Notables:
Del Rancho - Greasy and thin as paper, but good.
That place in Weleetka that just burned down - Best and largest CFS in the state (was)
bokworker
Civic Leader

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 12:55:30 pm »

Three that are decent:

Bros Houlighan

Atlas Grill

The Brooke

Nelsons "Hello chicken fry!" buffeteria..... You're right Gold, the wound has not healed.

TeeDub
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 12:57:44 pm »

I really want to say Twin Peaks....

But instead I think I will go with Savoy.
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 01:02:07 pm »

Nelson's
Brother's Houligan
Texas Roadhouse

Some other Oklahoma Notables:
Del Rancho - Greasy and thin as paper, but good.
That place in Weleetka that just burned down - Best and largest CFS in the state (was)

Listen to him

He knows of what he speaks
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 01:02:12 pm »

I really want to say Twin Peaks....

But instead I think I will go with Savoy.

Someone told me that the CFS at Twin Peaks was good, haven't tried it yet.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 01:03:09 pm »

I'm surprised since it was a recent topic that no one has mentioned Shiloh's.  Their Chicken Fried Chicken/Steak is top notch.  The rolls help it along.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 01:03:41 pm »

Listen to him

He knows of what he speaks

Yeah. I've eaten more Chicken Fried Steak than Joe Mommas Pizza.. which is saying something.
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 01:09:31 pm »

The best CFS was at the old Route 66 Diner (now the Dilly Deli) downtown.  As much as I loved the ambiance of Nelson's (and the way your plate was flung, as if shot from a cannon, to land neatly at the next server's station...), Route 66 was a far better meal.

Sadly, they're both gone. 

These days, I'd vote Brother's Houligan...and probably Phil's Diner.  But it's not something I eat that often anymore.  (I don't bike enough to justify it!)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 01:28:10 pm »

The best CFS was at the old Route 66 Diner (now the Dilly Deli) downtown.  As much as I loved the ambiance of Nelson's (and the way your plate was flung, as if shot from a cannon, to land neatly at the next server's station...), Route 66 was a far better meal.

Sadly, they're both gone. 

These days, I'd vote Brother's Houligan...and probably Phil's Diner.  But it's not something I eat that often anymore.  (I don't bike enough to justify it!)

If I were to historically rate CFS, I think the old Silver Dollar Cafe in Bixby had the best.  For about $7, you get the CFS, mashed potatoes and green beans in quantities that could feed a small city.

And the cinnamon rolls they made on Sunday mornings that you had to call in for were the best I ever had.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 01:31:38 pm »

Don't BS me on that Conan . . . you're talking about a place that made this town what it is.  I can't tell you how many times I've been walking to work downtown and had someone stop me and ask where the buffeteria is.  Just re-opens the wound.

I was one of the great fans of the place.  Went at least twice a week up until the end.  And through my line of work, I sort of saw the inside scoop of what happened in the end.  Part of Tulsa seemed to die for me that summer.

Few places really distinguished what makes our community unique like that place.  It wasn't as good in the end, but it had something about it you can't find anywhere else.

I'd never BS on something as beloved as Nelson's.  I was fortunate to get to know Nelson Jr. and Suzanne in the early '90's.  Terrific people.  This is word I got last week from someone who had spoken with Barry that day (Okay, might have been his brother).

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org