A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:34:24 am
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brookside  (Read 106256 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2011, 10:43:36 pm »

Middle? Brookside, in my estimation, is only a few blocks long. At least there are only a few blocks, all north of QT, worthy of any type of neighborhood name.

You can call the area of Peoria south of QT Brookside if you want, but I'll call it generic Tulsa.

Imagine my dismay when I discovered legendary Beale Street in Memphis was actually slightly shorter than the more vibrant area of Brookside and not really much more compelling.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2011, 10:45:36 pm »

Imagine my dismay when I discovered legendary Beale Street in Memphis was actually slightly shorter than the more vibrant area of Brookside and not really much more compelling.

Kinda felt that way about Sixth Street when I went to Austin.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2011, 12:05:22 am »

Ah yes...Memphis . Another big loser with the Pyramid. But saw some special music there before it became?Huh a church?

Tulsa could have made the Brady, er Franklin, like Beale with %10 of the cost of the BOK. Brookside and Beale? No comparison. Apples to oranges.

Perhaps, the Brady, er Franklin, district could some day be compared. Two great anchors in the Cains and Old Lady....What $10,000,000 might have done for the area in 2025.

Another shoulda coulda woulda for Tea Town.

Brookside's just another street down some lonesome neighborhood. Little historical value compared to the potential of the Franklin district.
YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2011, 01:26:58 am »

Middle? Brookside, in my estimation, is only a few blocks long. At least there are only a few blocks, all north of QT, worthy of any type of neighborhood name.

You can call the area of Peoria south of QT Brookside if you want, but I'll call it generic Tulsa.

Start reading real estate ads and the Brookside "area" goes all the way down to 61st street.  A QT being on the south side of the 36th & Peoria intersection as a point of debate about Brookside becomes funny after that.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2011, 06:36:50 am »

Start reading real estate ads and the Brookside "area" goes all the way down to 61st street.  A QT being on the south side of the 36th & Peoria intersection as a point of debate about Brookside becomes funny after that.

Clever marketing.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2011, 07:58:26 am »

There are enough businesses concentrated on Peoria from 36th to 41st to warrant the name Brookside, IMO.  Not south of 41st though.  The neighborhood bounded by 31st, Riverside, Utica and 41st is also known as Brookside.  True the strip south of 36th along Peoria it is not as cohesive as the part north of 36th but there are plenty of unique businesses and it is somewhat pedestrian-friendly.  36th is currently a barrier between the two sides and this development does not help bridge that barrier.  

Brookside is good for Tulsa in many ways.  First it is centrally-located, a couple miles from downtown, a couple miles from Utica Square/Cherry Street, just a half miles from the river trails, etc.  It also has one of the better TPS schools (Eliot) and includes a large mix of housing and housing prices from 2 bd/1 ba houses going for 120K closer to the river to large homes pushing 1 million closer to Utica.  There is also the city's largest concentration of residential infill.  It is actually a part of inner city Tulsa that is attracting new families when many neighborhoods are losing them to south Tulsa and the suburbs.  Anything the city/developers/patrons can do to make it better and even more desirable is important.  There are not many neighborhoods in Tulsa with the same dynamics and mix of restaurants, retail and nightlife immediately adjacent to residential neighborhoods.

Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2011, 08:43:27 am »

There shouldn't be any argument that Brookside goes to 41st.  There happens to be a dense area of commercial businesses from 33rd to 36th in Brookside, but those few blocks do not define the limits of the neighborhood. 

Just ask the Bomasada group...
Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2011, 08:47:07 am »

Tulsa could have made the Brady, er Franklin, like Beale with %10 of the cost of the BOK. Brookside and Beale? No comparison. Apples to oranges.

Perhaps, the Brady, er Franklin, district could some day be compared. Two great anchors in the Cains and Old Lady....What $10,000,000 might have done for the area in 2025.

Another shoulda coulda woulda for Tea Town.

You should elaborate on what $10m could have done.  All that comes to my mind is streetscaping and parks.
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2011, 08:50:09 am »

Even though that kind of marketing can seem distasteful or like a lie, it's also a crucial part of the development ecosystem. It gives an up and coming district a shine, it creates interest (imprecise though it may be), and expands the boundaries of what the scientific definition of Brookside may be.  It's a variation of the old principal that if you say Brookside extends to 61st St. enough times, then it does.  And people will buy/build/visit all the way down to 61st.  
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2011, 09:54:27 am »

Brookside does extend to I-44 maybe even a little further......But that area is not a relevant as it was back in the day.....

CoffeeBean
Civic Leader

« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2011, 09:11:22 pm »

Brookside runs south somewhere of 45th. 

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2011, 09:57:45 pm »

Brookside runs south somewhere of 45th. 

Not the Brookside I know.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2011, 07:59:51 am »

I noticed Lambruzco's is advertising itself as being located in "Lower Brookside".  So is Upper Brookside from 41st St north and Lower Brookside from 41st St south? 

AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2011, 03:27:47 pm »

I noticed Lambruzco's is advertising itself as being located in "Lower Brookside".  So is Upper Brookside from 41st St north and Lower Brookside from 41st St south? 

Lambrusco'z is actually just encouraging people to visit Brookside north of 41st - they're not saying that's where they are located. Technically, by your logic, they would be Upper Brookside since they are on the south side of 41st st.

And might I just say... Lambrusco'z is truly Tulsa's best deli and caterer. Word.  Cool
OpenYourEyesTulsa
Civic Leader

« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2011, 01:00:22 pm »

Has anyone on the forum been to Edmonton, Alberta in Canada?  They have this really great street called Whyte Ave. and it is what I hope Brookside will become all the way from I-44 to 31st.

I like the wide sidewalks and the shops, bars, theaters, and restaurants being close to the street.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotos-g154914-d156146-Whyte_Avenue-Edmonton_Alberta.html#19019742
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org