A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 11:00:08 pm
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Downtown Development Overview  (Read 1107687 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #2145 on: May 10, 2024, 08:43:47 am »

Yes

And if your exhaustively detailed assurances are wrong, is there a plan for remediation?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Tulsan
Civic Leader

« Reply #2146 on: May 10, 2024, 07:26:39 pm »

And if your exhaustively detailed assurances are wrong, is there a plan for remediation?

Bro you think I’m in charge?

The echo is from the concrete benches. They’re leaving these in place. Not tocuhcing them, not putting anything between them and the center of the circle. Intuitively, it should not change the echo if you don’t put anything between you and the echo. Empirically, sound engineers said it will work.

I don’t know what else to tell you. It is falling apart. They have to fix it. The plan is sound. (Hehe)

Relax
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #2147 on: May 12, 2024, 10:10:41 pm »

With proper acoustic modeling it shouldn't be an issue. That being said, it would need proper maintenance of any landscaping that might absorb sound.

I hope that it works.
buffalodan
Activist

« Reply #2148 on: May 13, 2024, 09:46:58 am »

I'm jealous that you guys are able to hear anything spooky at all. I've never felt like it has been anything that special acoustically. I've tried it like 5 times and I always just feel like somebody is playing a trick on me.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #2149 on: May 13, 2024, 10:02:07 am »

I'm jealous that you guys are able to hear anything spooky at all. I've never felt like it has been anything that special acoustically. I've tried it like 5 times and I always just feel like somebody is playing a trick on me.

Back in the late 80's I was going to school at Spartan. There was the guy from Philadelphia that was about 20 and just as gullible as could be. He was asking about City Of Faith and I told him that if you go out there at sunrise you can watch the praying hands open.

He came to class Monday seriously asking "I waited for an hour and they didn't open. Is there something wrong with them?"
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #2150 on: May 13, 2024, 11:17:23 am »

Same. It's like it sounds a little funky, but I can't really explain it, and it certainly wasn't what is always described in articles. Always felt more like an urban legend based on my experiences.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #2151 on: May 13, 2024, 12:03:04 pm »

Same. It's like it sounds a little funky, but I can't really explain it, and it certainly wasn't what is always described in articles. Always felt more like an urban legend based on my experiences.

From Atlas Obscura:

As the legend goes, a foghorn could be going off in the center of the circle and those on the outside wouldn’t hear it. This may be an exaggeration, but your voice does sound extremely distorted when heard from outside the circle. It’s an incredible effect.

Like the Lake George Mystery Spot—another acoustical vortex that seems to defy the laws of physics—the effect is thought to be caused by the sound reflecting off a circular wall, in this case a nearby planter. Still, though many people have studied the cause of the odd anomaly there’s no clear consensus. Whatever the causes of this natural sonic distortion may be, it is truly an amazing place.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/the-center-of-the-universe-tulsa-oklahoma

I had to look it up because I couldn't remember when this came a thing. It was after the bridge was repaired from a fire that it became "center of the universe" as the point between North Tulsa and South Tulsa, and then the cloud was around the time they moved Mayfest to that area.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #2152 on: May 13, 2024, 08:20:44 pm »

The echo is from the concrete benches. They’re leaving these in place. Not tocuhcing them, not putting anything between them and the center of the circle. Intuitively, it should not change the echo if you don’t put anything between you and the echo. Empirically, sound engineers said it will work.
I don’t know what else to tell you. It is falling apart. They have to fix it. The plan is sound. (Hehe)

Empirically, introducing an absorptive or reflective surface, like the "Signature Shade Structure" could have the effect of unbalancing the noise-canceling phenomena.  Think common-mode cancellation where a signal of equal amplitude but opposite phase is used to flatten a waveform, and then change one of the parameters and it breaks down.  Im really hoping a sound engineer took that into account, because the bridge does need repair and doing nothing could b just as bad if not worse.

Im not concerned about the needed repair, its the addition of cosmetic frills that worries me.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org