A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 09:18:13 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa Dog Park  (Read 31960 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2008, 03:00:08 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TeeDub

On second thought...  Maybe this is a bad idea...

Who is going to pay for insurance and for the city attorney's time when someone gets bitten and sees all the dollar signs?

I can't say that people are above suing not only the dog owner, but also the city for allowing an exception to the leash law.

What does Oklahoma City, Norman, Edmond, Del City, Enid, Wichita, Austin, Dallas, Des Moines, Little Rock, Albuquerque, Portland et al do?  I'm sure we could contact OKC and find out in short order.  

I assume there is standard language on a waiver sign (like "swim at your own risk" or at City own golf courses).  Plus, the city is generally not responsible for the negligence of others (if said dog attacked you in a given park now would it not be argued that but for not having a dog park this would not have happened?) and there would be some assumption of the risk.  The merits of any such a case are really week and after the first on is tossed the issue would be dead (in my unprofessional legal opinion).  

OKC Posted Rules:

quote:
Paw Park Regulations

For you and your dog's safety and pleasure:

* Aggressive or unruly dogs must be removed from PAW Park immediately
    * Handlers and their dogs enter the Park at their own risk
    * Dogs must be attended at all times.
    * Handlers must quickly clean up after their dogs (plastic bags and containers are provided)
    * Handlers must be at least 18 years or older (unless accompanied by an adult)
    * For their own safety, No children under 10 years old are allowed in the park.
    * Dogs in heat are prohibited
    * Puppies must be at least four months old

Please pick up the poop!

* No food, rawhides, tobacco, alcohol or glass containers please (training ‘treats’ are permitted)
    * Limit of two dogs per handler
    * Handlers are responsible for damage caused by their dogs
    * Shoes must be worn in the Park (dogs excluded)
    * Small dog area is limited to dogs of thirty pounds or less. Handicapped or elderly, larger dogs are also allowed in this area.
    * Dogs must be in general good health
    * Dogs must be wearing a current Rabies tag
    * Contact PAW OK at: www.PAWOK.COM  or 405-782-431

http://www.pawok.com/regulations.htm
- - -

Custosnox:

I would be very happy to help with this effort.    Please PM me and I will respond with contact information.  Step 1 will be to contact the OKC group and get a course of action from them (no need to re-write the script).

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2008, 03:12:45 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TeeDub

On second thought...  Maybe this is a bad idea...

Who is going to pay for insurance and for the city attorney's time when someone gets bitten and sees all the dollar signs?

I can't say that people are above suing not only the dog owner, but also the city for allowing an exception to the leash law.

Prominently posted signs do the trick in the other cities:

"By entering this dog park, the park user agrees to hold the City of Tulsa Parks and Recreation Department harmless and free from liability from any action of any park users or their dogs. Park users agree to fully comply with posted rules and take full legal liability from any action of their own or their dogs."
CoffeeBean
Civic Leader

« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2008, 05:20:29 pm »

CF -

I wasn't poo-pooing the idea of a dog park, but at the same time, I don't want people to be discouraged from enjoying the parks with their dogs.  

People with well-behaved dogs should know that, under certain circumstances, their dogs can run off leash w/o fear of running afoul of the law.

I understand the reality of keeping a dog "under immediate control" which is why I premised the post with ". . . assuming you can maintain control over your unleashed dog . . ."

Perhaps Kaiser can set aside some acreage on Riverside for a dog park.

godboko71
Philanthropist

« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2008, 01:58:02 pm »

If any of you are serius about forming a group to help hopefully get Tulsa a long over due dog part please email me or PM me, would be more then willing to help in any way I can.

Thank you,
Robert Town
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2008, 11:54:43 am »

Okay folks, just an update on this.  There are some pretty big plans on the horizon on this.  Right now it is still on the planning and pushing part, but it's a start.  For the time being, I'm not going to throw out names or locations until something more formal is in place, but at least two dog parks may be in our cities future.  Keep your fingers crossed.
Aa5drvr
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2008, 03:42:14 pm »

Michael Vick and his ilk would love to use this as their sparring gym.
TulsaTonight
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2008, 09:15:36 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by custosnox

Okay folks, just an update on this.  There are some pretty big plans on the horizon on this.  Right now it is still on the planning and pushing part, but it's a start.  For the time being, I'm not going to throw out names or locations until something more formal is in place, but at least two dog parks may be in our cities future.  Keep your fingers crossed.

Any updates on this as yet? Several visitors to the Woodward area park were ticketed last week for off leash dogs.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2008, 08:17:33 am »

I'd be pissed if I got a ticket there.  I understand it is within the law, but on any given night you can find a dozen dog owners with animals off the leash.  It has become the defacto dog park, since we don't have a real one.

My favorite part though, is that people who argue Tulsa needs to be an urban and progressive city don't see how things like dog parks fit into the picture...

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2008, 12:42:29 pm »

Nothing as of yet on updates, and I am overdue for one.  I think I'll fire off an email to see if anything has changed to bring it closer to fruitation.
bobbie
Tourist

« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2008, 12:33:15 pm »

So what are the rules? I was warned before I got to Woodward park on the day they were ticketing (thankfully) about no leash. From the laws it looks like "under control" or "at heal" which neither specify a leash so how can it be possible to get fined for not having one? BTW I am all for un-mannered dogs to be on leashes.... however my dog behaves better than my own nieces and nephews (sad right?) and the parks are perfect for letting her run.

I've lived with her in other cities with great dog parks. I would be all for helping to support one here. The first we were exposed to had a park employee on duty during park hours and he could ask people with aggressive dogs to leave.... we also had to sign in (a waiver) each time we arrived, and it was $2 per person (dogs were free, limit 2 per person). The second was a volunteer-based park with no hours, and worked with donations only. Both were successful although it was nice having a park employee on-hand for the very busy times.

I'm not sure how to go about having the city approve anything like this, but if anyone else knows how to initiate it, I would be more than willing to help in any way.

jne
Philanthropist

« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2008, 09:45:55 am »

quote:
Originally posted by bobbie

So what are the rules? I was warned before I got to Woodward park on the day they were ticketing (thankfully) about no leash. From the laws it looks like "under control" or "at heal" which neither specify a leash so how can it be possible to get fined for not having one? BTW I am all for un-mannered dogs to be on leashes.... however my dog behaves better than my own nieces and nephews (sad right?) and the parks are perfect for letting her run.

I've lived with her in other cities with great dog parks. I would be all for helping to support one here. The first we were exposed to had a park employee on duty during park hours and he could ask people with aggressive dogs to leave.... we also had to sign in (a waiver) each time we arrived, and it was $2 per person (dogs were free, limit 2 per person). The second was a volunteer-based park with no hours, and worked with donations only. Both were successful although it was nice having a park employee on-hand for the very busy times.

I'm not sure how to go about having the city approve anything like this, but if anyone else knows how to initiate it, I would be more than willing to help in any way.

I would consider volunteering to lifeguard a dog park and I know my fiance would be glad to serve some time in the summers when she isn't teaching.

Vote for the two party system!
-one one Friday and one on Saturday.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2008, 09:19:16 am »

I am patiently waiting for word on the progress of our own dog parks.  I am supposed to be recieving an email today on if it is to go forward or not.  Once I get this, I will let everyone know what is going on.  For those who have volunteered, I just may be in contact with you in the future.  

As far as the "at control" leash law, as far as I know, noone has faught a ticket on the grounds that they had their dog "at control".  Until someone does, The law will be left open to interpretation, which pretty much will mean when you don't have a leash on your animal.
bobbie
Tourist

« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2008, 09:20:34 am »

Thanks to the channel 2 broadcast, there has been a lot of recent talk about a dog park. I know there is a parks meeting June 3 that supposedly will bring the issue up. There is a yahoo groups set forth for getting a dog park in tulsa, and we're having our first meeting next week to become organized before the parks meeting.  If anyone is interested in going, check out http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tulsabarkpark/  or you can email me for info.  bobbie1@gmail.com

dbacks fan
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2008, 10:17:00 am »

Here are a couple of links to a dog park in Gilbert, AZ. The first is a review of the park and the second is from the towns website.

http://www.neighborhoodvet.com/site/content/cosmo-dog-park-page1.html

http://www.ci.gilbert.az.us/parks/popups/cosmo-park.cfm

I think last year it was rated number one in the US.
dayzella
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2008, 08:04:29 am »

quote:
Originally posted by bobbie

Thanks to the channel 2 broadcast, there has been a lot of recent talk about a dog park. I know there is a parks meeting June 3 that supposedly will bring the issue up. There is a yahoo groups set forth for getting a dog park in tulsa, and we're having our first meeting next week to become organized before the parks meeting.  If anyone is interested in going, check out http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tulsabarkpark/  or you can email me for info.  bobbie1@gmail.com

Thanks for mentioning this, and thanks to Moderator for linking to this thread.  I joined the yahoo group.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org