A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:35:31 am
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa Dog Park  (Read 31798 times)
Mark Scieszinski
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2008, 02:55:09 pm »

Go to
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tulsabarkpark/

to find out about the dog parks opening in tulsa
octavia918
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2008, 09:43:34 am »

Well I have to say that I cant WAIT until we get a dog park. I have been debating going to the City of Tulsa and seeing what I can do to get things on a roll. I watched a special on News on 6 this morning that there is someone that is trying to get one going here in Tulsa.

My brother in law lives in Austin, TX and I love the atmosphere there. Young couples, losts of outdoor activities and not to mention like 13 dog parks. I was there a couple weeks ago and Austin had their Annual Dog Walk. The city actually closed down most of the downtown area so the residents could get out and walk their dogs.(They also had multiple dog activities, races, games, etc) Some of them were on leashes and some where not. There thousands of people out, and not to mention thousands of dogs.

Why cant Tulsa be like this? We have a great city, we just need the right people in office first, and then some motivated people to get the word out, petitions or something. Come on people lets get out there do something, it will never happen if all we do is get online and complain about it!

I am going to look more into this and research who is trying to push this issue and get something done.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2008, 02:03:40 pm »

I kinda like the name "Dog Task Force".
It sounds like some short-lived federal grant that runs out leaving everyone in a bogus panic. [Shocked)]

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2008, 03:14:32 am »

quote:
Originally posted by patric

I kinda like the name "Dog Task Force".
It sounds like some short-lived federal grant that runs out leaving everyone in a bogus panic. [Shocked)]

That's exactly what it is supposed to be, all sizzle, no steak. It's just like the Tree Advisory Committee, the Working In Neighborhoods Department, Neighborfests, etc. Keep 'em weak with the Delphi technique.

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
debaliz
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2008, 03:07:30 pm »

I have a great idea for a location of a dog park in Tulsa!  It is on the corner of 145th E. Ave. and 11th Street.  The northeast corner.  There is a huge area of land there and it would be perfect for a dog park.  What do we have to do get together and get someone to buy it and donate it?  That's asking alot I know, but I would be glad to donate!
Debbi
debaliz
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2008, 03:18:10 pm »

Anyone that lives in Tulsa knows that Oklahoma is not a pet friendly state.  I have never so many stray animals in my life!  I have been to both coasts and as far north as Michigan and Wisconsin and as far south as Houston, and NEVER have I seen such a lack of resources and total disregard by local law makers as Oklahoma for our four legged friends.  There is but a small group of people that really care about this heartbreaking problem that we have on our hands here.  The puppy mill thing is out of control, we try to get a law to ban them, but our redneck government is too influenced by puppymill lobby apparently.  It is so sad and makes me feel so helpless!  It seems that we take one step forward and 3 steps back.  Our mayor  is trying to put on a front that she cares by hiring a new city vet, but uncover the truth and find out all the perks that came with that job and the mayor's relationship to this new vet.  It is astounding the nepotism.  I hate to be Debbi Downer, but the news is all bad in Oklahoma!
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2008, 06:18:44 pm »

This Mayor is trying to fix the shelter. She made the most major changes in the last twenty years. She took it out from under the police department and changed the top leaders.

She is quite the dog person. I believe she really cares about this and is working to make a dog park happen.

You sound like a disgruntled citizen who wouldn't be satisfied no matter what changes are made.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2008, 01:06:43 am »

quote:
Originally posted by RecycleMichael

This Mayor is trying to fix the shelter. She made the most major changes in the last twenty years. She took it out from under the police department and changed the top leaders.

She is quite the dog person. I believe she really cares about this and is working to make a dog park happen.

You sound like a disgruntled citizen who wouldn't be satisfied no matter what changes are made.

Really? Then why not just make the Arboretum an official dog park? It is a common sense, simple solution to a stupid situation. Like her majesty would keep it simple when she could assemble yet another do nothing, go nowhere task force full of loyal sycophantic servants to the Krystal Kastle Kourt of Queen Kathy to study the issue to death? The C.E.O is M.I.A. I'll judge for myself whether Da Mare is dog friendly or not. The last thing I would do is take the bloated, bloviating, bureaucratic, spittle-soaked, spin of the Politburocrat who banned dogs from Mayfest as gospel.

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2008, 09:22:57 pm »

City OK's Off-Leash Dogpark

quote:
"Tulsa is getting its first off-leash dog park and may end up with a total of three such parks throughout the city.  

The Park and Recreation Board on Tuesday approved converting a city-owned, unused, fenced baseball field located just west of Newblock Park on the north side of Charles Page Boulevard into a dog park.  

“The creation of off-leash dog parks is almost certainly the most significant change which has occurred in public parks in North America during the past decade,” Herb Beattie, chairman of a city dog-park task force, told the board.

Beattie said that he hopes to have the park in operation by the end of next week, with two areas to segregate large and small dogs and with access to water.  

If that doesn’t happen, he said, the park will be open by the end of the month.  

Oklahoma City has had an off-leash dog park for a little more than a year on the southeast side of Lake Hefner and “it is very successful and very busy,” said Scott Copelin, Oklahoma City park planner.  

Susan Neal, who sits on the park board for Mayor Kathy Taylor, said the recommendation from the task force is reasonable and will “meet the growing interest in the community.”  

“Sometimes when you’re the last one on your block to do something that lots of other cities have done, you have the benefit of all the practices where things went wrong and where things went right,” she said.  

Beattie said the unused ballfield can be quickly converted at a minimum expense. Beattie said the task force, made up of citizens, city, county and Humane Society officials, and a veterinarian has concluded that the existing demand for off-leash dog parks requires that at least one or two additional parks be created.

On Tuesday, the board also approved moving forward on two other potential dog park sites — one in Hicks Park, 3443 S. Mingo Road, and the other somewhere on the state right of way between the Broken Arrow Expressway and 13th Street and Cincinnati and Peoria avenues.  

Public hearings to receive input will occur prior to any decisions on the other sites, Beattie said.  

Park Board member Dale McNamara said the effort is “just a win-win situation for everyone.”

Beattie acknowledged that there is no city money available to create the dog parks. “This means we have to assemble a very committed group of volunteers to not only raise funds, but help manage and operate the dog parks,” Beattie said.  

The board said that opening any of the sites is contingent on raising the funds needed for the conversion. The entire area must be fenced with areas segregating large and small dogs. There also must be satisfactory parking.  

To provide additional fencing at the ball field site and a gate for mowing access is estimated to cost $6,800.  

The ultimate goal is to have “three areas” with the third one used to rotate the usage so that the grass can re-establish itself in areas worn down by the larger dogs, the board was told.  

Max Wiens, interim park director, said once fencing is erected to created two areas, the Newblock site can open while the city waits for fundraising to pay for other needs there, which are estimated to cost $19,985.  

An array of future improvements at the site — ranging from reconfiguring rest rooms to 4-foot-wide concrete walks meandering throughout the off-leash areas — is estimated to cost $72,260.  

Assistant City Attorney Kurt Ackermann said the city’s animal ordinance will need a minor adjustment that recognizes the off-leash park. Currently, animals must be leashed or under immediate control of their owners.  

Beattie said donations can be made to Tulsa Community Foundation, c/o Bark Park Foundation, 7030 S. Yale Ave., Suite 600, Tulsa, 74136.  

(article quoted in its entirety)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2008, 08:22:21 am »

Well I'm happy that the city is moving forward with dog parks, I am disappointed that the proposed location are well outside of walking distance from midtown or other areas where the city is encouraging density.  Hopefully the mystery dog park #3 hit in an area where we are encouraging density (downtown even?).

BUT, glad to see something done.  Not complaining, just always wanting more (stupid public never satisfied).

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2008, 08:51:01 am »

Maple Park would be a good location, walking distance from most of midtown and downtown and near River Parks (on the trail that connects to the pedestrian bridge).  Plus great skyline views.

They could fence in an area at the south end of the park where there are currently just trees and open space.  There is plenty of space for fenced areas for both large and small dogs.

Nik
Philanthropist

« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2008, 12:03:50 pm »

This is definitely a good start. Hopefully, people will come out and use it and show the city how popular these are to encourage the development of more parks.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #72 on: July 03, 2008, 12:54:05 pm »

Since there is no money to create a dog park, I think the team mostly did a good job finding locations that can be converted easily and cheaply.

Newblock park is not that far from downtown, its just over the railroad bridge on 3rd. You can also get there from the River Parks trails.

The 3rd proposed area seems strange to me, it would be just south of Tracy park in the H51 right of way.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #73 on: July 03, 2008, 01:27:18 pm »

Drive down 13th between Detroit and Peoria.

It is a great park like area that would be perfect with the right fence.

Power is nothing till you use it.
TulsaTonight
« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2008, 11:17:27 am »

Here you go - Tulsa Bark Park opens August 9th, 2008.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org