A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:15:32 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (PROJECT) QT Park - 41st & Riverside  (Read 67171 times)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2008, 05:15:16 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by waterboy

But unless you want to rev up an airboat and fly across it at 50mph it is a barrier. Let me know....I'm game.

I call shotgun
perspicuity85
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2008, 12:58:32 am »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

quote:
Originally posted by perspicuity85

quote:

quote:

I've always thought that area is a good location for water taxis.  The absence of a vehicular bridge doesn't mean there can't be a connection between both sides of the river.  I would like to see water taxis or small ferries run between the Riverview area, the Riverwest Festival Park, and the 41st St. park.  Maybe it could be a private enterprise- partially financed by potential developers of Riverside projects (i.e. Branson Landing group).

Unless you build a lock, your water taxis would have to be able to fly.

Is there any type of boat at all that is well suited to carry passengers across the river in that area?

There are boats who can navigate the river, but they can't get over the low-water dam at 31st. It's a several foot drop.

Wow, I feel like an idiot.  I completely forgot about the low water dam.  Okay, what about a boat that simply crosses the river?  One boat would transport passengers between the edge of Downtown, the new Route 66 River Roadhouse, and the RiverWest Festival Park.  Another boat would take people from the QT Park to the west side.  Of course, increased development on the west side is necessary for the transport to be viable.  However, it is possible that a passenger boat service could itself spur development on the west side.  It's kind of a chicken-or-egg situation.
waterboy
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2008, 06:42:22 am »

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I've always thought that area is a good location for water taxis.  The absence of a vehicular bridge doesn't mean there can't be a connection between both sides of the river.  I would like to see water taxis or small ferries run between the Riverview area, the Riverwest Festival Park, and the 41st St. park.  Maybe it could be a private enterprise- partially financed by potential developers of Riverside projects (i.e. Branson Landing group).

Unless you build a lock, your water taxis would have to be able to fly.

Is there any type of boat at all that is well suited to carry passengers across the river in that area?

There are boats who can navigate the river, but they can't get over the low-water dam at 31st. It's a several foot drop.

Wow, I feel like an idiot.  I completely forgot about the low water dam.  Okay, what about a boat that simply crosses the river?  One boat would transport passengers between the edge of Downtown, the new Route 66 River Roadhouse, and the RiverWest Festival Park.  Another boat would take people from the QT Park to the west side.  Of course, increased development on the west side is necessary for the transport to be viable.  However, it is possible that a passenger boat service could itself spur development on the west side.  It's kind of a chicken-or-egg situation.

Do you have my posts blocked?

It is possible but you answered your own question. There is virtually nothing to transport people to visit in those areas unless there is a festival or other west bank activity. The ferry itself becomes the activity. And where are the ports? The infrastructure necessary to operate between those ports is absent and difficult to secure as it requires lengthy approval by Corps., RPA, and Levee district bureaucracy. Then who pays for docks, ramps, boathouses, staircases etc? Currently the only port that is the least bit feasible is the 19th street Rivers Edge fishing pier. Who provides security and rescue and to what degree? In OKC they had the opportunity to build their river from scratch and had Chesapeake to pay for a lot of it so these issues were addressed. The foundation money here is being used to do deferred maintenance and cosmetic improvements probably because that will get the most visible return and is less complicated than port development.

I do believe that development and usage go hand in hand but the impediments to development on this river continue to be ignored. Don't perceive my remarks as cynical or negative. I love the river and believe such concepts will happen. It takes a common vision, some teamwork that overlooks political/social differences, and a committment. If you are serious about how it could be done and why its not, pm me and I'll be glad to give you some insights and detail how it could happen.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2008, 08:39:22 am »

I'd be a HUGE fan of a river ferry to the West bank for special occasions.  Oktoberfest most notably.  Ignoring the fact that it is probably not feasible, it would be cool.
- - -

More to the point, while an actual transport system on the river is probably not feasible, one would think SOME recreation use would be.  ie. paddle boat rentals on Zink lake (current conditions pending of course), little remote control boats in attached ponds, junk like that.

Just thinking of things I have seen on other waterways with nice parks along them that incorporate the water.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2008, 08:42:40 am »

Has the possibility of a large catapult been looked into?

waterboy
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2008, 09:07:43 am »

I think you guys are jacking with me. Not nice to prank your friends and supporters. Not my fault I got middle aged and feeble minded. Oh, well, at least I left the sidelines and got some playing time. Have a nice weekend and look for my kayak on the river!
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2008, 09:29:39 am »

I'm not jacking with you.  My post was actually sincere.  I was thinking of a park in Des Moines that has paddle boats and RC boats as well as a low pedestrian bridge over a river lake in the middle of the city.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
waterboy
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2008, 01:37:03 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

I'm not jacking with you.  My post was actually sincere.  I was thinking of a park in Des Moines that has paddle boats and RC boats as well as a low pedestrian bridge over a river lake in the middle of the city.

No big deal. I posted earlier in this thread about my experience in running a ferry for the Oktoberfest and other festivals. I also used it for patio boat parties for two summers on this river. It was great fun but there is little profit to be made and lots of infrastructure needs. Not to mention lots of turf defending. Currently any potential dollar made on the water is viewed as being at the expense of those utilizing space on the banks. Isn't true but that was the feeling by them.
joiei
City Father

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2008, 06:12:05 pm »

quote:

quote:

But unless you want to rev up an airboat and fly across it at 50mph it is a barrier. Let me know....I'm game.

I call shotgun

I did take the airboat ride up the river to the dam, that was excellent.  If you can, I highly recommend going for it.  You get views of the dam and views of downtown that you otherwise will never see.

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
waterboy
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2008, 08:16:44 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by joiei

quote:

quote:

I call shotgun

I did take the airboat ride up the river to the dam, that was excellent.  If you can, I highly recommend going for it.  You get views of the dam and views of downtown that you otherwise will never see.

That is very gratifying to hear Joie. Was I your guide? And did I do a 360 degree power slide for you?[Cheesy] Unfortunately I no longer am able to provide those rides. You are one of a select few (about a 1000) who where able to enjoy those views.
Kenosha
Philanthropist

« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2008, 04:56:43 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by YoungTulsan

+2

dbacks fan
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2008, 03:46:08 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kenosha

quote:
Originally posted by YoungTulsan

+2

Nah, this is what you need.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67fFDiPRsrk&feature=related
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 03:56:55 pm by dbacks fan » Logged
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2008, 03:53:30 pm »

Was there ever any mention of a possible start time for this project?

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2008, 06:23:19 pm »

It's supposed to finish in late september.

They better get to work.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2008, 06:45:11 pm »

Aint noooo way. Impossible.   Sept 2009 perhaps?

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org