A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:48:08 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Obama lying about oil money  (Read 5798 times)
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« on: March 29, 2008, 04:46:32 pm »

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/03/28/834887.aspx

From NBC/NJ’s Aswini Anburajan
GREENBURG, Pa. -- The Clinton campaign today accused the Obama campaign of "false advertising," claiming that a recent ad Obama released in Pennsylvania was disngenous because Obama has been the recipient of more than $200,000 from the oil and gas industry.

In the ad, Obama says, "I'm Barack Obama, and I don't take money from oil companies or lobbyists, and I won't let them block change any more."

Obama has taken $213,884 from the oil and gas industry as of Feb. 29th, according to the Center for Responsive Politics. Sen. Hillary Clinton has taken $306,813 in that same period.

Two of Obama's campaign bundlers are also CEOs for oil and gas companies, per a list released on his campaign Web site.

Robert Cavnar, listed as a bundler who has raised between $50,000 to $100,000 for the campaign, is the chairman and CEO of Mission Resources Corp., a Houston-based firm. George Kaiser, also listed in the same $50,000 to $100,000 category, is the CEO of Tulsa-based Kaiser-Francis Oil Company.

"It's unfortunate that Senator Obama is using false advertising to explain why he can be trusted to do something about energy prices," Clinton spokesman Phil Singer said.  "Senator Obama says he doesn't take campaign contributions from oil companies but the reality is that Exxon, Shell, and others are among his donors."

Obama routinely criticizes companies like Exxon-Mobil on the stump, but over the course of his presidential campaign he has taken more than $30,000 from individuals working for Exxon-Mobil. Clinton has taken more than $20,000 from Exxon-Mobil in the same period.

Just last month, Obama took more than $11,000 from individuals at Exxon-Mobil, per the center. At least 12 of those contributions came from individuals who contributed $250 each, the lowest listed donation. In that same period, Clinton took more than $3,000 from individuals working at Exxon-Mobil.

However, many of those contributions appear to come from workers at the firm not just executives. For example, Patrice McGowan, an Exxon-Mobil shift supervisor, who lives in Joliet, Ill., has donated $982 to Obama as of January. She also has a blog profile on Obama’s campaign Web site.

“I am a single woman who has worked shift work all my life, sometimes never seeing another woman on the job for weeks,” her profile reads, in part.

In a statement today, Obama spokesman Bill Burton, reiterated that Obama doesn't take PAC money or money from federal registered lobbyists, and "that includes oil companies and oil lobbyists."

Picking on the energy industry is a standard part of Obama's stump speech, where he harshly criticizes the 2005 energy bill and the Vice President Dick Cheney's efforts in passing it.

"Exxon Mobil reported more than $10 billion in quarterly profits," Obama told a town hall in Greenburg, Pa. today. And then referring to Cheney, he added, "He met with the oil and gas companies 40 times. So is it any wonder than that the energy laws that were written were good for Exxon-Mobil but they are not good for you?"

However, Obama did vote for that bill and has been repeatedly criticized by the Clinton campaign for the vote. Obama has defended that vote saying that despite it being a "flawed bill," it had strong provisions for alternative fuels and was the best deal that could be struck on the issue.  

Today, spokeswoman Jen Psaki said the bill, supported by Pennsylvania Congressmen Murtha and Kanjorski "actually raised taxes on oil companies and made the largest investment in renewable energy in our nation's history."

Despite the attacks, Obama doesn't appear to be backing down from his criticism of the energy industry or on special interest influences.

"I don't take PAC money,” he said this evening. “I don't take money from federal registered lobbyists. I don't want those strings attached.”

Power is nothing till you use it.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 05:11:11 pm »

Are you kidding? Clinton is accusing somebody of lying?

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
USRufnex
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 07:30:10 pm »

Let's see... George Kaiser is a GOOD GUY when he's offering tens of millions of dollars to enhance the city of Tulsa...

But George Kaiser is a BAD GUY when he supports Barack Obama...

Yeah, right.  Maybe Recycle and Friendly Bear are birds of a feather, after all...

Using the Clinton campaign's lying-sack-of-spinlogic, if I give $$$ to Obama's campaign, it means Obama is taking money from the telecommunications industry...

Typical Clinton BS.
[Shocked)]

pmcalk
City Mother
City Father

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 07:37:05 pm »

Obama has always said that he doesn't take from PACs or lobbyists, but that he takes from individual donors.  To tell a person that you won't accept their money is a slap in the face.

Taking money from an oil person doesn't necessarily mean that they think Obama will support oil interests.  Maybe George Kaiser gave him money because of Obama's committement to early education.  Obama's visit here included a tour of the Educare center in Kendall-Whittier, followed by a meeting with Mr. Kaiser.  There are many philanthropic organizations in which Mr. Kaiser has interests.  Anyone of those could have been the basis for his committment to Obama.

Rm, are you saying that, since Mr. Kaiser is in the oil industry, he has no right to have a say as an individual who should be president?  Are you saying Obama should have told Mr. Kaiser he didn't want his money?  It's one thing to reject PACs & Lobbyists, who sole purpose is to influence votes in the government.  It's quite another to deny individuals the right to have their voices heard through campaign contributions.  Next, are you going to say that Obama cannot ask for the vote of individuals who work in the oil industry?

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 10:18:36 pm »

I am saying that Obama is lying.

He has every right to take money from any individual and any individual has a right to contribute to him. He knows clearly well that people in the oil industry gave him money, but he made a campaign commercial where he said he didn't take money from oil companies.

When the CEO of an oil company becomes a campaign bundler for you, you don't get to pander to the American public and attack oil companies and lie about your relationship with them.

Obama folks said Hillary lied when she embellished her personal story about a trip to Bosnia. To me, Obama's lie is worse. He made a paid commercial.

USRufnex
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 08:59:35 am »

Actually, RM is LYING.

George Kaiser isn't an oil company.  These days, he could more accurately be portrayed as someone from the banking industry.

If I remember it right, Kaiser's fundraiser for Obama was due to the candidate's support for early childhood education.

Once again...... it's scary to see Clinton supporters using every possible lawyeristic tactic, dancing on the head of a pin.....

When Recycle starts using the same kinds of thread titles and conspiracy theories as Friendly Bear in his support for Hillary Clinton, well.... it's silly season in politics.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 09:34:04 am by USRufnex » Logged
pmcalk
City Mother
City Father

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 09:06:27 am »

quote:
Originally posted by RecycleMichael

I am saying that Obama is lying.

He has every right to take money from any individual and any individual has a right to contribute to him. He knows clearly well that people in the oil industry gave him money, but he made a campaign commercial where he said he didn't take money from oil companies.

When the CEO of an oil company becomes a campaign bundler for you, you don't get to pander to the American public and attack oil companies and lie about your relationship with them.

Obama folks said Hillary lied when she embellished her personal story about a trip to Bosnia. To me, Obama's lie is worse. He made a paid commercial.

Obama said he would not take money from oil companies, and in fact he does not take money from oil companies.  He never said he refuses money from individuals based upon where they work. To call him a liar is quite the spin, RM.

On the other hand, Hillary said she landed in Bosnia amid sniper fire with her.  That was not true.  She said that there was no ground sermony.  There was.  She said they ran off the plane with their heads down.  They did not.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTcsWneLqKw

I understand the need to paint Obama a liar to divert attention from Hillary's silly statements.  Frankly, I don't think her statements are such a big deal, except that it calls into question her judgement.  Why would you tell a story that could so easily be checked?  And to claim that the place was too dangerous for your husband, so he sent his wife and daughter instead is just silly.

USRufnex
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 09:22:52 am »

The truth about George Kaiser and Obama...

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=070320_1_A6_pDemo46047

Obama stumps in Tulsa, OKC
By ANGEL RIGGS AND RANDY KREHBIEL World Staff Writers
3/20/2007

Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama swept through the state Monday, calling for education and health-care reform and for withdrawing troops from Iraq while raising more than $300,000 during stops in Tulsa and Oklahoma City.

Obama paid a surprise visit to the Tulsa Educare Center, 2511 E. Fifth Place, shortly after noon and then attended a private fundraiser at energy and banking executive George Kaiser's home.

The U.S. senator from Illinois then traveled to Oklahoma City for a late-afternoon rally that packed the Farmers' Market, another private fundraiser, and an appearance on "Larry King Live."

Obama praised Oklahoma's early childhood education efforts during his public comments and mentioned his Educare tour.

"If it works in Oklahoma, why don't we do it in the whole country?" he asked.

Obama spoke for about 25 minutes to a crowd of more than 1,000 people who paid $25 each to see him at the Oklahoma City Farmers' Market. He told the group that teachers should be paid more and that student performance should be improved by working with educators.

"We've got an education system that's leaving too many children behind," he said.

Obama said withdrawing troops from Iraq should begin May 1 and be complete by March 31, 2008.

"It's time for us to bring this war to a close," he said.

The treatment of returning veterans, he said, is "the one thing that we still have the opportunity to get right in this war."

That treatment should include first-class health care and job training, Obama said.

"When our veterans come home, they shouldn't be homeless; they shouldn't be digging through Dumpsters for food."

Obama also called for a new health-care system that would provide nationwide coverage and increase funding for preventive care.

"If we create a smarter health-care system, there is no reason why we can't make sure every American has health care," he said.

Obama also called for an energy policy that includes a greater focus on alternative fuels, solar and wind power, and a more efficient oil industry. He likened an investment in a more economic and efficient energy source to the country's push in the 1960s to land on the moon.

"If we can send a man to the moon, we can find a new energy source on this planet," he said.

Obama's campaign had kept his stop at the Educare Center so quiet that only two people there knew that he was coming.

Those two, Co-Director Carol Rowland and Associate Director of Early Childhood Education Lyn Lucas, were sworn to secrecy.

"We didn't find out until Friday, and we were told not to tell anyone," Rowland said.

Obama strolled through the center, asking questions of the staff and peeking into rooms where children were stretched out for early afternoon naps.

"Can I have a mat, too?" he asked at one point.

Obama said he has worked with the Ounce of Prevention Fund, which originated the Educare concept, since his days in the Illinois Legislature. Noticing the name of fund co-founder Irving Harris on a plaque just inside the Tulsa Educare Center, Obama pointed and said, "He was a very good friend."

Obama seemed particularly impressed by the center's artwork and layout and by the presence of a family medical clinic staffed by the University of Oklahoma College of Medicine.

"I've been a big proponent of early childhood education for some time," he said. "I'm extremely pleased and proud of Oklahoma for the groundbreaking work that's being done here."
USRufnex
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 09:26:19 am »

http://www.time-blog.com/swampland/2008/03/the_contributor_gotcha_game.html

.....First of all, the numbers in the Clinton release -- while a tidy sum to many (including me) -- are not especially significant amounts in the absurdly grand scheme of contribution things. Traditional energy companies don't even show up in the top 20 of the industries that have given to Obama during his career -- in order to get on that list, a sector would have have to have given him over $600,000. And any single company would have to have given him over $173,000.

Second of all, does Hillary even want to play this game? Catching Obama out on a relatively small donation from Exxon is, I guess, a success of some sort in this tacky tit-for-tat game, but Clinton herself has received over $23,000 from ExxonMobile, $9,350 from Chevron, and $3,750 from BP (maybe more -- BP employees seem lax about how they fill in that blank). Oh, and in this cycle? She's taken $289,000 from the oil and gas industry in general.  And there's the real money: the lobbying sector is the 18th-most generous industry to Hillary (having given $1.4M -- lobbyists may be "people too," they're also clearly RICH people); she's the recipient of the third greatest amount from lobbyists to politicians overall from 1989-2004, the second among mortgage bankers and brokers, and the first among hedge funds. These last three listings are especially impressive, given that she'd only been in office for four years. In just the presidential campaign, lobbyists have given her almost a million dollars, compared to the $500,000 they've given McCain, and $105,000 they've given to Obama.

By comparison, Obama's lists for his pre-presidential period are positively quaint: He's third among clergy, third among educators, and second among alternative energy producers. But that money was all donated before he signed to a major label and started playing stadiums.

Once he hit the big time, in the 2007-08 election cycle, he kept the interest of the religious, the educated, and the do-gooders, but also zoomed to the second on the list for donations received by the mortgage industry. Over all cycles, since 1990, Clinton still tops the list, and Obama comes in eighth. To quote St. McCain: "We're all dirty."

« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 09:42:48 am by USRufnex » Logged
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 09:36:48 am »

Of course, Obama doesn't take money from oil companies. Corporations can't give to campaigns. But Obama clearly knows where the money comes from and is acting like he doesn't. This is a poor excuse, only eclipsed by his answer that he didn't listen to his preacher make outrageous remarks. His outright lies are once again given a pass by the media and by his supporters. Sorry, he (and you supporters) need to answer some questions.

Why would Obama pay for ads that have false information?

Why would Obama run an ad in Pennsylvania (coal country) that attacks oil companies?

Why is when I defend my candidate you call it spin and not when you defend your candidate?

Why do you fail to understand that an oil company executive that made his fortune in oil and now owns a bank is not still an oil man?

Why won't you admit that his statements were a lie?

Why would you question Hillary's judgement and not Obama's judgement to do a real estate deal with a known Chicago mobster?

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 09:38:28 am »

quote:
Originally posted by USRufnex
...but Clinton herself has received over $23,000 from ExxonMobile, $9,350 from Chevron, and $3,750 from BP (maybe more -- BP employees seem lax about how they fill in that blank). Oh, and in this cycle? She's taken $289,000 from the oil and gas industry in general.[/b]

Hillary isn't running ads lying about where her money comes from. Obama is.

USRufnex
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 09:59:44 am »

Why?  Why?  Why?  Why?  Why?  Why?

Ed W
City Father

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 11:15:27 am »

quote:
Originally posted by RecycleMichael

Why would Obama run an ad in Pennsylvania (coal country) that attacks oil companies?

I can answer this one.  A lot of people throughout the Northeast who lived through the oil embargo back in the 70s can recall the infamous "let them freeze in the dark" statements from the oil producing states.

RM, Hilary Clinton is a known quantity to all of us.  We know what we can expect from another Clinton presidency - carefully worded statements, triangulation, and artful dissembling.  Unfortunately, her husband is the likeable one of the two.  Hillary comes across as stubborn and unwilling to admit error, not unlike the present administration.

So the choice comes down to McCain (Bush III), Clinton (Bush Lite) or Obama.

But I say again, it's extremely unlikely that Oklahoma's electoral votes will go to anyone other than a Republican.  Why keep beating the drum for Hillary?  Our primary is over.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
FOTD
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 12:22:41 pm »

USR! Great posts (especially Tanya).

Kaiser s/b secretary of education in the next admin. but is not likely because of his schedule, commitments, and status but he'd be a major player no doubt.

Anyway, keep the magic moving along.

BTW, I found an original Rufnex ball cap cleaning out the garage this morning. My hats off to you.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2008, 01:15:32 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Ed W
But I say again, it's extremely unlikely that Oklahoma's electoral votes will go to anyone other than a Republican.  Why keep beating the drum for Hillary?  Our primary is over.

Just because I live in Oklahoma doesn't change what I believe in.

If you don't believe in fighting for what you want, even when there are many against you, you won't understand.

Hillary has been treated unfairly by the media in this campaign. She has also been attacked by the far right and the liars in talk radio. When you added in the ramblings of FOTD...it just became too much. Somebody had to defend her.

She has fought for improving this country, even when people told her to stay home and bake cookies. If Michell Obama becomes the first lady, she will benefit from the actions of Hillary. Hillary has a voting record that I almost a hundred percent agree with as a U.S. Senator and has put together a campaign platform that will make America rebound from the disaster years of Bush.

I said it before. Electing Hillary will change this country. I will support Obama if he is the nominee, but I believe Hillary is better prepared to be the next President.

I will keep beating the drum as long as she has a chance to win.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org