A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:34:21 am
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Updates on Abundant Life Bldg (Tulsa Club moved to its own thread)  (Read 206131 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #390 on: December 15, 2016, 02:50:28 pm »

Can we separate this discussion into two threads: (1) Tulsa Club, which is a real project at this point and will be a crown jewel for downtown on the same level of the Mayo and (2) Abundant Life, which continues to rot away with no viable plan and needs to meet an ARK Wrecking crew ASAP..

We started a seperate thread for the Tulsa Club a week ago, I PM'd the Moderator to update the thread title:
http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/index.php?topic=21435.0

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
AdamsHall
Civic Leader

« Reply #391 on: December 18, 2019, 07:16:56 pm »

Construction fence going up around Abundant Life building.  Anyone know what is going on?
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #392 on: December 19, 2019, 09:09:43 am »

I'll bet the building has finally fallen into enough disrepair to finally warrant demolition. I'm betting it becomes nothing more than parking for the time being.
AdamsHall
Civic Leader

« Reply #393 on: December 19, 2019, 09:47:31 am »

I'll bet the building has finally fallen into enough disrepair to finally warrant demolition. I'm betting it becomes nothing more than parking for the time being.

Maybe.  They have also set-up side-walk protective scaffolding.  Really curious to see what happens on this one.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #394 on: December 19, 2019, 12:40:26 pm »

In this rare case that will actually be an improvement.  My hope is that someday soon the land is valuable enough that multi-story residences can replace those parking lots along the west side of Boulder. 

TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #395 on: December 19, 2019, 12:57:39 pm »

This is an ugly building, but I'm wondering if some sort of genius redesign could make it look like an art installation.

Maybe the facade is a big part of the problem (too hard to maintain). I don't think a parking lot is an improvement. If the structure is in tact, renovating should be the way to go.
AdamsHall
Civic Leader

« Reply #396 on: December 20, 2019, 10:58:13 am »

This is an ugly building, but I'm wondering if some sort of genius redesign could make it look like an art installation.

Maybe the facade is a big part of the problem (too hard to maintain). I don't think a parking lot is an improvement. If the structure is in tact, renovating should be the way to go.

Facade coming down.  Developer trying to decide what to do with remaining structure, but appears to be trying to re-develop it.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #397 on: December 20, 2019, 11:20:39 am »

Facade coming down.  Developer trying to decide what to do with remaining structure, but appears to be trying to re-develop it.

The facade was already coming down all on it's own. Tear the building down.
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #398 on: December 20, 2019, 11:51:09 am »

https://ktul.com/news/local/iconic-downtown-building-losing-facade

Here is the news report. So basically they are just taking the facade itself down... so it will be even more of an ugly box. Not sure why people are trying so hard to save this thing. Especially now, there won't be any redeeming quality about it.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #399 on: December 20, 2019, 12:45:57 pm »

Presumably the facade became a safety issue.  I have mixed feelings about this one.  I hate to see old buildings torn down that could be repurposed, but this is such a strange building it might not be a realistic/practical rehab.
Tulsan
Civic Leader

« Reply #400 on: December 20, 2019, 03:48:53 pm »

The facade was already coming down all on it's own. Tear the building down.

It’s built like a brick smilehouse. Look at the foundation and steel framing. It can be gutted and stripped to the frame in a way that makes reuse possible.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #401 on: December 22, 2019, 12:43:21 am »

It’s built like a brick smilehouse. Look at the foundation and steel framing. It can be gutted and stripped to the frame in a way that makes reuse possible.

Nice find on the old pics!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
AdamsHall
Civic Leader

« Reply #402 on: June 22, 2020, 09:57:44 am »

Asbestos abatement work planned for Abundant Life building.

https://www.deq.ok.gov/2020-news-releases/deq-and-city-of-tulsa-join-forces-to-cleanup-asbestos-in-the-abundant-life-building/
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #403 on: June 22, 2020, 10:25:50 am »

I glanced at it while driving past a couple weeks ago and noticed that the lower levels looked like they had been covered with fresh mortar/stucco/whatever. Probably to keep the asbestos contained better.

When they say they are "cleaning it up", does that mean demolishing the building? At the very least I assume they will have to gut the structure to get it out.
AdamsHall
Civic Leader

« Reply #404 on: June 22, 2020, 01:20:16 pm »

I glanced at it while driving past a couple weeks ago and noticed that the lower levels looked like they had been covered with fresh mortar/stucco/whatever. Probably to keep the asbestos contained better.

When they say they are "cleaning it up", does that mean demolishing the building? At the very least I assume they will have to gut the structure to get it out.

Typically asbestos abatement does not require the demolition of the building structure, but they may need to do this in order to demolish the building.  Based upon the construction pictures provided, it seems there is a substantial metal superstructure, so it might make sense to remove the exterior concrete panels, and reconfigure with a modern skin.  I would be curious to know where they found asbestos, but I anticipate they are referring to interior sources, e.g., it could reside in floor tile, ceiling tile, boiler(s), popcorn ceiling treatment, etc.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org