A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:59:11 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Highway Lighting Costs  (Read 30954 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2019, 10:36:27 am »

Yep, one thing I don't miss about Tulsa is the traffic and the drivers.

As bad as Tulsa/Oklahoma drivers are in general, you damn sure wouldn't want to commute in Northern VA or North Texas/Dallas.  They make Tulsa drivers look like auto mensas....

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
rebound
City Father

« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2019, 11:26:52 am »

Tulsa is a strange mix of small town and big city driving, and it is the mix that causes a lot of the issues.   LA driving and Dallas area driving are similar, in that everyone knows its a competition, and everyone drives fast and aggressive.  I really get tired of that kind of driving, but at least you know what to expect and once you ramp up to that mode, it flows pretty well.  We have some of that in Tulsa, but also a lot of small-town type deferential driving.  Those two types of driving don't mesh well, and causes a lot of the confusion here, particularly on the highways.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2019, 11:58:24 am »

Tulsa is a strange mix of small town and big city driving, and it is the mix that causes a lot of the issues.   LA driving and Dallas area driving are similar, in that everyone knows its a competition, and everyone drives fast and aggressive.  I really get tired of that kind of driving, but at least you know what to expect and once you ramp up to that mode, it flows pretty well.  We have some of that in Tulsa, but also a lot of small-town type deferential driving.  Those two types of driving don't mesh well, and causes a lot of the confusion here, particularly on the highways.

I see a good example of that at certain onramps to the BA expressway. The "acceleration lanes" at Harvard are notoriously short and sometimes an expressway driver will slow to let me in but since they have the right-of-way I dont assume thats always the case.  That, and its an awfully dangerous  gesture of courtesy that could end in disaster.  I have a split second to decide either way.

Tulsa doesnt light expressways for safety but for the illusion of safety, and that illusion can also prove fatal.  People drive faster when expressways are lit like downtown streets, and pedestrians feel confident crossing in front of 65mph traffic because it looks safe.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org