A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:36:44 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ypTulsa = Muerto  (Read 9092 times)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« on: February 06, 2008, 06:57:30 am »

Discuss
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 07:16:40 am »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

Discuss

Help a n00b out.  What's ypTulsa?
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 08:10:22 am »

There are two organizations focused on "bringing and keeping young professionals in Tulsa"

Both fonded around the same time, one is tyPros, which is part of the Tulsa Chamber and generally make t-shirts and promotes Tulsa-related stuff. They are the younger, and generally more attractive, wing of the Chamber.

ypTulsa was independent and was all about "big ideas" and flashy graphics. They had organizational and focus group meetings about every other day, most of them at McNellie's. They succeeded in making up a slogan and a logo for Tulsa and that was about it.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 09:15:55 am »

Young professional?

I haven't been young for a long time and at best I have only been semi-professional.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 09:43:50 am »

So has YP Tulsa officially hung it up?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dayzella
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 10:07:02 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

So has YP Tulsa officially hung it up?

Because I'm nosy, I just called the number on the website.  The receptionist for Scott somebody's office said that she believes that ypTulsa was officially dissolved a few weeks ago.

I did not ask for Scott to give me a callback on that.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 10:07:23 am »

'tis what I heard.

If you'll notice, about 90% of their site doesn't work anymore.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 10:07:32 am »

Drunkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!....

Tallase
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 10:26:36 am »

Yes, YPTulsa has officially "hung it up".  But before you marginalize their existence you might want to consider what some of the members started or helped start in one way or another.  Things like Tulsa Tough, the “New Kind of Energy” campaign, and The Art Sampler are concrete examples, but they also got folks involved and working in the community.  They raised money for the Adoption Center, Child Abuse Network, and the Katrina Victims Fund.  They worked on “buy local” efforts and helped promote downtown development. The list could go on.  And most people who were around for the beginning would also say that YPTulsa started TYPros, but that is another story.

It is too bad that YPTulsa is gone because I think their hearts were in the right place, they did not want credit for what they did, they just wanted to make a positive impact on the city.  They did not want to become a purely social group, they wanted to “do something”. YPTulsa realized that Tulsa did not need another organization and when good ideas came up, they tended to pass them off to other organizations and let someone else run with it.  Perhaps that is why they failed.  Perhaps true altruism has no place in today’s society.  Perhaps nice guys do finish last.  I hope not.  

So you can say what you want but I know for a fact that they had more of an impact than simply holding focus groups and having meetings at McNellies.  I am sorry to see them go but hopefully the former members will continue to try to make a positive impact on this city.
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 07:36:43 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tallase

Yes, YPTulsa has officially "hung it up".  But before you marginalize their existence you might want to consider what some of the members started or helped start in one way or another.  Things like Tulsa Tough, the “New Kind of Energy” campaign, and The Art Sampler are concrete examples, but they also got folks involved and working in the community.  They raised money for the Adoption Center, Child Abuse Network, and the Katrina Victims Fund.  They worked on “buy local” efforts and helped promote downtown development. The list could go on.  And most people who were around for the beginning would also say that YPTulsa started TYPros, but that is another story.

It is too bad that YPTulsa is gone because I think their hearts were in the right place, they did not want credit for what they did, they just wanted to make a positive impact on the city.  They did not want to become a purely social group, they wanted to “do something”. YPTulsa realized that Tulsa did not need another organization and when good ideas came up, they tended to pass them off to other organizations and let someone else run with it.  Perhaps that is why they failed.  Perhaps true altruism has no place in today’s society.  Perhaps nice guys do finish last.  I hope not.  

So you can say what you want but I know for a fact that they had more of an impact than simply holding focus groups and having meetings at McNellies.  I am sorry to see them go but hopefully the former members will continue to try to make a positive impact on this city.

They were doomed from the start because they were not under the thumb of the establishment. The Tulsa Metro Chamber signed their death warrant, the blood is on their hands.

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
Tallase
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 08:55:00 am »

"They were doomed from the start because they were not under the thumb of the establishment. The Tulsa Metro Chamber signed their death warrant, the blood is on their hands."

Well, that is just sad.  I thought with Jay Clemens gone some things would change, guess not.  It sure is a good way to make creative and talented people want to leave tulsa.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 09:06:55 am »

You guys are blaming the Chamber President?

Maybe the people at ypTulsa just moved on. Maybe they didn't have a sustainable model to build on. Maybe they had the wrong leadership.

Blaming the Chamber because an unrelated social group failed is wrong.

Power is nothing till you use it.
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008, 11:59:30 am »

They never seemed to gain enough critical mass to survive as an organization. I have a feeling that may be the reason for their failure.

---Robert
tulsasignnazi
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2008, 12:48:48 pm »

New clubhouse:  Tulsa Young PROCRASTINATORS.  New rule:  ALWAYS be fashionably LATE.  [Tongue]
wordherder
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2008, 01:43:02 pm »

I don't think the chamber out-and-out destroyed them, but TYPros always had much more money than ypTulsa, which always operated on a shoestring budget.

Though I did hear an interesting story on the formation of the two groups.  The ypTulsa folk got together first, then approached the chamber for sponsorship.  The chamber said something along the lines of "sure, as long as we get to control everything you do."  The ypTulsa folk turned them down.

The chamber formed TYPros a month or two after that meeting.  What a wacky coinkydink.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org