A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:32:16 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Not My Fault"  (Read 6557 times)
FOTD
« on: January 22, 2008, 12:13:01 pm »

This guy needs to go and go now.....

Cargill, others behind on taxes!

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=20080122_1_A15_hFive50012
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 12:29:58 pm »

I'll go ahead and assume you don't like him for some other reason, because a slip in filing a tax return is not much of a reason to fire someone.  File the return, pay the fine and penalties... move on.  Show me some evidence or even an allegation of wrong doing and I'll get all upset.

He said "I made a mistake" and that both he and his accountant made bad assumptions that led to the mistake.  "I can't say it is somebody else's fault." " "This issue is now my No. 1 priority. I take full responsibility, and will not rest until I'm current," Armes said."  Cargill has a refund coming, it's not like he bailed on his tax bill.  Who knows about the others, but they should be treated like everyone else (fine them!).

To me it is understandable and a great illustration that even people IN our government struggle to comply with our government.  Clearly it is a huge over site and will come at a political cost.  But it's not like they perjured himself while in office and then pardoned people who helped them foster illicit gains or anything - that would be over the line.  [:O]

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
FOTD
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 12:37:39 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

I'll go ahead and assume you don't like him for some other reason, because a slip in filing a tax return is not much of a reason to fire someone.  File the return, pay the fine and penalties... move on.  Show me some evidence or even an allegation of wrong doing and I'll get all upset.

He said "I made a mistake" and that both he and his accountant made bad assumptions that led to the mistake.  "I can't say it is somebody else's fault." " "This issue is now my No. 1 priority. I take full responsibility, and will not rest until I'm current," Armes said."  Cargill has a refund coming, it's not like he bailed on his tax bill.  Who knows about the others, but they should be treated like everyone else (fine them!).

To me it is understandable and a great illustration that even people IN our government struggle to comply with our government.  Clearly it is a huge over site and will come at a political cost.  But it's not like they perjured himself while in office and then pardoned people who helped them foster illicit gains or anything - that would be over the line.  [:O]

I'll assume he's a lying dirt ball politician until proven otherwise.....
spoonbill
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 01:53:39 pm »

Happens all the time, it's just usually on the Dem's side

But I agree, it is odd for a Conservative.

Example:

In March 1992, Bill Clinton, running for President, acknowledged that he and his wife, Hillary, had improperly claimed tax deductions for interest payments that had actually been made by the Whitewater Development Company, not by themselves. Mr. Clinton and his aides said the couple's accountant had simply made a mistake, and he pledged to reimburse the Government.

But no payment was made to the Government until almost two years later, on Dec. 28, 1993.

But perhaps you're right.  I'm all for making 100% compliance to tax code a prerequisite for maintaining office.  And. . . if we did that, just watch how fast our politicians push to adopt a Fair Tax or Flat Tax system!
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 02:15:05 pm »

100% tax compliance, ha!  I'm willing to bet EVERY politician and most employees of the IRS would have an error found if audited.    Hell, if you call them with a specific question they usually don't have the answer.  When the government can't/won't answer the simple question of how much money you owe them, there's something wrong.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 02:28:56 pm »

The issue here is that this an FOTD/aox thread and the offending politician is a republican.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 03:41:55 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by guido911

The issue here is that this an FOTD/aox thread and the offending politician is a republican.

Not to mention the pot calling the kettle black....

FOTD
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 06:29:23 am »

Funny. You ignore my posts but read them? FOTD spread the blame for a broken country in every direction.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120096873322705473.html

"It's Easier To Feign Infallibility"

"At work, some people just won't admit to making a mistake. They have a gripping fear that it will indict their character, attract more work and invite future blame -- not to mention ruin a perfect record of never having admitted to one before.

To excel at never admitting mistakes, you have to take care to burnish your unaccountability and sorrylessness. It helps, for example, to have a fall guy, someone who has responsibility for a project who is less known to your boss than you are...."

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 09:05:45 am »

quote:
Originally posted by FOTD

Funny. You ignore my posts but read them? FOTD spread the blame for a broken country in every direction.

"At work, some people just won't admit to making a mistake. They have a gripping fear that it will indict their character, attract more work and invite future blame -- not to mention ruin a perfect record of never having admitted to one before.

To excel at never admitting mistakes, you have to take care to burnish your unaccountability and sorrylessness. It helps, for example, to have a fall guy, someone who has responsibility for a project who is less known to your boss than you are...."

What's funny aox is that you were allowed back on this forum.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
iplaw
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 09:16:49 am »

quote:

quote:

How else would we know what's being posted on moveon.org or the daily kos?
FOTD
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 12:28:12 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by iplaw

quote:

quote:

How else would we know what's being posted on moveon.org or the daily kos?

AOX may have been a disciple of FOTD.
Are you making excuses for The Lancer?
You do not read the links.... WALL STREET JOURNAL!
FOTD
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 10:36:55 am »

OK. If Oklahoma wants to elect clowns who don't comprehend the time value of a dollar nor the rules to play by, they deserve to get this ilk in their leadership ranks.

Speaker’s tax woes continue
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectID=11&articleID=20080127_1_A21_spanc50257

“They think any public official ought to take care of their tax business, because common people have to"

Cargill faces three other controversies

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectID=11&articleID=20080127_1_A28_spanc17150

Good work Tulsa World. Keep it up Mr. Hinton!

" don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" B. Dylan
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 04:16:30 pm »

This gets curiouser and curiouser.  If I had a property and didn't pay my taxes for six years, could I reasonably expect to retain possession of it?  Probably not.  The sheriff would show up on my doorstep some morning and all my goods would be piled up on the curb.  Yet, Mr. Cargill encountered no such penalty.

A reasonable person like me would assume there's some influence being exerted.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 10:42:56 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Ed W

This gets curiouser and curiouser.  If I had a property and didn't pay my taxes for six years, could I reasonably expect to retain possession of it?  Probably not.  The sheriff would show up on my doorstep some morning and all my goods would be piled up on the curb.  Yet, Mr. Cargill encountered no such penalty.

A reasonable person like me would assume there's some influence being exerted.

If that turns out to be the case I will call for heads.  Not only of the politicians, but of the anyone else complacent.  Any and all involved in overt corruption need to get booted and imprisoned.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
FOTD
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 11:13:42 am »

CF...please define more clearly what you consider "over the line".

We've gone from nothing to something in a week. Sometimes, you can tell by a persons agenda, in this case another bad politician, what lies beneath the surface. It's all about good versus evil.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org