A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:15:12 am
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where're all the 20 somethings?  (Read 11499 times)
we vs us
City Father

« on: January 04, 2008, 10:49:51 am »

Where are all the single, professional 26 yr olds who want to throw their disposable income around?  Why aren't they joining gyms, drinking more Starbucks, demanding condos nearer where they work?  Why aren't they going to plays, to comedy and improv nights, to dive bars to hear DJs spin, or to all night dance clubs, and then eating at local taquerias till the sun comes up?  Why aren't they eating more sushi, more tapas, more chicken wraps?  Why aren't they buying casual professional wear from Banana Republic, or J Crew, or Ann Taylor Loft; why aren't they plunking down cash on one-off purses and shoes; getting their hair cut in ridiculous ways that require buckets of product; getting facial peels and hot stone treatments. In short, where are the insufferable youngsters who will slather their money all over this city, just because they can?

Is this entire town married, with two kids, and puttering around on woodworking projects in the garage?  What gives?
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 11:07:19 am »

Hi, I'm a 20 something professional in Tulsa.  

I throw some of my disposable income around - this year I bought new floors for my house, a dishwasher, a sail boat, a new phone, ipod, digital camera for my boy, ate at some fine restaurants, bought fine wines, and all the normal things.

I don;t join gyms because I do not enjoy stationary exercise.  Give me a basketball game or a bike ride any day.

Starbucks fails to impress me.  Doubleshot coffee was my morning ritual when I worked downtown.  Now I hired Java Daves for my office coffee service.

I live within 5 miles of downtown, condo life is not for me as I have 140 pounds worth of dog and a boy who loves to play outside.

I very much enjoy going to plays (Tulsa's Rocky Horror will be an annual event, I have friends coming down from Iowa City for the ubiquitous Phantom this spring), too often comedy shows are painful instead of funny, I frequent the "dive bar" the Colony near my house, don't really enjoy dance clubs, and on account of work (mine and wife's) and children don't get a chance to go out as often as I used to (oh for the law school days).

I eat Sushi or other interesting food (read not fast good and usually non-chain, though I have a weakness for the melting pot) a few times a month.  Most of my casual wear is from Express, which I contend is a step above those listed.  I don't really care for named fashions so I'm admittedly lacking in this area - if your polo has the Armani Exchange logo on it I pretty much think you paid $85 for a $25 shirt.

I am also not one of the eccentrics you point out with wild hair nor facial peels.

I am married, with one kid, and spent entirely too much time puttering around with projects in my garage (boat, house, helping friends with projects).  Other free time is spent hiking, boating (I also have a fishing boat), going to college athletics, or maybe just sitting on my donkey with a good book or some crap on TV.  I guess in that light, I'm part of the problem.

Unless... it's Oktoberfest, St. Patricks, New Years, or some random occasion where I am let off my leash.
- - -

But as a whole, this town does lack the youthful feel.  The 20 somethings seem to either be into the "thug life" or more straight laced - little in between.  You see few of the ravers, punk rockers or other eccentrics.  But the going out for Sushi and getting drunk at Brookside/Cherry street/Blue Dome crowd is never lacking in my experience.  Could just be all my friends are alcoholic attorneys... actually, that's probably it.

I agree, it lacks the youthful feel.  I turned a 7 word response into a short novel.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 11:08:26 am »

and PS Wevus, give us the story.  If you have told it I'm sorry... but who, what where?

What do you do?
Where did you go to school?
Where did you move here from?
Why?
Know anyone or just randomly moved to Tulsa?

Just curious, I promise I'm not a stalker.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
inteller
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 01:01:15 pm »

well, I think your first mistake is assuming these people have disposable income to throw around.  Let's face it....with the sorry shape this country is in all of the SMART 20 somethings are probably socking back every penny they can get so they can retire with -something- and not live like a pauper.

Secondly, many of these 20-somethings are straddled with 10s of thousands of dollars in college debt (if they even went to college) so they are trying to pay it all back.

These mythical people you hear about are created by the media.  You just happen to see a few of the entitlement baby TYPOS that hang out down around the TMCC.
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 01:26:49 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

and PS Wevus, give us the story.  If you have told it I'm sorry... but who, what where?

What do you do?
Where did you go to school?
Where did you move here from?
Why?
Know anyone or just randomly moved to Tulsa?

Just curious, I promise I'm not a stalker.

Well now, the mystery is half the fun of the interwebs, wouldn't you agree?  I will say that I'm not a 20 something (older'n you, at least, CF), am married with no kids, just moved here from Chicago, where my wife and I lived for 8 years.  Work brought her and I tagged along.  I'm doing some internet consulting for my former employer but am looking for steadier local work as well.  I spend most of my day on the computer, so that's why I'm hanging around all the time.  I've got y'all on auto-refresh [Wink]

And yeah, grew up in Northwest Arkansas, so I'm familiar with the region, but don't know a soul in Tulsa except y'all.  

There're obviously huge differences between Tulsa and Chicago, but I've been trying to see past them to understand where Tulsa might be going. Tulsa's still a city, after all, and subject to the same forces that Chicago is.

Much of Chicago is booming, and a lot of the gentrification going on there has to do with gainfully employed, single 20 somethings slinging their money around. And other smaller cities (Kansas City and Nashville are two examples I'm familiar with) are relying in part on that same group to fund a lot of the revitalization with their spending habits.  

So my list above, while I meant it kinda tongue-in-cheek, is still valid.  My wife and I are still looking for a good and convenient gym, some good upscaley restaurants, and good local stores that are in a walkable area.  And yeah, even a Starbucks wouldn't be awful.  Brookside looks to be the sum total of what's available.  Maybe Cherry Street.  Anything else I'm missing?
Dana431
Armchair Urbanist
Civic Leader

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 01:44:16 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by we vs us

Is this entire town married, with two kids, and puttering around on woodworking projects in the garage?  What gives?

Yes, and this is why it is difficult to find a date in this town when you are in your thirties.[}:)]

I don't mean to to thread-jack.[Smiley]
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 02:11:29 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Dana431

quote:

Yes, and this is why it is difficult to find a date in this town when you are in your thirties.[}:)]

Wow.  Thread-jack away.

That just doesn't sound fun at all.  Thought about joining a church?
inteller
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 02:17:30 pm »

quote:

quote:

quote:

Wow.  Thread-jack away.

That just doesn't sound fun at all.  Thought about joining a church?

yeah, you'll find the kinkiest sexually pent up hotties at church.  You just have to put on holier than thou aires to get in their panties.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 03:49:09 pm »

Wevus,

Used to be the Jaycees was a pretty good place to meet other YP's and do some worthwhile things in the community.  I was very involved about 15-16 years ago.

I wasn't aware their ranks had shrunk so much.  According to a story in the World this morning, membership nationally has gone from a high of 350K down to about 1/10.  

My understanding is that TYPros and YPTulsa is the place to connect with other YP's.  So far as I know they just sponsor cocktail hours and have a web site where you can join.

One of the larger mega-churches like Asbury might be a good place to meet others like you and your wife.  If church isn't your cup-o-tea then there's plenty of other community things which seem to attract a younger demographic.

Hope all that helps.  Welcome to T-Town!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 04:04:23 pm »

I'm one of them.  28, single, etc.  I live in Dallas, not Tulsa, but when I visit, I know I can find my peers in five specific areas:

-Brookside:  Peoria between 33rd and 36th
-Cherry Street: 15th between Utica and Peoria
-Utica Square: 21st between Yorktown and Utica
-The intersection of 18th and Boston and immediate surroundings
-Blue Dome: The intersection of 2nd and Elgin and immediate surroundings

Each of these districts attracts the kiddos who are disposing of income on entertainment.  Contrary to the typical characterization, most of them grew up in normal households, went to college, maybe went to grad school, and earned it the normal way.

I lived in Chicago for three years, two of which were spent in Lincoln Park--yuppie ground zero.  You're not going to find a neighborhood in Tulsa that is quite like Lincoln Park, but if you go to the places I just listed, you'll see the closest thing Tulsa has to offer.  And if you go during certain times--the weekends surrounding holidays, especially--you'll see the huge potential for expanded shopping and entertainment zones in Tulsa.

EDIT:  I forgot the Brady district.  Haven't been down there for a while but I understand it's pretty popping too.
bluelake
Activist

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 04:28:27 pm »

quote:

quote:

Try being up here in Bartlesville and your definition of a bad dating environment will be redefined.  [}:)]

perspicuity85
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 05:16:02 pm »

quote:

Where are all the single, professional 26 yr olds who want to throw their disposable income around?  Why aren't they joining gyms, drinking more Starbucks, demanding condos nearer where they work?  Why aren't they going to plays, to comedy and improv nights, to dive bars to hear DJs spin, or to all night dance clubs, and then eating at local taquerias till the sun comes up?  Why aren't they eating more sushi, more tapas, more chicken wraps?  Why aren't they buying casual professional wear from Banana Republic, or J Crew, or Ann Taylor Loft; why aren't they plunking down cash on one-off purses and shoes; getting their hair cut in ridiculous ways that require buckets of product; getting facial peels and hot stone treatments. In short, where are the insufferable youngsters who will slather their money all over this city, just because they can?

You must live in suburban metro Tulsa, which is unfortunately about 80% or more of the city.  I grew up in south Tulsa, and will soon be finishing college out of state.  No offense to anyone on this board, but I don't think anyone truly understands the problems with Tulsa.  It's not that the city is so devoid of a culture attractive to young professionals, it's the fact that Tulsa doesn't market any of its assets to young professionals.  I knew SEVERAL people in high school who had never been to Downtown, Cherry st., or Brookside in their entire life, and had no desire to go there.  The only saving grace was Cain's Ballroom.  I on the other hand have always had friends in Midtown, so I actually went to Brookside, Downtown, and Cherry St., and continue to do so just about every time I'm in town.  Hopefully within a year I'll be landing a pretty decent job, and yes, the so-called young professional culture is something I'm looking for.  Will most of my peers choose Tulsa?  Probably not.  Will I?  Possibly, but I have to be honest, Tulsa is facing some serious competition.  My degree choice(s) (real estate finance & marketing) and my career aspirations have caused me to take a unique interest in Tulsa.  And yes, for what it's worth, I do wear clothes from Banana Republic and Diesel, even though I can't afford it.

My Two Cents:

Tulsa HAS to target market the suburbs.  Period.  The largest number of high school graduates in the metro area grow up in the suburbs.  When people leave for college, their perception of their hometown is firmly imprinted, and the opportunity cost of not creating demand for Tulsa's urban culture is at its highest.  Also let's not forget that a much higher percentage of suburban kids become traditional college students than the city schools' students.  From a marketing perspective, the young professional market is unapologetically well-educated and  upper-middle class.  

Demand must be created for the overall unique culture of Tulsa, and I'm not talking about Oklahoma!  Tulsa must be perceived as an entity in and of itself: the confluence of the Midwest, Southwest and South (you can have that quote for free[Wink])  The culture is what will draw in the young sexy folks.  Tulsa needs to talk about its entertainment districts, art galleries, world-class museums, performing arts, cultural and music festivals, and architectural masterpieces!  Talk about history that can be marketed: the Creeks, the roaring 20s, and Greenwood!  Talk about how Tulsa STILL has more upscale shopping stores than OKC.

I enjoy Downtown and Midtown greatly, as well as hanging out with the residents.  You guys are frankly a lot more "down" than some of the suburbanites I grew up with.  I have personally witnessed a tiny renaissance take place in Tulsa's entertainment districts in the past 5 years.  Hopefully it will continue to grow, but I can't help but notice how a little marketing effort would help.
dayzella
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 05:44:48 pm »

quote:

Tulsa needs to talk about its entertainment districts, art galleries, world-class museums, performing arts, cultural and music festivals, and architectural masterpieces!  Talk about history that can be marketed: the Creeks, the roaring 20s, and Greenwood!  Talk about how Tulsa STILL has more upscale shopping stores than OKC.

I apologize in advance in horning in on one small bit of vaulting rhetoric ...
but what Tulsa needs is less talking, more doing.

I can tell when I'm being marketed to, and it makes me want to bash someone with a stop it sticknot listen, even if what is trying to be sold to me really is a very nice piece of goods.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 05:55:31 pm »

Where are they?  Lets see, most of my friends moved to Dallas, Austin and Denver. I stayed, hoping things would get better,,, now I am a single 40 something who hasn't had a decent date since,,,, well, when I too was in my 20s lol. Oh well perhaps the old axiom really is true, Life sucks, then you die. [Tongue] You think its tough dating in this town when your in your 20s, try fining someone decent and single when your in your 40s.  Plus, I have noticed that there are sooo many poor people in this area. To try and find someone thats; bright, doesn't smoke, has a decent job, travels, good sense of self, is ambitious, in decent shape, aka a normal person,,,, is almost like asking for the impossible here. And YES I am bitter and jaded and have every right to be dang it lol. [8D]  

But if you know anyone who is single.....[Cool][Cheesy]

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008, 06:10:08 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by dayzella

quote:

Tulsa needs to talk about its entertainment districts, art galleries, world-class museums, performing arts, cultural and music festivals, and architectural masterpieces!  Talk about history that can be marketed: the Creeks, the roaring 20s, and Greenwood!  Talk about how Tulsa STILL has more upscale shopping stores than OKC.

I apologize in advance in horning in on one small bit of vaulting rhetoric ...
but what Tulsa needs is less talking, more doing.

I can tell when I'm being marketed to, and it makes me want to bash someone with a stop it sticknot listen, even if what is trying to be sold to me really is a very nice piece of goods.

Actually I think you are both right. We, Tulsans, need to not only sell Tulsa to the rest of the country. "They" dont even know we exist let alone what we have. Many Tulsans dont appreciate or often know what is here. But yes we also need to learn how to live, to have expectations for ourselves. Its almost as though we dont have the examples here to follow, and to get those examples its going to take those pioneers doing it and hanging in there long enough to build up enough different life options to make that "here it is" "here we are" "this is what it can be like" statement.

And really importantly I think a lot of what we need is just an attitude change. To those who do know a bit about Tulsa, part of the perception has lately become, we are a city of negativiy and whiners. Yes, I occasionally fall into that myself. And I need to not drop the ball and keep looking at, and talking up, the great things we do have. Hope springs eternal.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org