A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 07:42:06 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: &#$% your 'urban canopy'!  (Read 11890 times)
tim huntzinger
« on: December 12, 2007, 09:17:00 am »

I hope all those fussbudgets who gave AEP a hard time about trimming their trees are enjoying the cold!  Of course, if AEP had been doing it right to begin with their customers would not have had to squeal like stuck pigs.  A perfect storm of stoooopidity.

On the bright side, when they came last summer to trim my pecan, they were apologizing and real timid.  I told them to have their way with it, they were like 'Really??'

BTW, we kept our power . . .
inteller
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 09:30:43 am »

quote:
Originally posted by tim huntzinger

I hope all those fussbudgets who gave AEP a hard time about trimming their trees are enjoying the cold!  Of course, if AEP had been doing it right to begin with their customers would not have had to squeal like stuck pigs.  A perfect storm of stoooopidity.

On the bright side, when they came last summer to trim my pecan, they were apologizing and real timid.  I told them to have their way with it, they were like 'Really??'

BTW, we kept our power . . .

this cold isn't all that bad really.  For the short time I was out I discovered that I sleep better in a cold house.  the only disappointment that I have is that obviously burying powerlines doesn't matter a diddly damn if somewhere else on the circuit it is not buried.
Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 09:32:47 am »

For a person attempting to gain a local internet presence as provider of Tulsa news, that's a rather hateful statement for no good reason.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 09:41:19 am »

Gimme da green box...heh...

tim huntzinger
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 10:01:53 am »

Floyd, it is troubling that Tulsans have left these killer trees unmolested for so long.  What, two years ago two folk were killed in separate accidents by TREES.  And what do they do for us? Just wave their stupid leaves for a few months, then clog our storm drains, falling granches on the chillllldren.

TREES.  What are they good for? Absolutely nothing!
Chicken Little
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 10:05:35 am »

quote:
Originally posted by intellerFor the short time I was out I discovered that I sleep better in a cold house.
Most people do.  Get yerself some pj's, a down comforter, and a programmable thermostat and you can cut your heating bills by 20%.  Been doing it for years.  My nightime temp is 62.
Chicken Little
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 10:06:27 am »

quote:
Originally posted by tim huntzinger

Floyd, it is troubling that Tulsans have left these killer trees unmolested for so long.  What, two years ago two folk were killed in separate accidents by TREES.  And what do they do for us? Just wave their stupid leaves for a few months, then clog our storm drains, falling granches on the chillllldren.

TREES.  What are they good for? Absolutely nothing!

Maybe it's not the trees that need molesting, maybe it's PSO.  Bury the lines.
spoonbill
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 10:07:05 am »

We gotta band together against the trees.  We have intelligence that this is part of a larger conspiracy!

I've been hearing chatter among my shrubs that the trees are planning a much larger attack.  

I've been trying to get a mole into the organization, but unfortunately, all of my moles are hibernating.
inteller
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 10:14:39 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Chicken Littlemolesting, maybe it's PSO.  Bury the lines.

burying doesn't do **** unless you bury the entire circuit.  this was proven in my neighborhood.
tim huntzinger
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 10:14:51 am »

They just stand around, looking allllll innocent, then WHAM when you least expect it, they strike!

Maples getting all ugly when they get old, pecans cantankerous, and do not get me started on the Bradford Pear weeds . . .
inteller
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007, 10:25:58 am »

hey, the good news is though that the bradford pears downtown are largely decimated.  Now it is time for the city to do the right thing and plant maples along Brady St.
Chicken Little
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2007, 10:42:17 am »

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

quote:
Originally posted by Chicken Littlemolesting, maybe it's PSO.  Bury the lines.

burying doesn't do **** unless you bury the entire circuit.  this was proven in my neighborhood.

They could do the entire circuit with minimal disruption.  It's all a question of will.

And I don't think the power company has the will.  Now's not the time to get all conspiratorial, but, I bet the AEPPSO is going to make money on this deal.  Between FEMA and their ability to petition the State for lost revenue, I don't think they'll be too motivated to change.
T-Town Now
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2007, 10:59:53 am »

The power lines should have been buried a long time ago. I see with all the street widening projects going on around town, they still aren't burying the lines. Seems the expense to do so at that time would be minimal to PSO.

Instead, we get bigger poles with more ugly lines dangling overhead. Someday the citizens of Tulsa will wake up and realize what a blight all these power lines and poles are on the city, and that our trees are one of the few things that truly sets this city apart from others.

I haven't had power since early Monday morning, and my Cox phone is out as well.

I went through the same thing in 1987, and we still haven't learned to bury the lines and keep the power on. Wind in Oklahoma? Ice? Who could have ever imagined such things could possibly happen? [?]
dsjeffries
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2007, 11:26:47 am »

I'm just surprised that nobody has yet claimed that Kathy Taylor is the cause of this ice storm [Wink].  You know, to take the focus off the Complete the Streets committee [Wink][Wink]. Maybe I should check the Tulsa World comments--I bet someone has.

In all seriousness, though, our power lines should have been buried.  The power lines in Brookside could have been buried when Peoria was all torn up and it would've saved money on several fronts: the cost of businesses being closed, the cost of employees not being able to work (lost productivity), not to mention the cost of Lost Sales Tax Revenues, the cost of re-stringing our power lines, or replacing the entire poles, the cost of the many small fires open wires cause, the cost of...

Sure, burying lines might be more expensive than sticking them to a pole 40 feet in the air, but it's MUCH more cost-effective in the long run, including the hidden societal benefits and costs.
tim huntzinger
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007, 11:31:15 am »

Mayor Taylor was in cahoots with the trees I tell you! This will help her when she runs for President!!

DScott, you get any good pics of the mess?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org