A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:29:21 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OHP Not Sure About Lights  (Read 27851 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« on: December 01, 2007, 03:31:34 pm »

KOTV: "The highway patrol isn't sure yet if Trooper Williams was driving with his emergency strobes or siren activated or if his dashboard camera was running when the accident happened."
http://www.kotv.com/news/local/story/?id=140803

"Initial reports indicate that the woman pulled out from a convenience store and was trying to turn left in front of the trooper. Her car was hit near the driver's door."  (Tulsa World)

My question would have been the issue with night vision related to the victim having just pulled out of a brightly-lit gas station onto a dark country road.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Wilbur
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 04:48:54 pm »

Channel 8 is reporting both lights and siren were on:

http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/1107/476866.html
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 11:06:06 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Wilbur

Channel 8 is reporting both lights and siren were on

...as did everyone else who quoted the OHP spokeswoman's initial statement.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
TUalum0982
Philanthropist

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 08:47:41 am »

quote:
Originally posted by patric

quote:

Channel 8 is reporting both lights and siren were on

...as did everyone else who quoted the OHP spokeswoman's initial statement.

knowing quite a few troopers personally, I can say once they turn on the lights their dash cam already goes into record mode and their body mic (if they are wearing it) is turned on.  So if his lights were on, the camera was recording and vise versa.

"You cant solve Stupid." 
"I don't do sorry, sorry is for criminals and screw ups."
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 10:39:01 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TUalum0982

I can say once they turn on the lights their dash cam already goes into record mode and their body mic (if they are wearing it) is turned on.  So if his lights were on, the camera was recording and vise versa.

Yup, that's how I understand it.
So an absence of dashcam video documenting the crash might imply what?

Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 11:00:49 pm »

quote:

quote:

I can say once they turn on the lights their dash cam already goes into record mode and their body mic (if they are wearing it) is turned on.  So if his lights were on, the camera was recording and vise versa.

Coverup?
TUalum0982
Philanthropist

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 07:37:19 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by wavoka

quote:

quote:

Coverup?

WINNAR!!!! something just doesnt seem right with this situation.  In the absence of no dashcam, one would have to believe he didnt have his lights on.

"You cant solve Stupid." 
Wilbur
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 09:13:12 pm »

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Coverup?

WINNAR!!!! something just doesnt seem right with this situation.  In the absence of no dashcam, one would have to believe he didnt have his lights on.

And just how did we jump to that conclusion?
  Your personal investigation has revealed what?  Your knowledge of the facts has determined what?  Your discussions with investigators has found what?
TUalum0982
Philanthropist

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 01:08:34 pm »

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Coverup?

Your personal investigation has revealed what?  Your knowledge of the facts has determined what?  Your discussions with investigators has found what?

Well process of elimination would lend us to believe that in order for the dashcam to be on, he either has to activate his lights, or turn it on himself and his dashcam wasnt on, then that would lead me to believe that he didnt have his lights on. Unless he reached up himself to turn off the recording but that would go against policy.  So I am not implying there was a coverup, quite frankly I dont care either way, but I am pretty confident that if his lights were on, the dashcam would have been recording.  I thought that was common knowledge.

"You cant solve Stupid." 
Wilbur
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007, 05:31:55 pm »

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Coverup?

Well process of elimination would lend us to believe that in order for the dashcam to be on, he either has to activate his lights, or turn it on himself and his dashcam wasnt on, then that would lead me to believe that he didnt have his lights on. Unless he reached up himself to turn off the recording but that would go against policy.  So I am not implying there was a coverup, quite frankly I dont care either way, but I am pretty confident that if his lights were on, the dashcam would have been recording.  I thought that was common knowledge.

Do we know if:

1.  He even had a dash camera?  Not all OHP cars do.  They are very expensive.

2.  If he had a dash camera, did it have the option to automatically activate when the emergency lights are turned on?  Not all of these systems do this automatically.  Again, an issue of expense.  When Tulsa had dash cams, none of the systems did this.

If I remember correctly, he was responding to a collision.  Most officers would not activate a dash camera simply when responding to a wreck.

I don't know if his lights/siren were on the the time of the wreck, but I'm not going to scream coverup simply because there is no dash cam footage put out by OHP.  They have stepped up when one of their troopers was at-fault in a wreck in the past, so no reason not to do so again.
TUalum0982
Philanthropist

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2007, 08:52:55 pm »

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Coverup?

Do we know if:

2.  If he had a dash camera, did it have the option to automatically activate when the emergency lights are turned on?  Not all of these systems do this automatically.  Again, an issue of expense.  When Tulsa had dash cams, none of the systems did this.

If I remember correctly, he was responding to a collision.  Most officers would not activate a dash camera simply when responding to a wreck.

I don't know if his lights/siren were on the the time of the wreck, but I'm not going to scream coverup simply because there is no dash cam footage put out by OHP.  They have stepped up when one of their troopers was at-fault in a wreck in the past, so no reason not to do so again.

1.  I have never seen an OHP car that did not have a dash cam.  When they go through their academy they get specific training on how to properly use their dash cam.  Secondly, OHP is not like TPD where alot of times they have a backer.  OHP is out working on the highways 95% of the time by themselves without a backer.  

2.  Every single OHP car equipped with a dash cam is automatically turned on when the lights are activated.  Once again, I have never seen one that doesnt do this, its standard procedure.  You can not compare the dash cams that TPD used vs the ones that OHP uses.  TPD used a Sony unit that was very expensive to buy, maintain and replace.  It was a normal sony handycam you could buy in the stores that was retrofitted to mount to the dash.  Meanwhile, the OHP use a camera that is mounted to the windshield of a car next to the rearview mirror.  It is not of a typical design like you could buy in stores.  Next time you see a trooper have someone pulled over, check out the way they are parked behind them.  They park at an angle so their in car camera system can record anything that happens.  

They typically look like this:
http://www.mobile-vision.com/products/camsmicsmonitors/nitewatchcamera.htm  

and to your comment which stated "If I remember correctly, he was responding to a collision.  Most officers would not activate a dash camera simply when responding to a wreck"

Ask any OHP officer and they will tell you, once they turn on their lights, the camera AUTOMATICALLY STARTS RECORDING unless they manually stop it.  THATS STANDARD PROCEDURE ACROSS THE BOARD FOR ANY OHP TROOPER.  I have never ever ever seen an OHP cruiser that did not have a dash cam for the reasons I explained above.  Like I said earlier, I am not saying there is a cover up, but to sit there and try to compare TPD in dash cams to that of OHP is like comparing apples to oranges.  OHP's equipment is far superior then most TPD equipment.  

Who originally put the LED light bars on their cars to better be seen? thats right, OHP.  Who followed suit 2 or so years ago? thats right, TPD.  OHP has had these mobile vision cameras in their cars for years.  They are quite handy as well, you can rewind, pause, fast forward and delete just like you can with a typical VCR all on a nice 4" sized screen or so.  

Do me a favor, the next time you get pulled over a by a trooper check two things....Is he parked at angle behind you so his camera will catch anything that would happen and secondly, does he have a camera installed next to the rear view mirror.

"You cant solve Stupid." 
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007, 10:13:43 am »

quote:

They have stepped up when one of their troopers was at-fault in a wreck in the past, so no reason not to do so again.

OHP has gone to extraordinary lengths to avoid accountability in past at-fault wrecks, hardly what I would call 'stepping up'.
http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5058
Maybe months of going over laser-mapped evidence will again find the young mother's brakes werent "100%" or that pulling out of the blinding lights of the gas station made it more difficult to see a speeding car...  Maybe all of these factors could be true but it wont change the fact that a life was taken unnecessarily because someone was doing something they shouldnt be doing.

Wilbur
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2007, 05:43:12 pm »

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Coverup?

Do we know if:

1.  I have never seen an OHP car that did not have a dash cam.  When they go through their academy they get specific training on how to properly use their dash cam.  Secondly, OHP is not like TPD where alot of times they have a backer.  OHP is out working on the highways 95% of the time by themselves without a backer.  

2.  Every single OHP car equipped with a dash cam is automatically turned on when the lights are activated.  Once again, I have never seen one that doesnt do this, its standard procedure.  You can not compare the dash cams that TPD used vs the ones that OHP uses.  TPD used a Sony unit that was very expensive to buy, maintain and replace.  It was a normal sony handycam you could buy in the stores that was retrofitted to mount to the dash.  Meanwhile, the OHP use a camera that is mounted to the windshield of a car next to the rearview mirror.  It is not of a typical design like you could buy in stores.  Next time you see a trooper have someone pulled over, check out the way they are parked behind them.  They park at an angle so their in car camera system can record anything that happens.  

They typically look like this:
http://www.mobile-vision.com/products/camsmicsmonitors/nitewatchcamera.htm  

and to your comment which stated "If I remember correctly, he was responding to a collision.  Most officers would not activate a dash camera simply when responding to a wreck"

Ask any OHP officer and they will tell you, once they turn on their lights, the camera AUTOMATICALLY STARTS RECORDING unless they manually stop it.  THATS STANDARD PROCEDURE ACROSS THE BOARD FOR ANY OHP TROOPER.  I have never ever ever seen an OHP cruiser that did not have a dash cam for the reasons I explained above.  Like I said earlier, I am not saying there is a cover up, but to sit there and try to compare TPD in dash cams to that of OHP is like comparing apples to oranges.  OHP's equipment is far superior then most TPD equipment.  

Who originally put the LED light bars on their cars to better be seen? thats right, OHP.  Who followed suit 2 or so years ago? thats right, TPD.  OHP has had these mobile vision cameras in their cars for years.  They are quite handy as well, you can rewind, pause, fast forward and delete just like you can with a typical VCR all on a nice 4" sized screen or so.  

Do me a favor, the next time you get pulled over a by a trooper check two things....Is he parked at angle behind you so his camera will catch anything that would happen and secondly, does he have a camera installed next to the rear view mirror.

I'll ask again.  Do we know, with first hand knowledge, if that specific OHP police car had a dash cam and was it activated at the time?  Don't give me 'most police cars have them.'  Don't give me 'all troopers train on them.'  Don't give me other probabilities.  Give us facts, not assumptions!
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2008, 01:10:39 pm »

quote:

I'll ask again.  Do we know, with first hand knowledge, if that specific OHP police car had a dash cam and was it activated at the time?  Don't give me 'most police cars have them.'  Don't give me 'all troopers train on them.'  Don't give me other probabilities.  Give us facts, not assumptions!

If dashcam video were public record in Oklahoma (like it is in other states) we would have a better chance of answering those questions.  As it is now, it's like the fox guarding the hen house.

Wilbur
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2008, 04:34:35 pm »

quote:

quote:

If dashcam video were public record in Oklahoma (like it is in other states) we would have a better chance of answering those questions.  As it is now, it's like the fox guarding the hen house.

With nearly everything being public record, including all cellphone bills, emails and everything else, do we know for sure dash cam videos are not public record?  Has anyone asked?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org