A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:07:10 am
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 38   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Police misconduct 2  (Read 211964 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #330 on: March 02, 2015, 09:32:58 am »

Thats what happens when you grab the cops gun......

Right...since all four of them still had their guns shooting at him...

Guess we will have to wait to see what Internal Affairs says is the real cause of the shooting.

No matter what, it's just a shame all around.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 09:37:36 am by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #331 on: March 02, 2015, 12:28:55 pm »

Right...since all four of them still had their guns shooting at him...

Guess we will have to wait to see what Internal Affairs says is the real cause of the shooting.

No matter what, it's just a shame all around.

You are truly stupid.....

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #332 on: March 02, 2015, 01:37:24 pm »

You are truly stupid.....

Catchy comeback...the sign of truly impressive intellect.

As if the first knee jerk reaction comment prompting the response was not massively more stupid.  But wouldn't expect anything more...

With no clear input.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #333 on: March 02, 2015, 10:45:24 pm »

Indeed the media and the investigation will likely focus on whether Africa was reaching for an officer's gun when he got killed.

This is the wrong question. Instead, we need to look at why the officers decided to begin the encounter by aggressively charging into the victim's tent, dragging him out, and demanding compliance.
Africa was unarmed, homeless, African-American, and disabled. When these factors intersect in a single individual, as we've recently seen with high-profile case like the deaths of Eric Garner and Kajieme Powell, encounters with police too often escalate out of control.

For example, Ferguson, Missouri, officer Darren Wilson said he based his decision to use deadly force against Michael Brown on the claim that Brown grabbed for Wilson's gun. The LAPD blamed Ezell Ford, another unarmed mentally ill black man shot by police, for attempting "to remove the officer's handgun from its holster." Two New Jersey officers shouted, "Stop trying to take my gun" for the benefit of the camera, even though a later video revealed the victim was doing no such thing.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/02/opinion/perry-lapd-police-shooting/
Yelling "Gun!" is an old tactic to corrupt the memory of witnesses and enable an escalation of force, sort of like repeatedly shouting "Stop Resisting!" while beating someone up.

Los Angeles (CNN)The bystander who caught dramatic video of a fatal shooting by police in Los Angeles said Monday he didn't see the man reach for an officer's gun -- the explanation for the shooting given by police.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/02/us/los-angeles-police-shooting/index.html

The "I was afraid he was reaching for my gun" justification police are hoping to use hasnt been supported by any video or witnesses.
http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-lapd-shooting-20150302-story.html

[youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHIFsH_3NfE[/youtube]
TeeDub
« Reply #334 on: March 03, 2015, 10:41:58 am »

This is the wrong question. Instead, we need to look at why the officers decided to begin the encounter by aggressively charging into the victim's tent, dragging him out, and demanding compliance.

They charged into his tent and dragged him out because someone called 911 and said he was robbing someone.   Then he tried to hide in a tent.

Officers responded to a 911 call about a potential robbery Sunday afternoon near the Union Rescue Mission on Los Angeles’s Skid Row, a homeless community lined with tents and grocery carts. Security footage from the homeless shelter was described by the Associated Press, reportedly showing the suspect push over another person’s tent and then engage in an argument. When police arrived, the suspect jumped inside his tent. Officers “appeared to pull it up and over him in an attempt to roust him from inside,” the news agency reported, and then he reportedly started his struggle with police.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #335 on: March 03, 2015, 11:26:18 am »

They charged into his tent and dragged him out because someone called 911 and said he was robbing someone.   Then he tried to hide in a tent.

Officers responded to a 911 call about a potential robbery Sunday afternoon near the Union Rescue Mission on Los Angeles’s Skid Row, a homeless community lined with tents and grocery carts. Security footage from the homeless shelter was described by the Associated Press, reportedly showing the suspect push over another person’s tent and then engage in an argument. When police arrived, the suspect jumped inside his tent. Officers “appeared to pull it up and over him in an attempt to roust him from inside,” the news agency reported, and then he reportedly started his struggle with police.

Ceola Wadell was about 20 feet away from Africa's tent, when he said he saw a police car approach the man's home and then an officer "shake it like a rag doll." When Africa stepped out of the tent, police told him to get down, Waddell said. That's when one of the officers fired his Taser at the homeless man. But “Africa”  did not stay down, Wadell said on Monday.
Jose Gil, 38, said he saw Africa swinging at the police before one of the officers started shouting that the man was going for his gun.

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-lapd-shooting-20150302-story.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
TeeDub
« Reply #336 on: March 04, 2015, 08:39:49 pm »

Exactly.   After they tase you is not the time to argue.    That is when you find a good attorney.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #337 on: March 05, 2015, 09:27:46 am »

Perspective please. He lives in a temporary tent with a likely full time substance abuse problem and a bad attitude. Its a mental illness. He doesn't have a good attorney on speed dial. Likely doesn't have a cell that even works. Nonetheless, he and others like him, should be afforded the same respect and protections any other citizen enjoys. Or are we using them as experiments in who and how we take rights from?

Police don't like these people and don't tolerate much from them. I understand their reasons. However, authority is best used as a shield, not as a weapon.

onward...through the fog
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #338 on: March 05, 2015, 11:46:28 am »

Perspective please. He lives in a temporary tent with a likely full time substance abuse problem and a bad attitude. Its a mental illness. He doesn't have a good attorney on speed dial. Likely doesn't have a cell that even works. Nonetheless, he and others like him, should be afforded the same respect and protections any other citizen enjoys. Or are we using them as experiments in who and how we take rights from?

Police don't like these people and don't tolerate much from them. I understand their reasons. However, authority is best used as a shield, not as a weapon.

Experiments.

Practice for when Koch Industries becomes the government...  oh, wait...

TeeDub
« Reply #339 on: March 05, 2015, 03:01:25 pm »

He had robbed a bank and had prior experience with the system....

"Sometimes what gets lost in here is there was a victim — who had to be treated by an ambulance — that called police to this location," Beck said. "These officers weren't enforcing tenting laws, they weren't enforcing so-called broken windows.… They were responding to a request for help."
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #340 on: March 05, 2015, 06:55:24 pm »

He had robbed a bank and had prior experience with the system....
"Sometimes what gets lost in here is there was a victim — who had to be treated by an ambulance — that called police to this location," Beck said. "These officers weren't enforcing tenting laws, they weren't enforcing so-called broken windows.… They were responding to a request for help."

No, they weren't responding to a bank robbery.   He did serve time for one 15 years ago, though.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
TeeDub
« Reply #341 on: March 06, 2015, 02:51:38 pm »

Two separate statements.   

1.  He was a prior convicted felon.

2.  Someone, who had to be treated by ambulance, called for help and the police were responding.
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #342 on: March 06, 2015, 10:44:17 pm »

Exactly.   After they tase you is not the time to argue.    That is when you find a good attorney.

Lets see how well that works:

OKLAHOMA CITY – An Oklahoma City man is dead after being pepper sprayed and tased by police.
“He broke all the glass and started fighting the cabinet,” said family friend Leeann Mize who witnessed the incident.
“I wish I never called the police,” said Temple.

When officers arrived, they found the suspect, Darrell Gatewood, unconscious on some broken glass on the floor of the apartment.
Witnesses say that’s when police dragged the suspect outside into a puddle of water.
“They kept saying you’re resisting and fighting. So they kept pulling the trigger on the taser over and over again,” said Mize. “They kept tasing him until his heart blew out.”

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- A woman confronted by police outside a homeless shelter is the latest example of someone who died after being shocked with a Taser.
But in Milisha Thompson's case, she was already on the ground and in handcuffs. Her death has raised questions about whether police are abusing the stun guns by using them as a convenient labor-saving device to control uncooperative people.
Police claim Thompson continued to be combative, so officers used the Taser. She was on the ground when an officer tried five times to shock her, stunning her twice in the neck, Citty said.
Her husband, Marvell Thompson, disputes the police report and contends his wife was shocked 20 times. "They did use excessive force on my wife," he said

According to a new report by Amnesty International, the Oklahoma City Police Department is responsible for more Taser-related deaths than any other law enforcement agency in the U.S.
http://thislandpress.com/roundups/okc-is-taser-death-capital-of-the-us/

Ferguson police are quick to use force—in one case, an officer detained a black resident, refused to articulate any criminal suspicion, and used a stun gun on him for 20 continuous seconds when he wouldn’t submit to a frisk

Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #343 on: March 07, 2015, 06:23:03 pm »

I can almost guarantee if 1,100+ Americans a year were dying in Bengazi you would never hear the end of it.

As of Feb. 17, police in this country have killed 190 citizens since January 1, 2015 – about three people per day.
Only one on-duty cop has been intentionally killed by a citizen this year, a Fulton County Sheriff’s Detective.

We are well on our way to breaking last years record of 1,101.

http://killedbypolice.net

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #344 on: March 12, 2015, 09:20:22 am »

Once again. Denver Police are in the spotlight. Why would this Officer do this when he knows all the cells have video cameras? I think we know the answer.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2991321/Police-officer-fired-caught-CCTV-forcing-knee-against-female-suspect-s-neck.html

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 38   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org