A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:07:35 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Tulsa have a say in river development?  (Read 3027 times)
akupetsky
Civic Leader

« on: August 05, 2007, 01:27:12 pm »

In addition to allowing a county vote on the river, the County Commissioners decided to decrease the city of Tulsa's voice in river development:
quote:

It was a motion lost in the moment.

Before deciding Thursday to call a countywide vote on a $282 million public funding package for river development, county commissioners voted 2-1 to make a change in the composition of the public trust created in the resolution calling for the Oct. 9 election.

Out was one of Mayor Kathy Taylor's two appointees; in was the chairman of the board of directors of the Indian Nations Council of Governments.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=070805_1_A13_hINCO51268

I don't like how this is developing.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 01:38:13 pm »

I hope the county commissioners are reconsidering this decision. The city of Tulsa will generate the majority of this tax and should have a bigger say of the trust business.

I have heard grumblings about councilors re-evaluating their support for the plan because of this last minute trust authority committee change.

The current Chair of the INCOG board of Directors is John Selph. I really like him and have known him ever since he first ran for office. That year my father lost to him in the democratic primary and John was very gracious to him during the whole process. I would trust John Selph in any capacity to do the right thing.

But INCOG represents 54 communities and counties in northeastern Oklahoma. It is conceivable that another chair could be from any of those communities. What if the next chair of INCOG was a representative of another county?

How would you like a Creek County Commissioner deciding how Tulsa County funds are spent?

Power is nothing till you use it.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 04:25:13 pm »

Pardon my ignorance on the subject. But what specifically are the "says" that Tulsa has, the county has, incog, river parks authority,  and this public trust has.

Who gets to do what zoining along the river?

Who approves what development can or can not go in?

Who says, this is park space, this is where a private developer can develop, this is protected habitat?

Who is responsible for maintaining, roads, dams, park space along the river?

Where does the money come from for each of those things?

Just what is the reach of this trust in the scheme of things?

Just make it a short brief answer. [Tongue]

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
inteller
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 05:36:39 pm »

even the people that want this should vote against it.  hell, at least get a proposal that doesn't cut off your balls.
waterboy
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 05:54:56 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TheArtist

Pardon my ignorance on the subject. But what specifically are the "says" that Tulsa has, the county has, incog, river parks authority,  and this public trust has.

Who gets to do what zoining along the river?

Who approves what development can or can not go in?

Who says, this is park space, this is where a private developer can develop, this is protected habitat?

Who is responsible for maintaining, roads, dams, park space along the river?

Where does the money come from for each of those things?

Just what is the reach of this trust in the scheme of things?

Just make it a short brief answer. [Tongue]

Now you're starting to see the picture clearly. And judging by the article in the Sunday World, its a very fuzzy picture.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org