A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:56:33 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "The American"  (Read 74681 times)
dioscorides
Civic Leader

« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2010, 02:54:17 pm »

the most recent article that i could find about it (july 2009):

http://www.urbantulsa.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A27438

JULY 1, 2009

It's Alive!
Construction of American-Indian Warrior monument expected to be completed by 2012

BY MIKE EASTERLING

A 6-foot model of a 21-story bronze monument planned for the Osage Hills northwest of downtown Tulsa should be finished soon, according to the artist working on the project.

Osage artist and Edmond resident Shan Gray said even though the privately funded monument--a planned 217-foot bronze sculpture called "The American" featuring an American Indian warrior with a bald eagle perched on his arm--was not completed within its originally announced time frame, progress continues to be made. He said a 6-foot model of the sculpture should be completed by mid-summer, providing the first real peek at what the finished product will look like.

The monument was announced in 2004 during the administration of then-Tulsa Mayor Bill LaFortune, with the mayor touting its value as a tourist and cultural attraction. It was supposed to be finished in time for Oklahoma's centennial celebration in 2007, but construction has yet to begin, leading many observers wondering if the project had been shelved.

Gray insisted last week that this was not the case, though he admitted the economic downturn has delayed the involvement of some major investors.

"We're waiting on a couple of entities," he said. "They want to do it, but they're involved in the oil and gas industry, and they're waiting for things to stabilize a little bit. They say they'll feel a whole lot more comfortable with this when the price of oil stabilizes."

Gray declined to go into the specifics of the project's financing status, but he did say the budget for the monument is between $35 million and $40 million, and that $3.5 million has been spent on it to date. He emphasized he is not seeking new investors.

Gray said a considerable amount of work has been completed on the project, which he described as a major technological challenge. He cited a study completed two and a half years ago by an Oklahoma State University economist as a major boost for the project. The study conducted by Mark Snead, then-director of the Center for Applied Economic Research at OSU's Spears School of Business and now an economist with the Federal Reserve Bank in Denver, claims the monument would attract between 1.5 million and 2 million visitors a year, Gray said, a number that surprised even him.

But the sculpture's appeal crosses many boundaries, he said.

"The monument is about more than honoring Native Americans," he said. "It's about new beginnings and facing a new day."

Gray said a number of test pours and experiments on the milling process required to build the monument have been completed, each yielding valuable information--sometimes by trial and error. For example, he said during the first test pour, conducted 18 months ago, the mold exploded. Workers later figured out that the sand they mixed with the epoxy had absorbed moisture from a recent rain, and when it was mixed with 2,000-degree bronze, the result was an explosion that shattered the mold.

Gray said 22 people are currently working on the monument, including several from the Tulsa division of The Benham Group, an architectural, engineering and construction management firm. All told, Gray counts 200 "team members" from more than 20 firms who have participated so far.

Much of their time has been spent designing the elevator inside the monument that allows visitors to ride to the top. A stairwell that meets code requirements also needs to be built, and the interior will be able to accommodate up to 50 visitors at any given time, he said.

But there have been other unique challenges, as well, each of which has contributed to delays in getting the project's construction started, according to Gray.

For instance, the monument will have a steel frame covered in bronze plates. Gray said during the summer, the bronze can expand up to 13 inches, while the steel can expand only 2 inches. Designers have had to account for those expansions and ensuing contractions.

"In a way, he's breathing," Gray said of the depicted warrior.

He also said designers believe the monument's chest area is so expansive that, theoretically, clouds could form inside, and it could rain.

Additionally, because of its height, the monument must be topped with a red beacon to warn away aircraft. Gray said the bulb used in the beacon weighs 150 pounds, making its delivery to the required spot problematic. He said designers are trying to solve the problem by creating a rail system to carry the bulb that can be retracted into the eagle.

Once the 6-foot model is complete, Gray said, designers will put it through a wind tunnel test to make sure the full-size version is capable of withstanding sustained, straight-line winds up to 206 mph--the equivalent of an F3 tornado.

Those delays haven't been all bad, Gray said. They have given project organizers time to regroup and tie up loose ends, as well as form partnerships with other entities interested in adding an educational component to the monument.

The project's Web site, www.theamerican.com, was taken offline some time ago, but Gray anticipates that it will be launched again sometime this summer.

Initially, the monument itself was planned for Holmes Peak in Osage County, several miles northwest of downtown. Gray said that site is still under consideration, but a third party has been tasked with obtaining the 160 acres required to build the monument and visitors center that would accompany it and is examining other areas, as well.

He said once construction begins, it should proceed rapidly, with 1,200 workers expected to be involved in its production. The expected build-out is three years.

"My hope is to have the thing completed by 2012," he said, though he cautioned, "A lot of things have to fall into place."

Gray said he understands the doubts many observers have about the project, given the fact that its original deadline already has come and gone.

"But those early estimates were not mine," he said. "They were provided by people (involved with the project) who ... meant well. On a project like this, it's very dangerous to give people timelines. On the other hand, if we had every penny, hey, we're ready to go."

Gray said he has no doubts "The American" will become a reality some day.

"Oh, no, absolutely not," he said. "I know it's going to happen. If there's any question, it's when and where. There are too many good people involved (for it not to happen). I've never questioned the outcome."

There is an ancient Celtic axiom that says 'Good people drink good beer.' Which is true, then as now. Just look around you in any public barroom and you will quickly see: bad people drink bad beer. Think about it. - Hunter S. Thompson
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2010, 03:12:12 pm »

$3.5mm spent thus far and this is what he had to show for it, an uncompleted 6 ft. model?  That's probably got a whole lot more to do with the financing problem.  The price of oil has been relatively stable for the last year since that article was written, so there goes that excuse.

Oh, and I just found this, sorry but this screams "nut-job" I've never heard of a 150 pound light bulb (certainly not the type used to mark obstructions to aircraft) and considering the weight of all other materials used, how does one 150 pound light bulb create a logistical nightmare?

"Additionally, because of its height, the monument must be topped with a red beacon to warn away aircraft. Gray said the bulb used in the beacon weighs 150 pounds, making its delivery to the required spot problematic"

That's got to be the mother of all excuses: "Yeah the uh, liiight bulb weighs 1, er 150 pounds.  Yeah, yeah, thaaaat's the ticket!"

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2010, 03:42:08 pm »

A lot of problematic things. . .  theTulsa division of The Benham Group no longer exists, any money spent on design and engineering has most likely evaporated.  The remaining Benham group in OKC has been purchased by a large Govt contractor group, SAIC, and I doubt they would even touch something like this.

I don't know of a single sane firm that would take this project on now without money in the bank. I do know a few insane firms that would take it on, but I doubt they will still exist in a year.

The estimated construction cost of $35 to $40 million is what makes me scratch my head.  That seems like a very low figure for the level of engineering and materials required.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2010, 03:45:51 pm »

A lot of problematic things. . .  theTulsa division of The Benham Group no longer exists, any money spent on design and engineering has most likely evaporated.  The remaining Benham group in OKC has been purchased by a large Govt contractor group, SAIC, and I doubt they would even touch something like this.

I don't know of a single sane firm that would take this project on now without money in the bank. I do know a few insane firms that would take it on, but I doubt they will still exist in a year.

The estimated construction cost of $35 to $40 million is what makes me scratch my head.  That seems like a very low figure for the level of engineering and materials required.

Maybe they can ask who did the construction on the "Terminator Jesus" and get bids...

Sorry, that was too easy...LOL.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2010, 03:48:16 pm »

Maybe they can ask who did the construction on the "Terminator Jesus" and get bids...

Sorry, that was too easy...LOL.

I think an enormous stick figure native American with a stick figure eagle trying to rip his stick arm off is a great way to do it.

Every year we can light it on fire and have concerts.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2010, 03:54:46 pm »

Have I mentioned before that I hate this thing?  It's a wonderful example of middle-brow art that's nice, safe, and very, very boring.  A smaller model would make a lovely table lamp that would be a graceful addition to any bordello.  It doesn't even rise to the level of kitsch like those nauseating Timmy and Cindy abominations in Owasso.   

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2010, 03:56:17 pm »

Plus the possibility he's another flaky artist...

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2010, 06:24:15 pm »

Waaaatch it.  Cool

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2010, 06:26:09 am »

That's easy to determine.  See if he has applied and received any funds from the NEA.  If so, that means his work fails to sell in the open market, or fails to support his efforts.

Nope, looks like he's got lots of good projects and talent.  Gets a high price for his work too!

« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 06:30:52 am by Gaspar » Logged

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2010, 06:53:16 am »

those nauseating Timmy and Cindy abominations in Owasso.   

??

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2010, 07:09:53 am »

??
Must have their own version of Precious Moments

TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2010, 08:51:01 am »

??

There are a little bronze statue haphazardly placed in Owasso of little children playing. Is that what you are talking about?

---Robert
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2010, 07:49:33 am »

Just read a KTUL tweet that it's still in the works.  This includes some construction such as the elevator shaft and emergency exit. 

Talk about on the down low.
Rico
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2010, 08:56:05 am »

"The monument was announced in 2004 during the administration of then-Tulsa Mayor Bill LaFortune, with the mayor touting its value as a tourist and cultural attraction."

The Indian tribes have said....(behind closed doors) that they do not want this.

There are no "Indian" monies pledged.

Tell me how they get around this small obstacle?
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2010, 09:32:13 am »

The Indian tribes have said....(behind closed doors) that they do not want this.

Have any reasons leaked out under the door?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org