A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:49:27 pm
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1957 Plymouth dig up  (Read 109844 times)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #375 on: June 25, 2007, 09:24:57 am »

quote:
Originally posted by sauerkraut

quote:
Originally posted by recyclemichael

Somebody just trades them a pickup truck and everything will be easy.

The hard part is finding that "Somebody" to make the trade... BTW, I hear they may bury a Dodge Pick-up Truck in the new time capsule, or at least it was mentioned. That's not a bad idea the truck has a well-like design and is very popular. It should be quite a site to have it brand new in 2057[Smiley]

Pickups are extremely popular in this area and since the other two vehicles have been Chrysler,  then a Dodge would make sense.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #376 on: June 26, 2007, 08:31:47 am »

I'd favor them putting any car in a time capsule. The only reason they picked a Plymouth in 1957 was because they thought it was a typical car of the time.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
jiminy
« Reply #377 on: June 26, 2007, 04:05:20 pm »

I wouldn't put a truck in it.  If they're sticking with Mopars, I would put a Chrysler 300 or Dodge Charger in it.  But not a grey or silver one, hopefully that trend will be over by then.
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #378 on: June 26, 2007, 04:41:02 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by jiminy

I wouldn't put a truck in it.  If they're sticking with Mopars, I would put a Chrysler 300 or Dodge Charger in it.  But not a grey or silver one, hopefully that trend will be over by then.

If a truck is one of the most popular vehicles on the road in 2007 then it would seem we should put a truck in the vault. They figured the '57 Plymouth to be the most common and run-of-the mill cars in '57 so that is why it was picked for the time capsule. But like I said I'd be happy with any vehicle in the time capsule. It will cause alot of excitement for the people of 2057 just like it did to us in 2007. TulsaRama 2057!

PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #379 on: April 21, 2008, 09:32:45 am »

I was searching the internet for some downtown Tulsa info, and came across this story about travelling to Tulsa for the Belvedere Dig.  I thought it was interesting to get an outsider's perspective of downtown Tulsa and the Belvedere rust-fest.  Authentic and well-written, with lots of pictures of downtown landmarks.  http://www.wichitavortex.com/tulsa/
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #380 on: June 16, 2009, 08:43:09 am »

Restoration seems to be doing a lot better than I imagined:
http://www.bartlesvillelive.com/content/news/local/story/Tulsas-Miss-Belvedere-more-exclusive-before-and/0-nyljmQyEy0IGPm7LYtIA.cspx
dbacks fan
« Reply #381 on: June 16, 2009, 08:49:18 am »

What can I say but WOW!! They seem to be doing a good job of preserving her. I hope that they have continued success in this project. Thanks for the update.
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #382 on: June 16, 2009, 02:11:11 pm »

That's not bad, I didn't think they were even going to try to fix it up. I thought the owner/car winner who lived on the east coast did not have plans to fix it up. It still has alot of damage..  That's one heck of a tuff job to restore. I wonder how long it sat in the water,  or at what point in time the vault started to fill up with water. I doubt it sat in the water the full 50 years and the vault would of filled up slowly thru the years..  If they had a drain in the vault with a one way valve the car may not of been in such poor shape when it was dug up. I wish them well. I'm surprised they think the engine may fire up and the tranny may move, the tranny would of been full of oil.  Lips sealed
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 02:15:54 pm by sauerkraut » Logged

TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #383 on: June 16, 2009, 02:44:54 pm »

I'm surprised they think the engine may fire up and the tranny may move, the tranny would of been full of oil.
RuPaul can move just fine, thank you...

---Robert
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #384 on: June 16, 2009, 03:11:11 pm »

I'll take a bong hit with FOTD if they ever get that old heap fired up.  Ain't gonna happen.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #385 on: June 17, 2009, 11:34:49 am »

I'll take a bong hit with FOTD if they ever get that old heap fired up.  Ain't gonna happen.
I agree,  But the article said there was a 75% chance the engine would fire, I can't see how, all that iron would be solid rust inside the cyclinders. I don't know if they were talking about taking the engine apart & cleaning it up and then putting it back together and then firing it up or what. I don't know if the car was buried with oil in the oil pan or not. (The cleaned up picture of the dashboard really looked nice, classic '57). There would be alot of other stuff to such as the coil & distributor, the spark plug tips are likely rusted away, so it would need new plugs, coil & distributor and the like to even get fire. The starter would have to be rebuilt too. I would like to be there and see the car in person.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 11:36:42 am by sauerkraut » Logged

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #386 on: January 09, 2013, 09:54:33 am »

Think we should let them know?

Myanmar Spitfire Recovery: Water-Filled Crate Believed To Contain WWII-Era Plane

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/09/myanmar-spitfire-recovery-water-filled-crate_n_2439276.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

YANGON, Myanmar -- An excavation team searching for a stash of legendary World War II-era British fighter aircraft in northern Myanmar said Wednesday it had found a wooden crate believed to contain one of the planes, but it was full of muddy water.

It was not immediately clear how much damage the water may have caused, and searchers could not definitively say what was inside the crate.

But British aviation enthusiast David J. Cundall, who is driving the hunt for the rare Spitfire planes, called the results "very encouraging."

"It will take some time to pump the water out ... but I do expect all aircraft to be in very good condition," Cundall told reporters in Myanmar's main city, Yangon.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #387 on: January 09, 2013, 10:22:52 am »

Think we should let them know?

Myanmar Spitfire Recovery: Water-Filled Crate Believed To Contain WWII-Era Plane

Nah, let them dream for a while.

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #388 on: January 09, 2013, 10:54:25 am »

Myanmar. It'll always be Burma to me ~ Jay Peterman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAlinvw2Rb0

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org