A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:18:21 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do not return calls to 809 area code  (Read 2934 times)
tim huntzinger
« on: March 16, 2007, 11:26:46 am »

IMPORTANT INFO ABOUT AREA CODE    
We actually received a call last week from the   809   area code.  The woman said "Hey, this is Karen. Sorry I missed you--get back to us quickly. I have something important to tell you." Then she repeated a phone number beginning with 809.

We didn't respond. Then this week, we received the following e-mail:

DO NOT DIAL AREA CODES 809, 284 AND 876.

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION PROVIDED TO US BY AT&T. DON'T EVER DIAL AREA CODE   809  

This one is being distributed all over the US . This is pretty scary, especially given the way they try to get you to call.
Be sure you read this and pass it on.    
They get you to call by telling you that it is information about a family member who has been ill or to tell you someone has been arrested, died, or to let you know you have won a wonderful prize, etc.  
In each case, you are told to call the   809   number right away. Since there are so many new area codes these days, people unknowingly return these calls.

If you call from the U.S., you will apparently be charged $2425   per-minute.  

Or, you'll get a long recorded message. The point is, they will try to keep you on the phone as long as possible to increase the charges. Unfortunately, when you get your phone bill, you'll often be charged more than $24,100.00.

WHY IT WORKS:  

The 809 area code is located in the British Virgin Islands (The Bahamas).
The charges afterwards can become a real nightmare. That's because you did actually make the call. If you complain, both your local phone company and your long distance carrier will not want to get involved and will most likely tell you that they are simply providing the billing for the foreign company. You'll end up dealing with a foreign company that argues they have done nothing wrong.

Please forward this entire message to your friends, family and colleagues to help them become aware of this scam.
Rico
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 12:17:10 pm »

Well there is one other solution....

We could Declare War on the British Bahamas....

They take advantage of their proximity to the US by...  

Things such as...

They steal from our citizens...

They ignore our Laws...

They intentionally coerce people into believing that possibly a loved one has been injured or worse...  

They are too close to the US to ignore... I say we send approximately 20 or 30 Marines down and have them kick every Bahamian's a$$.. One Island at a time...

If the Marines are too busy for it then we have a group of the Blackwater Squad....

Or Mercenaries from Tulsa...

We charge the Bohemian Bahamas punitive damages for everyone in Oklahoma they have even thought about calling....

The Rich ones we lock up in a pay phone booth until their quarters are all gone and then ship them back home....

Or.... require that they do "the jobs people don't want"...for whatever period of time we deem necessary for them to return to their little Island as an equal to one of our Citizens...

And finally.... We force them to sign over the Oil and Mineral Rights to the Islands... And we drill until we find something.... Anything.... Oil, Gold, Platinum, Rubies, Emeralds, Diamonds...

Then we destroy every last phone system in their Country...

Yes... There are alternative theories to this Pyramid email scam... Sorry, I meant telephone scam.

[}:)]
inteller
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 08:23:51 pm »

well Id have to say its partly the phone companies fault for making it so easy to connect.  you can call canada by just dialing 1 and the area code.  but it doesnt cost that much.  sounds like to me the phone company should either make it cheaper to connect, or force a country code so people cant dial those codes.
Hawkins
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 10:32:54 pm »

Not quite $2400 a minute, more like $100, and not all calls to 809 do this, and its not the Bahamas, its the Dominican Republic.

At least that's what I've gotten so far from this website:

http://www.scambusters.org/809Scam.html

Another note to consider: Never believe anything you read in a bulk email until you've thoroughly googled it yourself and read up on the issue from some reputable websites.

I can't stand the people who originate bulk emails, its like a game to them to see how much of an outcry they can create. Kind of like how a computer virus creator gets off on how much damage he can cause.

I'm guessing Tim, that you found this in your inbox today, and decided to share it with the rest of us to be helpful.

Next time, research spam emails, guys.
tim huntzinger
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 07:56:18 am »

Like minutes after I posted it the W let me know it was exaggerated.  Sorry, all!

Funny thing is that this came from a manager at AT&T!

azbadpuppy
Philanthropist

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 01:24:57 pm »

Snopes.com is a really good source to research such emails.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org