A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:29:31 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Keep the Net Neutral!  (Read 15064 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2014, 10:39:27 pm »

It's amazing how quiet politicians were on this subject...and by politicians I mean DC Republicans...until the President came out in favor of it.  I'm betting that 90 percent of them didn't even research what it was.

Just solidifies my opinion that it doesn't matter what the President is for, or if it even benefits them, most of the rank and file conservatives will be against it.

If Obama came out and stated his favorable opinion on the air, many Republicans would likely hold their breath to prove they weren't in favor of it.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2014, 11:08:34 pm »

It's amazing how quiet politicians were on this subject...and by politicians I mean DC Republicans...until the President came out in favor of it.  I'm betting that 90 percent of them didn't even research what it was.

Just solidifies my opinion that it doesn't matter what the President is for, or if it even benefits them, most of the rank and file conservatives will be against it.

If Obama came out and stated his favorable opinion on the air, many Republicans would likely hold their breath to prove they weren't in favor of it.

I have a similar opinion of most Democrats. 

It makes the world go round.

Cheesy

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2014, 11:27:18 pm »

I have a similar opinion of most Democrats. 

It makes the world go round.

Cheesy

Then your opinion would be wrong.

In my opinion.

See what I did there?

Cool

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2014, 11:34:00 pm »

Then your opinion would be wrong.

In my opinion.

See what I did there?

Cool

Yep, you aren't as clever as you think you are.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2014, 09:18:39 am »

And Scene
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2014, 04:55:23 pm »

Sen. Ted Cruz says “‘Net Neutrality’ is Obamacare for the Internet.”
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/al-franken-doesnt-think-ted-cruz-understands-what-net-neutrality-is/

Sen. Al Franken sets him straight:

“Obamacare was a government program that fixed something that changed things,” Franken clarified for Cruz. “This is about reclassifying something so it stays the same. This would keep things exactly the same that they’ve been.”

“We’ve had net neutrality the entire history of the internet.”

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2014, 05:28:47 pm »

Sen. Ted Cruz says “‘Net Neutrality’ is Obamacare for the Internet.”
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/al-franken-doesnt-think-ted-cruz-understands-what-net-neutrality-is/

Sen. Al Franken sets him straight:

“Obamacare was a government program that fixed something that changed things,” Franken clarified for Cruz. “This is about reclassifying something so it stays the same. This would keep things exactly the same that they’ve been.”

“We’ve had net neutrality the entire history of the internet.”

I would call Cruz a buffoon, but he makes buffoons look like Mensas.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2014, 11:00:51 am »

So now, a TP foundation called FreedomWorks just released the most incredulous 90-second propaganda piece on net neutrality the world will likely ever see.  Someone please get her to either take a decongestant, or blow her nose.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeCj4y36UKM[/youtube]

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2014, 11:19:43 am »

So now, a TP foundation called FreedomWorks just released the most incredulous 90-second propaganda piece on net neutrality the world will likely ever see.  Someone please get her to either take a decongestant, or blow her nose.

She didnt mention the Kenyan Death Squads that will come to your grandma's house and smash her Chromebook.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2015, 12:42:57 pm »

FCC Approves Net Neutrality Rules For 'Open Internet'

http://publicradiotulsa.org/post/net-neutrality-key-vote-today-fcc-board

The Federal Communications Commission approved the policy known as net neutrality by a 3-2 vote at its Thursday meeting, with FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler saying the policy will ensure "that no one — whether government or corporate — should control free open access to the Internet."

The policy helps to decide an essential question about how the Internet works, requiring service providers to be a neutral gateway instead of handling different types of Internet traffic in different ways — and at different costs.

"Today is a red-letter day," Wheeler said later.

The dissenting votes came from Michael O'Rielly and Ajut Pai, Republicans who warned that the FCC was overstepping its authority and interfering in commerce to solve a problem that doesn't exist. They also complained that the measure's 300-plus pages weren't publicly released or openly debated.

Our original post continues:

The new policy would replace a prior version adopted in 2010 — but that was put on hold following a legal challenge by Verizon. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit ruled last year that the FCC did not have sufficient regulatory power over broadband.

After that ruling, the FCC was left to reclassify broadband in a way to gain broader regulatory powers.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2015, 04:04:16 pm »

Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Sling TV are slowly killing the Industry I'm in. I see the big picture. But my Millennial children don't get it. 18 to 35 year old cord cutters like to brag about the money their saving. All the while paying 61 dollars for internet. 7.99 for Hulu. 9.99 for Netflix. 8.33 for Amazon Prime and 20 dollars a month for Sling T.V. just to get ESPN 1 live.
Once the manufacturers of the Smart TVs start putting DVR service in the sets. Cable and Satellite will be doomed.

I love my DirecTV and I have Netflix, Hulu and Cox high speed internet and a Roku box that I never use. Until Orange is the new Black comes back on.
The cable companies are really surviving on their internet service. Because their old infrastructure just doesn't support high def and the upcoming 4K channels that would keep them competitive with other services that have the capabilities. IMO that is why the big push for regulation.
The internet has all but destroyed the brick and mortar store. And now it's after the home entertainment industry.

I would have no problem with a 100 gig data plan a month. If my kids max it out and it slows down to where no gaming or streaming could be done. All the better. I'm on this computer all day 5 day's a week. The last thing I want to do when I get home is log on. I take weekends off of it also. And this thing I carry around could be a dumb phone as far as I'm concerned.
So today's decision puts me on the unpopular side of the discussion because soon enough it will effect my job and how we will have to adjust to stay in business.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2015, 04:13:38 pm »

She didnt mention the Kenyan Death Squads that will come to your grandma's house and smash her Chromebook.

Thanks for pointing that out. Because I know for certain you believe those death squads exist...

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2015, 04:27:23 pm »

Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Sling TV are slowly killing the Industry I'm in. I see the big picture. But my Millennial children don't get it. 18 to 35 year old cord cutters like to brag about the money their saving. All the while paying 61 dollars for internet. 7.99 for Hulu. 9.99 for Netflix. 8.33 for Amazon Prime and 20 dollars a month for Sling T.V. just to get ESPN 1 live.
Once the manufacturers of the Smart TVs start putting DVR service in the sets. Cable and Satellite will be doomed.

I love my DirecTV and I have Netflix, Hulu and Cox high speed internet and a Roku box that I never use. Until Orange is the new Black comes back on.
The cable companies are really surviving on their internet service. Because their old infrastructure just doesn't support high def and the upcoming 4K channels that would keep them competitive with other services that have the capabilities. IMO that is why the big push for regulation.
The internet has all but destroyed the brick and mortar store. And now it's after the home entertainment industry.

I would have no problem with a 100 gig data plan a month. If my kids max it out and it slows down to where no gaming or streaming could be done. All the better. I'm on this computer all day 5 day's a week. The last thing I want to do when I get home is log on. I take weekends off of it also. And this thing I carry around could be a dumb phone as far as I'm concerned.
So today's decision puts me on the unpopular side of the discussion because soon enough it will effect my job and how we will have to adjust to stay in business.

If cable companies and the service providers would give in to alacarte programming, things would be much different.  I know many people who don't want to pay for an entire tier that likely includes ESPN when they don't care about ESPN.  So, this is the alternative until the the CCs and retrans can figure out a way to stop bleeding subscribers.

Now that my mother is no longer with me I will likely start evaluating exactly what and how much TV I watch to see if it's even beneficial for me to have cable OR satellite.  I have Netflix.  I also have Prime (but not for the video; I shop far too much on Amazon for it not to have paid off for me already).

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2015, 04:31:29 pm »

If cable companies and the service providers would give in to alacarte programming, things would be much different.  I know many people who don't want to pay for an entire tier that likely includes ESPN when they don't care about ESPN.  So, this is the alternative until the the CCs and retrans can figure out a way to stop bleeding subscribers.

If only that's how government would treat taxpayers. 

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2015, 04:35:34 pm »

As a very active user of the internet for business (far more than entertainment), I simply have never experienced a single problem that would justify government regulations. I cannot even see how this would affect me, except that the government is unnecessarily getting involved in the private lives of people. (channeling my inner anti-Sally Kern)

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org