A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2019, 12:53:52 am
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (PROJECT) A Gathering Place For Tulsa  (Read 274538 times)
Dspike
Activist

« Reply #1245 on: May 23, 2019, 11:05:56 am »

To stick somewhat to the Gathering Place topic on this thread, anyone able to explain to me what a "sluice gate" is and how it protects the Gathering Place and part of Maple Ridge from flooding?
buffalodan
Citizen

« Reply #1246 on: May 23, 2019, 12:12:22 pm »

So I'm not sure how the ones there are actually set up, but I'm assuming that the area is low enough that water would back up from the Arkansas River under Riverside Drive through the storm drain pipes. And that there is a gate or valve on that pipe system that can be closed to ensure that river water doesn't do that. So the area could still flood since any rain is now being kept in that area and can't make it out. Or the gate could fail and water could start going up.

Again, not really sure where that gate is, who controls it, or if it is even shut right now. Just that if I were to design a system with a sluice gate, that is what I would do.
ELG4America
Citizen

« Reply #1247 on: May 23, 2019, 01:01:44 pm »

To stick somewhat to the Gathering Place topic on this thread, anyone able to explain to me what a "sluice gate" is and how it protects the Gathering Place and part of Maple Ridge from flooding?

Depends on the use of the term. Its one of those things that can be a bunch of functionally different things. In this use I'm assuming, like buffalodan that it is closing off one of the creeks from the river. When water levels rise on main river or stream tributary streams that usually flow into a the larger stream can begin flowing backward. This reverse flow can cause substantial flooding around the smaller stream which now has inflows both from its drainage area as well as the stream it usually dumps into. A sluice gate prevents the inflow from the main stream. However, it traps the drainage unless paired with a pump to go over the levee.

I'm wondering if this experience is going to change the development plans for the Gathering Place down by the river. Maybe the plans already take into account flood events and won't need any changes but this will be the time to ask questions.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #1248 on: May 23, 2019, 02:42:17 pm »

I'm wondering if this experience is going to change the development plans for the Gathering Place down by the river. Maybe the plans already take into account flood events and won't need any changes but this will be the time to ask questions.

As far as I know they don't have any plans to build structures down by the river.  I don't think this affects the whitewater flume the city will build.  The Children's Museum and Phase 3 "mixed-use" will all be above the 100 year flood plain but would likely flood in a 500 year event (along with the other neighborhoods along the river).

Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org