A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:35:32 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arena District Master Plan  (Read 20925 times)
Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2021, 04:38:16 pm »

Thanks

Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2021, 09:37:54 am »

Related to the Arena District Master Plan:

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/city-begins-planning-for-new-public-safety-complex/article_85f9ce4e-9c93-11eb-937f-b3374e43e778.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

Typical City of Tulsa story:  We didn't maintain this building, so now we need a new one.

LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2021, 11:12:59 am »

Related to the Arena District Master Plan:

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/city-begins-planning-for-new-public-safety-complex/article_85f9ce4e-9c93-11eb-937f-b3374e43e778.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

Typical City of Tulsa story:  We didn't maintain this building, so now we need a new one.

I think it's a pretty done deal at this point that the city is going to buy the old State Farm building, unless there's some sort of public backlash against it. That particular building next to the convention center makes so much more sense as a site of a convention center hotel. Especially given the Page Belcher Federal building won't be replaced anytime soon most likely, unfortunately.

The odd part is creating a 60 cell jail as well in the State Farm building. I've heard that GKFF wants to see the county jail downtown moved at some point too, so maybe this is part of a larger effort behind the scenes to ultimately get to that point. I wonder how this will impact splitting the municipal courts/city jail and the county courthouse/county jail to opposite sides of the city and having the police center not near the county jail either. The county courthouse needs to be replaced too sooner or later, it's way too small - I could see it being converted to a smaller hotel (similar to Aloft renovation to the old city hall). You'd have a pretty strong cluster of hotels around the convention center at that point. Just need some entertainment stuff closer by to win more events. Right now that part of downtown feels like a silo still and could use some more evening type of retail/uses to create a better connection to Blue Dome and Arts District. Right now if you want to grab lunch or an early afternoon drink from the convention center you've got a pretty good walk ahead of you to get anywhere with a decent cluster of options.

In the long run I think this will be beneficial to the city to move, rather than them putting lipstick on these buildings and keeping the entire area around the convention center as a civic cluster - there's probably a better space for it given the size and age of these buildings being fairly obsolete at this point and just allow this area to turn more into a entertainment district around the arena/convention center.

I do wonder why that transaction never happened (buying it for $10 million and leasing it back for a few years) - there's a large chunk of space in this building that's just sat vacant for years. I'm really shocked the postal service wants to hold on to this building. Seems like a land swap or something would entice the postal service to move into a more modern facility that is right sized - then build a new federal building for the courts. Maybe when the county courthouse is up for replacement they could just build a single federal/county courthouse somewhere. Not sure if I've seen any city do that, usually the federal courts are off by themselves.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2021, 08:28:06 pm »

It seems like this move would certainly be in line with what they proposed in the Master Plan which shows a convention hotel replacing the police building.  I find it odd they show replacing the Aloft/Old City Hall, it seems like it would make sense to keep that as a hotel?  

I really like this plan for a new park space fronting Denver between 3rd and 4th with mixed-use development replacing the Federal Building.  If the Federal Building is goes away though where does its replacement get built?  

brettakins
Activist

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2021, 06:30:50 am »

Any updates to the purchase of the Page Belcher Federal Building?
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2021, 10:03:10 am »

Any updates to the purchase of the Page Belcher Federal Building?

Likely isn't happening for a long time. I think for a little bit there was hope Inhofe would be able to get money for a new one and then they would name it after him but I think that time has passed.

The city is fully focused on the Family Safety Center or whatever that is called between the courthouse and the convention center. That is where the expansion + full service hotel is noted in the renderings. Frankly, I could see a new county courthouse built probably before a new federal building is and then you could turn the old courthouse into something similar to the Aloft conversion. The county courthouse is going to need to be replaced in the next 10-20 years, it's been pretty small and outdated for the last 10-15 years already. I could see that being in a future Vision package.

Frankly, what the city should do is get rid of the tenants in the City Hall building and then move the Post Office and Courtrooms in the federal building into the City Hall building and essentially do a land swap. Say we'll give you floors X, X, X, and X in exchange for the Page Belcher site. I don't think City Hall is built to federal standards though, but also not sure if that only applies to new construction or not. Obviously Page Belcher isn't to the post OKC building standards either.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2021, 12:09:56 pm »

The McGirt decision may revive some momentum to replace the Page Belcher building (the US Supreme Court held that the Indian reservations covering most of the eastern half of Oklahoma were not disestablished at statehood and still exist).  The McGirt decision has resulted in a huge increase in caseloads in the federal courts in the Northern and Eastern Districts.  Recently, the court system recommended adding up to five judges just in Tulsa.  While that total number may not happen, it seems realistic that some new judges will be added and there is not space for them in Page Belcher.  Adding judges requires federal legislation, so it could be paired with funding for a new courthouse.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2021, 12:27:22 pm »

The McGirt decision may revive some momentum to replace the Page Belcher building (the US Supreme Court held that the Indian reservations covering most of the eastern half of Oklahoma were not disestablished at statehood and still exist).  The McGirt decision has resulted in a huge increase in caseloads in the federal courts in the Northern and Eastern Districts.  Recently, the court system recommended adding up to five judges just in Tulsa.  While that total number may not happen, it seems realistic that some new judges will be added and there is not space for them in Page Belcher.  Adding judges requires federal legislation, so it could be paired with funding for a new courthouse.

I think it was 2 judges for Tulsa, and 3 for Muscogee. Tulsa has added at least one magistrate and probably will get a few more. Your point stands though, I'm for anything that gets us a decent replacement. I'd kind of like to see the old federal building (current bankruptcy court) expanded to house the entire federal judiciary and related entities which are kind of spread around downtown currently. I assume it can't be built upwards and would present a lot of historic preservation issues.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2023, 01:46:19 pm »

With IOT3 passing and the police/courts moving to a new location (hopefully the dairy plant at Cameron & Denver) there is now discussion starting around building a 650 room convention hotel on that site which would be complete by 2026.  What could be really interesting is if the County decides to build a new courthouse which would free up the two-block area for both an enlarged convention center and highrise hotel.  

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/government-politics/city-leaders-moving-forward-with-plans-to-build-a-convention-hotel-downtown/article_2384957a-406d-11ee-a2a4-3be47a5415f6.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 01:49:40 pm by SXSW » Logged

Laramie
City Father

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2023, 07:40:25 pm »

A 650 room DT hotel would be impressive for Tulsa.  Something exceeding 25 floors. add more to an already awesome skyline.

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2023, 08:09:51 am »

Let's assume the Police/Fire HQ moves to the Hiland Dairy.  Where do they move the County Courthouse?  

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2023, 09:25:39 am »

Let's assume the Police/Fire HQ moves to the Hiland Dairy.  Where do they move the County Courthouse?  

I don't see any reason they couldn't be part of the same complex, or have both buildings within that footprint. One of the proposals I saw was that the existing courthouse would remain for civil cases and a criminal courthouse would be built near David L. Moss. Several large cities have a similar setup for their state courts. Never thought that the state courthouse would be replaced before federal, but here we are.
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2023, 05:38:20 pm »

Oklahoma City spent $288 million on its new convention center:  

·   Exhibit hall is 200,730 continuous sq. ft on ground level
          ·  The space is divisible into 4 halls with 4 roll up garage doors and 2 ramps that have truck access onto the exhibit floor
          ·  Column spacing in the Exhibit Halls are 86’ between each columns, 30′ ceiling
          ·  Fully equipped floor boxes for electrical, communications, data, and plumbing needs
          · 4  permanent concessions stands

Omni Oklahoma City 17 floors Luxury Hotel construction costs $235 million ($150 million by Omni, an $85.4 million subsidy by Oklahoma City)
     for 605 rooms.  Oklahoma City has 4,150 downtown hotel rooms.

Best of luck on your 650 room luxury hotel.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 05:40:29 pm by Laramie » Logged

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2023, 06:40:29 pm »

With IOT3 passing and the police/courts moving to a new location (hopefully the dairy plant at Cameron & Denver) there is now discussion starting around building a 650 room convention hotel on that site which would be complete by 2026.  What could be really interesting is if the County decides to build a new courthouse which would free up the two-block area for both an enlarged convention center and highrise hotel.

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/government-politics/city-leaders-moving-forward-with-plans-to-build-a-convention-hotel-downtown/article_2384957a-406d-11ee-a2a4-3be47a5415f6.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

I thought about this, but does Tulsa need a second 100,000 square foot exhibition hall? The site of the Police Courts building would make perfect sense for a second hall. Tulsa currently has the 100k sq ft hall and 20k, 30k and 40k sq ft ballrooms. A second 100k hall on this site would better match OKC and other cities with centers with more floor space. For example, Laramie posted OKC's new convention center which has a 200k hall and a 30k ballroom.

My question is, how much use does that extra 100k space get used? And if there is a market out there, aren't shows that need that much more space in Tulsa already covered by the Expo Building? I know it's not as nice as the convention center, but for sheer size few convention centers anywhere can match the Expo Building with its 450,000 square feet, 350,000 of it clearspan space. How many potential shows are there out there for Tulsa that need more than 100k but are unwilling to use the Expo? Do those shows make sense for the couple of hundred million dollars a second hall would cost?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 06:44:51 pm by swake » Logged
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2023, 08:38:08 am »

I would think the ROI would be there for another 100k SF exhibit hall along with more meetings rooms.  And there is nowhere else to go unless you demolish the Civic Center Garage. 

The article stated this is where the Cox Business Center is deficient:
McKenney said those venues are thriving despite not having enough of what a convention hotel would provide in abundance: meeting rooms. The Cox Business Convention Center has 19, compared to an average of 44 in competitive regional convention centers, according to Hunden Partners.

I think it's important for walkability to have the hotel front Denver Ave

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org