A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:02:03 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Full Moon Cherry Street changes to Crushed Red  (Read 11658 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« on: May 25, 2017, 11:39:33 am »

New restaurant takes over Cherry Street Full Moon Cafe location; Maryn's Taproom opens

http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/new-restaurant-to-open-in-cherry-street-full-moon-cafe/article_1942bd8b-4773-5336-8f46-1b108e679710.html

The former Full Moon Cafe on Cherry Street space is getting a new look and tenant, another new chain is headed to Tulsa and a much-anticipated restaurant has opened in Jenks.

Crushed Red, a fast-casual franchise serving organic chopped salads and hand-stretched pizzas, is set to open in August, according to Eli Huff of Salt Food Group.

The new Crushed Red location, 1525 E. 15th St., will be the first franchise in Oklahoma.

Another high-profile spot, at Jenks RiverWalk, also has a new tenant. Maryn's Taphouse and Raw Bar opened May 24.

Maryn's joins Andolini's in the shopping center, and a new Burn Co. Barbecue location has been announced there.

Owner Corey Crandall, who also owns George’s Pub in Jenks, previously told Tulsa World Maryn's is named after his daughter and would feature 40 craft beer taps, 20 to 30 wines by the glass or bottle and craft cocktails. The menu includes burgers, sandwiches, oysters and seafood.

The hours are 4-11 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 4-midnight Friday, 10 a.m.-midnight Saturday and 10 a.m-9 p.m. Sunday.

Bad Daddy’s Burger Bar, a popular Denver-based gourmet burger joint, will soon add the Oklahoma to its roster of locations in Colorado, North Carolina and South Carolina.

The full-service restaurant will open its first Oklahoma location in Norman’s University Town Center in August 2017, according to a news release. Two to three more planned restaurants are set to open in Oklahoma City and Tulsa in 2018.

The menu offers gourmet signature burgers, such as the Bacon Cheeseburger on Steroids and the Bad donkey Burger, as well as chopped salads, specialty sides, appetizers and handspun milkshakes. For more information about Bad Daddy’s Burger Bar, visit www.baddaddysburgerbar.com.

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 12:02:06 pm »

So is that really cool outdoor bar going to sit vacant?  This type of establishment doesn't seem like a "drinks" kind of place.  What a waste if the outdoor bar doesn't open back up.
TulsaLove86
Tourist

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 12:11:29 pm »

Has anyone else seen the work they've started on the facade? They're boarding up the beautiful old windows, presumably to put in another fast casual facade that will be an eye sore in two years when they go out of business like the two others down the street. There is very little character left on Cherry Street thanks to the chains, and this may be the death knell. I'm so sad.
Gold
Citizen

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 12:39:34 pm »

15th Street clearly needs another pizza place. 

I believe this is the sales pitch on the potential market for this place: "Two landmark, locally owned locations on 15th street is clearly not enough.  When I can't get my fill of gluten from either one, maybe I'll order an extra from this place on the way home.  Hell, I'll go to Papa Murphy's after that and order a frozen pizza, too.  PIZZA PIZZA PIZZA."

Is there a way to short this action?  This seems like the worst idea I've heard in some time.
TulsaLove86
Tourist

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 12:50:57 pm »

It looks like part of the building and most of the parking lot is zoned OL (office light). It's not grandfathered in because it was conveyed into the current owner in late 2016. Maybe there's something there to leverage...
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 03:20:50 pm »

15th Street clearly needs another pizza place. 

I believe this is the sales pitch on the potential market for this place: "Two landmark, locally owned locations on 15th street is clearly not enough.  When I can't get my fill of gluten from either one, maybe I'll order an extra from this place on the way home.  Hell, I'll go to Papa Murphy's after that and order a frozen pizza, too.  PIZZA PIZZA PIZZA."

Is there a way to short this action?  This seems like the worst idea I've heard in some time.

I’ve never heard of Red Crush, so I can’t speak to its quality or concept, but the pizza/salad thing seems covered pretty well on 15th Street with Andolini's, Hideaway and Tucci’s.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 09:04:20 pm »

From the name, I was expecting a wine bar or at least a place with a deep wine list.  Or simply everything would have crushed red pepper on it.

I’m with the naysayers on this one.  If it makes it a couple of years, at least the building will have had recent updates instead of still sitting on 30 year old improvements when its time to find another tenant.

The concept really doesn’t puff my skirt.  If I were looking for pizza in the area, it would be Andolini’s.  I’m pretty sure most Tulsans would feel the same way or hit Hideaway. 

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 08:25:44 am »

http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/index.php?topic=21468.msg315211#msg315211

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 11:00:58 am »

Interior shot of another location:

TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2017, 11:04:33 am »

I’ve never heard of Red Crush, so I can’t speak to its quality or concept, but the pizza/salad thing seems covered pretty well on 15th Street with Andolini's, Hideaway and Tucci’s.

And furthermore the delux salad thing is already well covered by Jason's Deli and Ensalata which is going in on Cherry St where Genghis Grill was.

TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2017, 11:05:23 am »

You called it, even way back on March 3 that it would be a pizza place.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 11:08:11 am »

From the name, I was expecting a wine bar or at least a place with a deep wine list.  Or simply everything would have crushed red pepper on it.

I’m with the naysayers on this one.  If it makes it a couple of years, at least the building will have had recent updates instead of still sitting on 30 year old improvements when its time to find another tenant.

The concept really doesn’t puff my skirt.  If I were looking for pizza in the area, it would be Andolini’s.  I’m pretty sure most Tulsans would feel the same way or hit Hideaway. 

I agree. I probably won't even try Red Crush. I'm getting tired of all these chains with generic interiors invading all the interesting areas.

Overall midtown near 15th and downtown have far too many pizza places (as we have discussed, downtown has ~10 pizza places or places where pizza is one of the main entrees). When you have options like Hideaway, Andolinis/STG, Bohemian, Pie Hole and Umbertos covering the higher-end gourmet pizzas (not to mention dozens of low-range options), I can't imagine resorting to a chain like Red Crush. Considering all the pizza places within a mile or two, it is hard to imagine why they would open here.

I do wish Joe Mammas would reopen!
Gold
Citizen

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2017, 09:53:32 am »

I'm all for locally owned businesses and concepts.  They just do better for a community in the long run.

I'll play devil's advocate: I think downtown would benefit from a Chik-fil-a and a Chili's or the like.  The BOK Center brings in a lot of different people from the region and they aren't all looking to find the cool new place with microbrews or hipster food trucks. From a long term growth standpoint, I think those types of places will help, even though I mostly hate them on a personal level.

But as for 15th street, that Longjohn Silver's needs to get eminent domian-ed, CVS is a vapid POS, and it's worth sending the corporate office of Crushed Red a letter about how stupid their idea is.  And somebody put that Quizno's out of its misery.
hello
Civic Leader

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2017, 10:07:26 am »

I'm all for locally owned businesses and concepts.  They just do better for a community in the long run.

I'll play devil's advocate: I think downtown would benefit from a Chik-fil-a and a Chili's or the like.  The BOK Center brings in a lot of different people from the region and they aren't all looking to find the cool new place with microbrews or hipster food trucks. From a long term growth standpoint, I think those types of places will help, even though I mostly hate them on a personal level.

I'm a Downtowner and I agree. Consistency in good food AND good service is lacking in downtown.

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2017, 10:18:04 am »

I think the Chick-fil-A/Chili's of the world are a by product of a successful area more than they are a creator of them. I would like to see those types just because I think it's a good indicator of success. I would love to see a chain open up anything (besides Subway) in downtown Bartlesville. Hideaway opening a shop in my opinion was a major thing, even though they are a regional thing.

And in regards to Cherry Street. I think it is quite different than Downtown in that it's not quite a destination spot yet. It's still a neighborhood. And people move to that neighborhood because they obviously don't like 71st & Memorial. Hence the struggles of those types of establishments. It was mid day on a weekend, but my wife and I went to Mi Cosina a few months back and even it was pretty deserted. Does that place stay busy at least?

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org