A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:57:43 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pedestrian Bridge  (Read 139262 times)
SXSW
City Father

« on: March 13, 2017, 08:52:44 am »

Article from the Frontier about the new pedestrian bridge concepts to replace the existing bridge.  The V2025 renewal was supposed to rehab the bridge and add an upper deck for bikes but was deemed too costly due to the age and structural integrity of the bridge.  So instead we're getting a new bridge and these are some of the concepts:

https://www.readfrontier.org/stories/city-to-solicit-design-ideas-for-new-pedestrian-bridge-over-arkansas-river/

Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 09:30:08 am »

Some good designs.

Unfortunately we will get something much closer to this:

BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 09:31:37 am »

Anyone know the functional requirements?

I know the dbl-decker version was to have the lower level for pedestrians and the top for bicyclists.
The renderings all show single-level bridges.   Are they wider to accommodate split traffic like the newer trail system?

FWIW, I like #3 the best
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 09:33:24 am by BKDotCom » Logged
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 11:03:48 am »

#1 appears to show a double-decker bridge which I would assume would be split into pedestrians on one level and bikes on the other.  The others all appear to show a single level.  I personally like the idea of having the double-deck but if cost is an issue (which it is) then we'll probably end up with a single deck.  In that case I hope it's wide enough, at least double the width of the current bridge.

I like the suspension bridges but also the arched ones because they can relate to the 21st and 11th St bridges.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 11:09:54 am by SXSW » Logged

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 11:34:41 am »

Double-decker would be a really good idea.  Split trails work fine, but on a bridge people often tend to hug the railings to look at downtown, take photos, eyeball fish, or whatever.  As a cyclist even slow speeds are nerve wracking because of dogs (who while on a leash can cross the entire path), people suddenly turning around, fisherman, etc.  There isn't an escape route if things go bad and sometimes your center of gravity could be over the railing.  Not a necessity, but if we are putting up a purpose made bridge to last another 100 years, it may as well be awesome.

- Pedestrians
- Cyclists
- Fisherman
- Photo ops
- Kayaks?  If we have to build new piers anyway, could be a cool opportunity to add to the kayaking envisioned.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 09:51:48 am »

FWIW, they knew the bridge was coming down about a year ago. Apparently old rail bridges are only good for villains with twirly mustaches to blow up these days.

I would guess all concepts could be double decker, or physically divided if not.
joiei
City Father

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 12:01:29 pm »

Here is an original idea from a friend of mine on another site. Maybe it's the extra caffeine I've swilled today, but I'm contemplating submitting something for this -- or, at least, posting something about it now so that others will take my idea and run with it. I was envisioning a new pedestrian bridge like the Ponte Vecchio in Florence, except Tulsa's could be the Art Dec-chio over Arkansas -- or something much less stupid-sounding -- with local-centric retail shops and food stalls, art displays, you name it. Oh! Or The Boxyard Over the Arkansas! Anyway, I'm excited to see what some of our area's awesome visionaries come up with.

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 12:11:00 pm »

FWIW, they knew the bridge was coming down about a year ago. Apparently old rail bridges are only good for villains with twirly mustaches to blow up these days.

Is restoring the historic railroad bridge completely out of the question?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 12:38:46 pm »

Here is an original idea from a friend of mine on another site. Maybe it's the extra caffeine I've swilled today, but I'm contemplating submitting something for this -- or, at least, posting something about it now so that others will take my idea and run with it. I was envisioning a new pedestrian bridge like the Ponte Vecchio in Florence, except Tulsa's could be the Art Dec-chio over Arkansas -- or something much less stupid-sounding -- with local-centric retail shops and food stalls, art displays, you name it. Oh! Or The Boxyard Over the Arkansas! Anyway, I'm excited to see what some of our area's awesome visionaries come up with.

That seems like some cool discussion. What site?
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 12:49:32 pm »

Is restoring the historic railroad bridge completely out of the question?

You can propose building a replica. I think that is your closest option.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 12:50:12 pm »

But. but. but... then you can't park in front of the store
johrasephoenix
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 01:29:38 pm »

I just looked up that bridge in Florence.  Wow.  It still amazes me how a few centuries back they could build these amazing cities with muscles and chisels while we, who can engineer space ships and nuclear submarines, are stuck with Bass Pro Shop and Chili's. 

Anyway, I heard that the bridges over the railroad downtown used to have stores on them.  Don't know if it's true but sounds cool. 
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 01:54:48 pm »

with local-centric retail shops and food stalls, art displays, you name it. Oh! Or The Boxyard Over the Arkansas!

I saw that idea on either the Tulsa World or Reddit.   but instead of local-centric shops, it was just a long REI bridge across the river.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 01:55:52 pm »

I just looked up that bridge in Florence.  Wow.  It still amazes me how a few centuries back they could build these amazing cities with muscles and chisels while we, who can engineer space ships and nuclear submarines, are stuck with Bass Pro Shop and Chili's.  

That bridge was built covered so that Royalty didn't have to mingle with the plebs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasari_Corridor
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 02:01:51 pm by BKDotCom » Logged
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 08:15:54 pm »

You can propose building a replica. I think that is your closest option.

Putting some (real) trolley rails across the river there might be a good route for a trolley to get downtown folks to both the Gathering Place and Turkey Mountain.  There would be some difficulties using the old Midland Valley R.O.W. but it is a possibility. Think trolley parks of the late 1800s.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org