A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:18:07 pm
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 277   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: President Trump- The Implications  (Read 1455022 times)
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #90 on: November 23, 2016, 03:56:37 pm »

Because the government exist to protect the people, not your assumption on what might be more profitable on an Excel sheet in the short term. Government is a check on business and most of the time they get it right.

Protect them from low wages. Where exactly does it stipulate that again?

This is wrong on so many levels. Government is not a check on business.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
davideinstein
« Reply #91 on: November 23, 2016, 03:59:03 pm »

To each their own. How many truly believe Warren would have fared any better than Clinton. Media would have been just as insulting to the people that voted for Trump in the end. I don't really see her pulling any more from the minority crowd.

I don't think you should avoid putting someone on a ballot because she's a blunt woman. Don't know who runs your house but blunt women are highly effective people. They get crap done, stick to the task and don't pander around like Trump types. Count me out on the good ole' boy network, I want effieceny.
davideinstein
« Reply #92 on: November 23, 2016, 04:01:52 pm »

Protect them from low wages. Where exactly does it stipulate that again?

This is wrong on so many levels. Government is not a check on business.

Absolutely is a check. Do you think regulations exist for fun?

New overtime law protects a business from making someone earning $455/week from working 70 hours. That's $6.50 per hour and it happens way, way more than you think.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 04:03:59 pm by davideinstein » Logged
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #93 on: November 23, 2016, 04:05:27 pm »

I don't think you should avoid putting someone on a ballot because she's a blunt woman. Don't know who runs your house but blunt women are highly effective people. They get crap done, stick to the task and don't pander around like Trump types. Count me out on the good ole' boy network, I want effieceny.

And you think Warren fits that description?

More bluster than bluntness. Given your predisposition to labor laws, I can see how you are totally on board with Warren. When she writes a law to actually put teeth in the STOCK Act I'll believe she is truly for the little guy. Until then, she's just one more D.C. blowhard that will say whatever it is she thinks will help her get elected.

Like I said, to each their own.

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #94 on: November 23, 2016, 04:08:03 pm »

Absolutely is a check. Do you think regulations exist for fun?

New overtime law protects a business from making someone earning $455/week from working 70 hours. That's $6.50 per hour and it happens way, way more than you think.

I know, I had a position that would have been effected at one point in my life. I was a willing participant in the marketplace. The government is acting not as a check on business, but as a check on people that want to work. Stupid if you ask me. If I offer $40K/year for  CPA to work 80 hours a week and they take it, why is that a crime. They are medelling in a societal problem that isn't a problem. If a business (like you describe) has problems retaining talent, well that's on them. Why are they waiting for the government to do something. Pretty poor business practice if you ask me.

davideinstein
« Reply #95 on: November 23, 2016, 04:16:58 pm »

And you think Warren fits that description?

More bluster than bluntness. Given your predisposition to labor laws, I can see how you are totally on board with Warren. When she writes a law to actually put teeth in the STOCK Act I'll believe she is truly for the little guy. Until then, she's just one more D.C. blowhard that will say whatever it is she thinks will help her get elected.

Like I said, to each their own.

I'm still on salary, I'm just giving you an honest assement of the reality of it. Those little guys aren't necessarily me anymore but they are the ones scraping out mayo bins at 4am earning their dollar. You can disagree, I have peers that strongly disagree like you do.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 07:51:51 pm by davideinstein » Logged
davideinstein
« Reply #96 on: November 23, 2016, 04:19:14 pm »

I know, I had a position that would have been effected at one point in my life. I was a willing participant in the marketplace. The government is acting not as a check on business, but as a check on people that want to work. Stupid if you ask me. If I offer $40K/year for  CPA to work 80 hours a week and they take it, why is that a crime. They are medelling in a societal problem that isn't a problem. If a business (like you describe) has problems retaining talent, well that's on them. Why are they waiting for the government to do something. Pretty poor business practice if you ask me.

The issue is less the new CPA making $40K and more the assistant manager making $23K on salary. If someone wants to debate the low end should be more like $750/week then ok, but $455/week is manipulating folks.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #97 on: November 23, 2016, 04:56:43 pm »

Hillary Clinton's margin in the popular vote against President-elect Donald Trump has surpassed 2 million, furthering the record for a candidate who lost in the Electoral College.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2016/11/23/donald-trump-hillary-clinton-2-million-popular-vote/94339510/

“The electoral college is a disaster for a democracy,” Trump tweeted after President Barack Obama’s reelection against Mitt Romney in 2012.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #98 on: November 23, 2016, 07:04:17 pm »

Better than Warren? What do you mean by that? She's one hell of a politician in my book.

One hell of a politician but not one I would like to have elected.

Edit:  I forgot to mention that we must have different "books".
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 07:32:09 pm by Red Arrow » Logged

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #99 on: November 23, 2016, 07:31:34 pm »

We've already implemented hourly for the managers that were salary in stores. It has way, way more positives than negatives. Happier employees, fair wage on an hourly average, more flexibility and less turnover.

Are your managers still working the same abusive hours but just getting paid for them?  Do you pay your beginning hourly workers significantly more than minimum wage?

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #100 on: November 23, 2016, 07:36:40 pm »

The issue is less the new CPA making $40K and more the assistant manager making $23K on salary. If someone wants to debate the low end should be more like $750/week then ok, but $455/week is manipulating folks.

If you feel so strongly about The $23K salary, why weren't "you" paying them a salary more commensurate with their contributions? 

davideinstein
« Reply #101 on: November 23, 2016, 07:54:41 pm »

Are your managers still working the same abusive hours but just getting paid for them?  Do you pay your beginning hourly workers significantly more than minimum wage?

They aren't working abusive hours but they are getting their fair shake after 40 hours and nobody has a chance of working on salary at $455/week like I had to. And that's a good thing.
davideinstein
« Reply #102 on: November 23, 2016, 07:57:29 pm »

If you feel so strongly about The $23K salary, why weren't "you" paying them a salary more commensurate with their contributions? 

Stop assuming that's what they were being paid, because it wasn't. It happens a lot in my industry though. But if that was the case, I'm middle management and could could overrode easily on salary compensation.
davideinstein
« Reply #103 on: November 23, 2016, 07:58:35 pm »

One hell of a politician but not one I would like to have elected.

Edit:  I forgot to mention that we must have different "books".

Then you read your book and I'll read mine.
davideinstein
« Reply #104 on: November 23, 2016, 08:00:59 pm »

Here's what the white vote for Trump looked like.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 277   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org