A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:57:53 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Concrete recommendation?  (Read 32145 times)
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2016, 09:17:52 pm »

Remember Boo, some still people consider Wikipedia scholarly material when they want to chime in on someone else’s conversation...completely unarmed.

Yikes.  Thanks for the reminder, Conan.  I wasn't thinking about the perils of Wikipedia.  I'd better make an edit or two...
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2016, 12:06:51 pm »

Anope....

Ya don't gotta have 'em, but under certain conditions, "they" sometimes can be of great benefit, as can knowing what you're discussing before you hit the "Post" button.

"They" are not the same.

Hint:  Before typing another inane comment, look for a reliable source of information about subjects such as: concrete curing, contraction, control joints, expansion, and fiber reinforced concrete online* or in a printed glossary of very common, basic, elementary construction terms/concepts/methods.

Take your vorpal sword in hand and slay the manxome foe of ignorance.  Read.  Learn.  Enlighten yourself.  That's the very best, most concrete recommendation I can give you.   Wink

*Some online sources, such as the frumious Wikipedia and discussion boards frequented by ignorant trolls, can be misleading or even false.  Be cautious.  Use judgment.  Discriminate.  Discern.  Don't let your mind be polluted with tainted "facts" while you're standing (or sitting) in uffish thought.     

Or if you don't have real world experience don't comment....He will never learn...

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2016, 12:10:13 pm »

Or if you don't have real world experience don't comment....He will never learn...

That would cut this forum down to just about nothing.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2016, 01:17:03 pm »

Anope....

Ya don't gotta have 'em, but under certain conditions, "they" sometimes can be of great benefit, as can knowing what you're discussing before you hit the "Post" button.

"They" are not the same.

Hint:  Before typing another inane comment, look for a reliable source of information about subjects such as: concrete curing, contraction, control joints, expansion, and fiber reinforced concrete online* or in a printed glossary of very common, basic, elementary construction terms/concepts/methods.

Take your vorpal sword in hand and slay the manxome foe of ignorance.  Read.  Learn.  Enlighten yourself.  That's the very best, most concrete recommendation I can give you.   Wink

*Some online sources, such as the frumious Wikipedia and discussion boards frequented by ignorant trolls, can be misleading or even false.  Be cautious.  Use judgment.  Discriminate.  Discern.  Don't let your mind be polluted with tainted "facts" while you're standing (or sitting) in uffish thought.     

So, are you saying you would pour a slab of concrete of the size to be a pool deck and would depend on fiberglass to keep it from cracking?  Ok...I will concede that if you do slabs smaller than say 8 ft by 8 ft you probably won't need any kind of cut or expansion joint.  Pool deck - and being extended as the original post said - just makes me think it is already bigger than that and going even bigger.   But maybe it IS for an inflatable kiddie pool, and I just scaled it up in my mind, and 8 x 8 or less is what is being planned.

But, if you pour something larger than that, and don't mind it cracking at random, then by all means, use neither cuts or joints.  But it will crack at random.  Even with the fiberglass.  And you could possibly have known that if you had ever poured concrete before.  Or even looked at concrete before.

And if you believe the fiber filled concrete won't crack....well then I know for a fact you have never seen a fiber slab of any size after just a few months.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2016, 01:19:04 pm »

Remember Boo, some still people consider Wikipedia scholarly material when they want to chime in on someone else’s conversation...completely unarmed.

Awww...really??

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2016, 04:41:56 pm »

So, are you saying you would pour a slab of concrete of the size to be a pool deck and would depend on fiberglass to keep it from cracking?  Ok...I will concede that if you do slabs smaller than say 8 ft by 8 ft you probably won't need any kind of cut or expansion joint.  Pool deck - and being extended as the original post said - just makes me think it is already bigger than that and going even bigger.   But maybe it IS for an inflatable kiddie pool, and I just scaled it up in my mind, and 8 x 8 or less is what is being planned.

But, if you pour something larger than that, and don't mind it cracking at random, then by all means, use neither cuts or joints.  But it will crack at random.  Even with the fiberglass.  And you could possibly have known that if you had ever poured concrete before.  Or even looked at concrete before.

And if you believe the fiber filled concrete won't crack....well then I know for a fact you have never seen a fiber slab of any size after just a few months.

Do you have a recommendation for the OP...If not quit shitting on the thread while you show your ignorance on Concrete.....

Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2016, 05:30:46 pm »

....well then I know for a fact...

What I'm saying is that your comments are lacking in both knowledge and in facts.  You are free to remain ignorant, however.

Best wishes for you...
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2016, 05:56:16 pm »

Do you have a recommendation for the OP...If not quit shitting on the thread while you show your ignorance on Concrete.....

Keep trying.  You might get something right sometime.  Not likely, but hey, miracles happen!!  I'm pulling for ya...!!

What does Jeff tell you about cuts or joints?   Not necessary??
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 06:02:45 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2016, 05:59:48 pm »

What I'm saying is that your comments are lacking in both knowledge and in facts.  You are free to remain ignorant, however.

Best wishes for you...

And since you DO know so much - tell us about how concrete doesn't crack.  Show a specific example of a slab that hasn't.  If you wanna brings facts into the discussion, by all means, bring some.  Give us the facts about curing/cured concrete!  I would love to hear your facts!!  Will be waiting....

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2016, 06:10:59 pm »

I am looking to extend my pool deck and have what's there replaced as well. I spoke to a few neighbors who have done this in the recent past and each one has said who they have used but also said they would not reuse them at all. So I am looking for recommendations on a good concrete person/company that will do the work in a timely manner (actually show up).

Thanks!!

Talk to the concrete people you select - don't listen to the carp going on here in the thread.  They will get you on the right path.

BBB and Angieslist are still good.  And in spite of the recommendation by Breadbrain, Gillco Construction doesn't have any complaints and gets good marks from BBB.

AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2016, 08:26:25 am »

And since you DO know so much - tell us about how concrete doesn't crack.  Show a specific example of a slab that hasn't.  If you wanna brings facts into the discussion, by all means, bring some.  Give us the facts about curing/cured concrete!  I would love to hear your facts!!  Will be waiting....

Since I started the Fibermesh part...our slab, I'd say it's about 9' x 15' is nearly 20 years old, has zero cracks and has a car parked on it every day.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 08:29:12 am by AngieB » Logged
TulsaMoon
Civic Leader

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2016, 09:43:02 am »

The deck will extend off the existing cool deck about 9x25 and I say about because it will have a rather large curve to it in order to match the curves already in place. The cool deck has joints and I would think for appearance purposes I would want to have the new portion match those, but as said here a concrete person worth any salt would know if I should do that or not. I have so far talked to three different concrete/pool deck companies and I am not impressed. I will take the Angies list and BBB advice though and continue my search. Thank you all for the responses.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2016, 08:23:46 am »

Keep trying.  You might get something right sometime.  Not likely, but hey, miracles happen!!  I'm pulling for ya...!!

What does Jeff tell you about cuts or joints?   Not necessary??

How many yards of concrete have you poured in your lifetime....Whats the largest pour you have assisted poring/finishing....Huh

MyDogHunts
Activist

ascetic hedonist

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2016, 12:59:09 pm »

Just to keep this going, concrete & steel have the same coefficient of expansion.  That is why they work together so well in proving strength in beams and slabs from bending stress and in collums for compression.  Fibers are great for holding concrete together but cracks will develop most times... unless the slab is floating.

OSU Civil Engineering, BS Construction Management & 7-yrs. with an interior concrete company concreterevolution.com
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 01:01:01 pm by MyDogHunts » Logged

I ran from OK about 50-yrs. ago & in 2010 I saw downtown's potential.

Tulsa's in a Phoenix rise, reason enough to stick around.

Besides... you can't fully be an Okie except in Oklahoma.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2016, 02:10:02 pm »

Unless you post-stress the concrete via cables, but that's potatoe.

One of my friends had a hangar built on a post-stressed slab but it still got some cracks.  To be honest, the cracks may have developed before the cables were tensioned.  I don't remember.  What is the supposed advantage of post-stressed vs. rebar?  It seems like anchoring a cable at each end of the slab would invite buckling.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org