A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:54:30 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who is voting for Paul Tay?  (Read 33935 times)
davideinstein
« on: June 02, 2016, 09:15:09 pm »

Either because you agree with his platform or as a protest vote?
rebound
City Father

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 09:11:13 am »

Either because you agree with his platform or as a protest vote?

I kind of made a joke about this in the other thread, but in all seriousness  a person should not vote a protest vote unless (a) they honestly don't care, or (b) they are sure it will not affect the outcome.

I'm hearing this all the time at the National level this year, specifically with regard to voting Libertarian.  And you know, I kind of like Gary Johnson and my politics is  generally in line with Libertarian philosophy.  But I also know that he has zero chance of winning.  So do I and others like me vote Libertarian as a protest vote this season?  In OK, maybe.  It is a virtual certainty that Trump is going to win OK.  So hey,  why not?   But in a swing state, neither side (trying to be fair to both sides...) can afford to waste a vote because those votes could actually matter, and regardless of which side of the aisle a person is on, I'm guessing they DO have an opinion between the two major candidates for president.

So everyone should vote how they want, that's what we are supposed to do.  But understand that if you/we actually have a preference between the two leading mayoral candidates we should not squander that opinion on a protest vote, but rather actively support which ever each of us thinks is the best (better?  least objectionable?) option.

Ed W
City Father

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 10:15:37 am »

In one of his previous campaigns, Tay received about 900 votes.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 10:25:31 am »

If he was serious he'd actually campaign and might get the 10% polling to make the stage at a debate.  His campaign is not serious though and when he hopped on stage and had a full minute or two in front of the cameras he didn't say anything of substance.   His facebook page is pretty clearly satire.  If you're not serious, don't get upset when you're not taken seriously. 
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 11:44:46 am »

I kind of made a joke about this in the other thread, but in all seriousness  a person should not vote a protest vote unless (a) they honestly don't care, or (b) they are sure it will not affect the outcome.

I'm hearing this all the time at the National level this year, specifically with regard to voting Libertarian.  And you know, I kind of like Gary Johnson and my politics is  generally in line with Libertarian philosophy.  But I also know that he has zero chance of winning.  So do I and others like me vote Libertarian as a protest vote this season?  In OK, maybe.  It is a virtual certainty that Trump is going to win OK.  So hey,  why not?   But in a swing state, neither side (trying to be fair to both sides...) can afford to waste a vote because those votes could actually matter, and regardless of which side of the aisle a person is on, I'm guessing they DO have an opinion between the two major candidates for president.

So everyone should vote how they want, that's what we are supposed to do.  But understand that if you/we actually have a preference between the two leading mayoral candidates we should not squander that opinion on a protest vote, but rather actively support which ever each of us thinks is the best (better?  least objectionable?) option.

I see your point, but I don't see any vote as wasted unless you are voting for a pure joke candidate like Tay.

I am one of those people who will be voting for Gary Johnson this November. I am a lifelong Republican, the sane non-religious fanatic kind, and cannot stomach voting for Trump. I also cannot see any situation where I would vote for Hillary, so my choice is to either not vote or to find another alternative. Is my vote wasted? I don't believe so as I am voting for Gary Johnson as a matter of principle.

#feelthejohnson
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 11:49:00 am »

#feelthejohnson

I'm a white male Republican voter in South Tulsa.  This means I get to vote more than once in Oklahoma.

I will use one of my votes for Gary Johnson solely because of this pound sign.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 12:53:01 pm »

#feelthejohnson

Is there a bumper sticker for this?  Because I would seriously consider putting one on my truck.

I'm a white male Democrat voter in Midtown Tulsa, so I'll only get on real voting opportunity.    Cheesy

To the "wasted vote" discussion, I honestly don't think it makes much difference here in OK and may vote for Johnson too, just on principle.   But I hear a lot of the Bernie supporters getting all self-righteous and saying they will never vote for Hillary, and (assuming they live in a swing state) I completely disagree with their logic.  Regardless of how we would like the system to be, for this election it is going to come down to Hillary or The Donald.  And if a person is in a state that is up for grabs, those votes on principle would be a 1/2 vote for the other person.  For them, they have to ask themselves "would I rather have Hillary or The Donald?"  Regardless of how much they may dislike Hillary, my gut says they'd rather have her in there than him, and if so they need to vote that way.

I don't really like the system either, but it's what we have.   Use it wisely.  (or, at least not stupidly...)

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 01:13:26 pm »

I'm a white male Democrat voter in Midtown Tulsa, so I'll only get on real voting opportunity.   

HA...you think your vote is counted!!!

Hey guys!  Democrat over there thinks his vote is counted.  (Rolling on floor laughing emoticon placed here)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2016, 02:43:07 pm »

Did you know Gary is an avid endurance cyclist?  He’s planning to do Ride The Divide and he’s run the Leadville Trail 100.  Means he’s pretty much a badass. 

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 09:26:36 pm »

I'm a white male Republican voter in South Tulsa. 

In a few more years, your vote and mine will be worthless. 

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 09:50:32 pm »

HA...you think your vote is counted!!!

Hey guys!  Democrat over there thinks his vote is counted.  (Rolling on floor laughing emoticon placed here)

One of my friends (yes, I have a few) had the opportunity to change his voter registration to CA from OK.  He did so to have a voice in politics.  I say the only change he made is to a state where his voice is a majority.  He still does not make a difference.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 10:27:37 pm »

I used to feel that way.  But.. I cannot vote for either Trump or Clinton while I cannot not vote at all either   Cry

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 10:41:02 pm »

I used to feel that way.  But.. I cannot vote for either Trump or Clinton while I cannot not vote at all either   Cry

Almost removes that barrier for the honest common person who never would have committed a felony for fear of losing their right to vote.  As of now it’s like: “Give me a suspended sentence and the right not to vote ever again, and I’m good!”

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
rebound
City Father

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2016, 10:04:39 pm »

Did you know Gary is an avid endurance cyclist?  He’s planning to do Ride The Divide and he’s run the Leadville Trail 100.  Means he’s pretty much a badass. 

Did not know that.  I'll have to do some more reading on him.   I wish he had a real chance.  He'd definitely be my pick this round.

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2016, 11:12:22 am »

One of my friends (yes, I have a few) had the opportunity to change his voter registration to CA from OK.  He did so to have a voice in politics.  I say the only change he made is to a state where his voice is a majority.  He still does not make a difference.

By being in the majority he is one of the voices to be heard. I have friends here who are registered as Republicans for the same reason. They want to mitigate the damage that a canoe with only the right hand paddling the boat causes.

BTW, I loved your comment about change and progress. Some time I will pm you how profound that really was.

onward...through the fog
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org