A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:56:33 pm
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: USA BMX to move headquarters to Tulsa  (Read 69657 times)
Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #90 on: September 29, 2017, 10:28:43 am »

I looked it up, Kansas City has one hotel with over 1,000 rooms, so does Denver. Dallas has five. Hotels that size are not common and shows that use only 1,000 rooms are not large, unless that's the hotel for the staff.

Which hotel in Kansas City has more than 1,000 rooms?

TeeDub
« Reply #91 on: September 29, 2017, 10:51:02 am »

We call those "alternate" facts.   Heavily researched...   Sort of...  Maybe.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 10:53:10 am by TeeDub » Logged
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #92 on: September 29, 2017, 10:56:22 am »

I think none.  The largest I could find is 983:
http://www.cvent.com/rfp/kansas-city-mo-meeting-hotels-d1cb313b718440f7a492960a3cea3417.aspx

In St. Louis it is the Marriott St. Louis Grand.  Sounds like one of those instances where the City really wanted to be able to brag that it had a 1000 room hotel, but it seems like it was a bit rocky.

The hotel sat empty for over a decade, until the city government pushed for its renovation as part of a 1000-room hotel to serve the adjacent America's Center.[4] Cleanup work began on the hotel in November 1999 at a cost of $5 million. The hotel was then renovated from 2000 to 2002 by Kimberly-Clark[5] and Historic Restoration Inc. at a cost of $265 million.[2] At this time, a new addition was constructed to the east. It was originally to have had 38 floors but was eventually reduced to match the height of the existing hotel.[6] The hotel was renamed the Renaissance St. Louis Grand Hotel.

The hotel was foreclosed on by its bondholders in 2009, after it failed to generate enough revenue to cover interest payments.[7] The hotel was sold in 2014 to Haberhill Inc. and was renovated from November 2014 to August 2015 at a cost of $30 million. At the completion of the work, it was renamed the Marriott St. Louis Grand Hotel.[8][9]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriott_St._Louis_Grand_Hotel

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #93 on: September 29, 2017, 02:14:55 pm »

I think none.  The largest I could find is 983:
http://www.cvent.com/rfp/kansas-city-mo-meeting-hotels-d1cb313b718440f7a492960a3cea3417.aspx

In St. Louis it is the Marriott St. Louis Grand.  Sounds like one of those instances where the City really wanted to be able to brag that it had a 1000 room hotel, but it seems like it was a bit rocky.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriott_St._Louis_Grand_Hotel

The St Louis Grand was very rocky indeed.  And it only has 917 rooms, having been down-sized after failing miserably.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #94 on: September 29, 2017, 02:17:50 pm »

A site I looked at last night said the Marriott had 1,100 rooms. On their own site it says 983. I was off.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #95 on: September 29, 2017, 02:33:27 pm »

I'd be curious to know if there has been any particular event that wanted to be in Tulsa but was unable to do so for lack of 1,000 room hotel.  My guess is that, if that ever happened, there were other reasons they turned Tulsa down, like lack of any real amenities downtown.  I'm always shocked when I see a shuttle from the downtown Hyatt or Doubletree at Walgreens at 15th and Lewis, because it's apparently the closest place to get basic items after dark.  When I stay in big cities, I usually find the closest drug or convenient store to walk to for water and toiletries I may have forgotten.  Not in Tulsa though.  I really hope the Reasors gets done on the PAC lot and that it is open fairly late into the evenings.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #96 on: September 29, 2017, 04:08:36 pm »

I'd be curious to know if there has been any particular event that wanted to be in Tulsa but was unable to do so for lack of 1,000 room hotel.  My guess is that, if that ever happened, there were other reasons they turned Tulsa down, like lack of any real amenities downtown.  I'm always shocked when I see a shuttle from the downtown Hyatt or Doubletree at Walgreens at 15th and Lewis, because it's apparently the closest place to get basic items after dark.  When I stay in big cities, I usually find the closest drug or convenient store to walk to for water and toiletries I may have forgotten.  Not in Tulsa though.  I really hope the Reasors gets done on the PAC lot and that it is open fairly late into the evenings.

I don't think Reasors' stores close, I know the one in Jenks is 24 hours.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #97 on: September 29, 2017, 04:27:37 pm »

Somehow Tulsa has managed to host BMX largest event for more than a decade and do it without a 1000 room hotel.  Why would it be an issue now?

This has been brought up by the CVB off and on since the BOK Center and Convention Center construction started. Tulsa is pretty central geographically and could pitch itself as "a convention town" but conventions want to book out large blocks of rooms at 1-2 places as "the official hotel(s)" and not a half dozen. That's why they go place like San Diego and Vegas (I think every work convention I've ever been to or thought about has been in Vegas) I believe their thinking is that if some percent, say 10%, typically stay at "the official hotel" then if our largest hotel is 600 rooms, our largest convention is 6,000 attendees (assuming single occupancy). The diversity of ownership may be an issue too. If the Hyatt opened a second Hyatt a block over with another 400-500 rooms, then they could treat those as single vendor. Vegas does similar as a few owners own about half of the strip.
TeeDub
« Reply #98 on: September 29, 2017, 07:08:53 pm »

Most of the times the conventions love people to stay in their blocks for strictly selfish reasons.   Typically a convention will get at least one room comped for every 6-8 reserved.   After enough, they may get the convention facilities free and other discounts.

BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #99 on: March 27, 2019, 01:36:21 pm »

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/government-and-politics/bmx-project-cost-increases-by-nearly-million-won-t-be/article_b4a3ea5c-3d74-5084-8347-0a5cbfae6d74.html

BMX project cost increases by nearly $8 million, won't be completed till 2021, city officials say

raise your hand if you're surprised
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #100 on: March 28, 2019, 07:34:53 pm »

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/government-and-politics/bmx-project-cost-increases-by-nearly-million-won-t-be/article_b4a3ea5c-3d74-5084-8347-0a5cbfae6d74.html

BMX project cost increases by nearly $8 million, won't be completed till 2021, city officials say

raise your hand if you're surprised

All this after they destroyed a perfectly good ball park at Expo Square due to a soda contract.

Fast-forward six months and USA BMX will pull out of its Tulsa plans.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #101 on: March 29, 2019, 10:37:00 am »

I wondered about that as well
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #102 on: March 29, 2019, 11:42:04 am »

All this after they destroyed a perfectly good ball park at Expo Square due to a soda contract.

The stadium was coming down either way, I think. It was outdated. I liked the soccer games there, and would have supported some reconfiguration for the team's permanent use, but I also think the atmosphere at Veterans Park is pretty awesome too.  I also like the idea of revitalizing the Fintube site. But it still blows my mind that this whole thing fell apart over a friggin soda contract and that the stadium site will be yet another midtown parking lot. But I agree that BMX is likely to pull out soon which sucks.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #103 on: March 29, 2019, 01:23:22 pm »

The stadium was coming down either way, I think. It was outdated. I liked the soccer games there, and would have supported some reconfiguration for the team's permanent use, but I also think the atmosphere at Veterans Park is pretty awesome too.  I also like the idea of revitalizing the Fintube site. But it still blows my mind that this whole thing fell apart over a friggin soda contract and that the stadium site will be yet another midtown parking lot. But I agree that BMX is likely to pull out soon which sucks.

It was around 40 years old but had been quite well-maintained and was a perfect venue for semi-pro sports.  But hey, let's add to the city's heat island!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #104 on: March 29, 2019, 04:33:51 pm »

But hey, let's add to the city's heat island!

Let's not forget the rain runoff.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org