A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:25:56 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Magic City Books / Archer Building  (Read 50062 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2016, 04:14:48 pm »

Interesting metric completely missed by me.

Other than franchise hotels and Spaghetti Warehouse, are there any national chains in the Brady?

Mexicali Border Cafe.   

Does 2 count as a chain, especially since the other is 'national' - Florida....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2016, 04:18:33 pm »

Subway

Hmmm, can’t picture where it is.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2016, 06:11:16 pm »

Not having lots of chains downtown has given many of us local guys who are inexperienced and starting out on a wing and a prayer, a better chance to start businesses, make some mistakes, learn, adapt, and still possibly make a go of it. 

For a while now its like "What does downtown not have?" and thats your opportunity to go in and do it while there are pockets of decent rent and low competition.

But always keeping in the back of your mind that sooner or later as things get going, others with deeper pockets and more experience will be wanting in on the game,  so it's a race to keep your business growing and getting better as both rents and competition continue to rise. 

It's sometimes risky and tough being first in, but there are advantages too. 

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
davideinstein
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2016, 09:38:22 pm »

Hmmm, can’t picture where it is.

Next to Lefty's
davideinstein
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2016, 09:44:12 pm »

Not having lots of chains downtown has given many of us local guys who are inexperienced and starting out on a wing and a prayer, a better chance to start businesses, make some mistakes, learn, adapt, and still possibly make a go of it. 

For a while now its like "What does downtown not have?" and thats your opportunity to go in and do it while there are pockets of decent rent and low competition.

But always keeping in the back of your mind that sooner or later as things get going, others with deeper pockets and more experience will be wanting in on the game,  so it's a race to keep your business growing and getting better as both rents and competition continue to rise. 

It's sometimes risky and tough being first in, but there are advantages too. 

It's not just decent rent, it's dirt cheap rent comparatively speaking to the rest of the city. Deco District might have the best real estate market in the entire city...and I can't for the life of me figure out why people aren't taking advantage of it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2016, 09:51:58 pm »

It's not just decent rent, it's dirt cheap rent comparatively speaking to the rest of the city. Deco District might have the best real estate market in the entire city...and I can't for the life of me figure out why people aren't taking advantage of it.

Lack of enough mixed use development?

Close proximity to Iron Gate clients?

Get more residential in the immediate area completed and that might change.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
davideinstein
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2016, 09:52:24 pm »

Deco District for sure needs chains. It's the same effect an anchor store used to have at a retail mall. There is enough real estate to have a mix and chains would add foot traffic to grow the local businesses.
davideinstein
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2016, 09:58:23 pm »

Lack of enough mixed use development?

Close proximity to Iron Gate clients?

Get more residential in the immediate area completed and that might change.

There is a lot of foot traffic even after 5pm. We aren't open at 8pm on a Sunday to lose money. The mix use is there more than people realize at this point and the residents have limited options on weekends.

Iron Gate hurts. There is reason all of the abandon buildings are along the areas where they hang out. I'm all for taking care of the poor but I don't think it should be at the expense of economic growth or a neighborhood.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 10:02:17 pm by davideinstein » Logged
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2016, 10:07:11 am »

Deco District for sure needs chains. It's the same effect an anchor store used to have at a retail mall. There is enough real estate to have a mix and chains would add foot traffic to grow the local businesses.

Aside from the occasional JJ’s splurge, my wife and I generally avoid chain food places.  And no, I’m not saying that for your benefit, you guys do the best lettuce wrapped bread-less sandwich.  

So are you saying more chain fast food or more chain retailers would benefit the area?

For us, anyhow, we’d be drawn by locally-owned restaurants than chain to make it downtown for a meal.  When I meet a client or friend for lunch in the Deco District for lunch it’s either at La Salle’s or Elote.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2016, 10:34:28 am »

Mexicali Border Cafe.   

Does 2 count as a chain, especially since the other is 'national' - Florida....

Mexicali isn't great by any means, but I don't think it's a chain.
cynical
Civic Leader

« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2016, 11:40:23 am »

According to their web site, there are two restaurants in their "chain." One in Tulsa, one in Florida. As "national chains" go, that's pretty weak.

Mexicali isn't great by any means, but I don't think it's a chain.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2016, 02:33:26 pm »

It's a stretch to call them a chain - two links ain't much of a chain....  but it is national.  I guess.

Yeah, their food is never great - nowhere near as good as El Sombrero in Broken Arrow - but they have never given us food poisoning, so that's a plus 1.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2016, 02:45:09 pm »

According to their web site, there are two restaurants in their "chain." One in Tulsa, one in Florida. As "national chains" go, that's pretty weak.

Unrelated (or is it?)   The new taco joint (Jimmy Hula's) that's replacing Taco Cabana @ 18th n Yale is also in Florida.
Same franchisee?

http://jimmyhulas.com/locations/
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 02:47:30 pm by BKDotCom » Logged
cynical
Civic Leader

« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2016, 03:05:58 pm »

What is the connection between Tulsa and Florida anyway? Naples Flatbread came from Naples, FL, as well.

Unrelated (or is it?)   The new taco joint (Jimmy Hula's) that's replacing Taco Cabana @ 18th n Yale is also in Florida.
Same franchisee?

http://jimmyhulas.com/locations/

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2016, 04:16:07 pm »

What is the connection between Tulsa and Florida anyway? Naples Flatbread came from Naples, FL, as well.

If you so something here and it is successful, then moving to Florida is nice just because of the weather...and ya might be able to repeat the success.  Seems like I remember one of the founders of Advanced Medical Instruments (one of the AMI's) here in Tulsa doing that quite a few years ago.  Used to make blood pressure devices - now a good OEM printed circuit board manufacturer.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org