A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:29:26 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 11TH ST DEVELOPMENT  (Read 127174 times)
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« on: February 16, 2016, 09:32:37 am »

Probably the most dramatic development growth in Tulsa appears to be happening on 11st Street between Peoria and Harvard Avenues.
Between Peoria and Utica nearly every available building is either occupied or is in the process of being rehab for occupancy. There is a pet groomer, a studio, retail shops etc.
East of Lewis there is the Campbell, coffee shops, lofts.

If you haven't taken route 66 in a while, drive by and take a gander.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 10:00:43 am »

Especially nice to see the stretch between Utica and Peoria getting a facelift.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 01:00:14 pm »

Probably the most dramatic development growth in Tulsa appears to be happening on 11st Street between Peoria and Harvard Avenues.
Between Peoria and Utica nearly every available building is either occupied or is in the process of being rehab for occupancy. There is a pet groomer, a studio, retail shops etc.
East of Lewis there is the Campbell, coffee shops, lofts.

If you haven't taken route 66 in a while, drive by and take a gander.

It really is nice to see the development along 11th. The Renaissance Neighborhood Association played a big part and was instrumental in saving the Campbell Hotel and renovating it. 918 Coffee and Capps are excellent additions (918 is an awesome place. I wasn't a big fan of their coffee at first, but has been good recently). Capps makes some tasty fall-off-the-bone ribs and great spicy sauce. Renaissance Brewery is under construction at 13th and Lewis. A lot is going on along Lewis, west of TU.

It will take time but this area is up and coming. If it becomes more uniformly nice, it will bridge the gap from downtown to TU and help Cherry St expand north and Pearl District go East. I am hoping the Rapit Transit helps make 11th more desirable also.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 01:51:57 pm »

I drive by almost every day, especially now with the BA under construction.  It'll be a pretty dramatic change when the current projects are complete.
Dspike
Activist

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 02:17:43 pm »

Agreed. And TYPros is hoping to bring some more attention to the progress with this year's StreetCred program being based at 11th and Lewis. For those who have not checked out the area recently, come join the fun on April 30.

Details from FB:

STREET CReD: 66
April 30 | 11am-4pm
Along Route 66(11th Street) between Delaware and Lewis

Presented by Fowler Toyota of Tulsa, Street CReD: 66 is under way. In its sixth iteration, TYPros takes on yet another audacious approach to community redevelopment. This year's event pays homage to its Urbanists roots, reimagining an iconic corridor of our city.

Tulsa’s Young Professionals announced plans for Street Cred: 66, the latest installment of the organization’s annual community redevelopment initiative. Building on successful past events, including efforts in the Pearl District and Tulsa’s urban core, TYPros will take on its most geographically ambitious Street Cred this spring, scheduled for Saturday, April 30.

New to this year’s event, TYPros will work with the City of Tulsa to close the two outermost lanes of 11th Street between Delaware and Peoria for the week leading up to Street Cred in order to demonstrate a number of multimodal transit options. These temporary simulations of existing transportation plans awaiting implementation include the east-­‐west Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) line and bike lanes called for by the GO Plan.

“The iconic backdrop of Route 66 gives this year’s Street Cred an opportunity to connect our city’s past with its future potential,” said Daniel Regan, 2016 chair of TYPros. “Our members passionately care about increasing the number of transit options in Tulsa. It’s essential for Tulsa to develop in a more mutlimodal, pedestrian-­‐ friendly way. Street Cred affords our organization the chance to make that case very practically along a key thoroughfare running through the heart of the city.”

In addition to transportation programming, Street Cred: 66 will incorporate a number of other Mother Road motifs, including a car show and Route 66 museum.

"There's an organic revitalization underway along 11th Street," said Regan. "Our hope is that Street Cred: 66 calls attention to these existing efforts, demonstrating the continued potential along Tulsa's stretch of America's Main Street."

https://www.facebook.com/events/1536701603296346/
davideinstein
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 04:16:07 pm »

TyPros will then claim responsibility for it all.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 04:19:31 pm »

TyPros will then claim responsibility for it all.

Well if you are referring to the Street CreD event, it is their deal. So yeah, they can lay claim to that.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
davideinstein
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 04:26:22 pm »

Well if you are referring to the Street CreD event, it is their deal. So yeah, they can lay claim to that.

I'm being snide about there already being development on 11th happening.
Dspike
Activist

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 08:20:53 am »

In case you didn't get to the end of the blockquote, here is what TYPros Chair Daniel Regan is saying:

"There's an organic revitalization underway along 11th Street," said Regan. "Our hope is that Street Cred: 66 calls attention to these existing efforts, demonstrating the continued potential along Tulsa's stretch of America's Main Street."

One of the activities planned is a scavenger hunt to encourage attendees to visit many of the currently existing (and often new) locales on the strip.

http://typros.org/streetcred66
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2016, 09:29:22 am »

I'm being snide about there already being development on 11th happening.

I will agree with the general distain for TYPro's, but I will say StreetCred is one of the few things they do right. They really were a key player in bringing attention to 6th Street as The Phoenix was about to open. They also helped put a spotlight on the TowneWest area that helped lead to some renovations to properties out there. I will be very interested to see how they set up to "showcase" the BRT line.

11th Street is just begging for a road diet. I wish they would do a campaign with StreetCred to raise funds to repaint this street and add on street parking and bring it down to 2 traffic lanes until the BRT line starts. Adding on street parking would do wonders to making this section feel more welcoming and help accessibility to a lot of these new businesses opening up.
Dspike
Activist

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2016, 08:48:27 am »

TYPros will be narrowing it to 2 lanes for a week leading up to the event next Saturday as a demonstration of what alternatives exist.

"In 2016, Street Cred: 66 is all about multimodal transportation. New to this year’s event, TYPros will work with the City of Tulsa to close the two outermost lanes of 11th Street between Delaware and Peoria for the week leading up to the annual Saturday event in order to demonstrate a number of multimodal transit options. These temporary simulations of existing transportation plans awaiting implementation include the east-west Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) line and bike lanes called for by the GO Plan."

davideinstein
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2016, 02:23:42 pm »

I will agree with the general distain for TYPro's, but I will say StreetCred is one of the few things they do right. They really were a key player in bringing attention to 6th Street as The Phoenix was about to open. They also helped put a spotlight on the TowneWest area that helped lead to some renovations to properties out there. I will be very interested to see how they set up to "showcase" the BRT line.

11th Street is just begging for a road diet. I wish they would do a campaign with StreetCred to raise funds to repaint this street and add on street parking and bring it down to 2 traffic lanes until the BRT line starts. Adding on street parking would do wonders to making this section feel more welcoming and help accessibility to a lot of these new businesses opening up.

It's perfect for two traffic lanes and bike lanes on each side as well.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2016, 03:51:49 pm »

Cherry Street needs to have its lanes reduced, sidewalks widened, trees planted, and bike lanes installed.  When the rest of the roads are functioning properly, Cherry Street can handle less traffic volume.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2016, 07:59:54 am »

In case you didn't get to the end of the blockquote, here is what TYPros Chair Daniel Regan is saying:

One of the activities planned is a scavenger hunt to encourage attendees to visit many of the currently existing (and often new) locales on the strip.

I have really like the StreetCred events! The south downtown one had info about several neat things going on (bicycle rental kiosks - which is now happening) and a design contest for parking lots (for which the Boston Mixed-Use sports complex was designed - they have TCC approval and are pursuing funding). I think it has the potential help get things going a bit by bringing people with a passion for urban revitalization together. If nothing else, it is a neat fun event where you can learn what's going on.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2016, 08:13:49 am »

Cherry Street needs to have its lanes reduced, sidewalks widened, trees planted, and bike lanes installed.  When the rest of the roads are functioning properly, Cherry Street can handle less traffic volume.

I’m not sure how you could reduce the lanes much further.  As it is now, you have angled parking on the north side and parallel on the south and two lanes for passage.  Unless you are talking about removing street-side parking, there’s no way you could insert bike lanes.  The on-street parking is pretty much needed.  With a 25 MPH speed limit, I don’t really get the point of bike lanes on the Utica to Peoria stretch anyhow.  Just pedal along in the car lane and annoy the people behind you.

Here’s something I do not understand why Tulsa does not do a better job of enforcing, especially in pedestrian corridors like Cherry Street:  utilizing crosswalk yield signs “Yield To Pedestrians In Crosswalk State Law”.  They use them in Jenks and I’m thinking I’ve seen them in downtown BA.  Most drivers just whiz through the clearly-marked Cherry St. crosswalks when people are trying to cross.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org