A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:44:35 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bartlett: not everyone likes nature, put Restaurant on Turkey Mountain  (Read 11070 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« on: November 13, 2015, 08:46:18 am »

My suggestion … would be that certain portions of the land in the area be set aside for purposes that would generate sales tax for the city of Tulsa. In other words, right on top of Turkey Mountain have an area set aside for a restaurant, beautiful views of the city, a place for people when they go walking, they could go see it. …

The community, the taxpayers, not all are interested in walking through the woods at Turkey Mountain, but they will be very interested in going up to a restaurant or going up to a facility where they could sit and watch, look, experience nature, whatever that might be.

As reported by The Frontier.

I didn't think I could like this man's development policy any less. I was wrong. Not sure where to start...

First, I thought this might be a Tulsa version of an Onion article. The language "right on top of Turkey Mountain" seems so out of touch. It is what you would expect the opposition to say, "they want to build a restaurant right on top of Turkey Mountain!"

Second, this is yet another proposal to take park land and turn it into commercial space. Disturbing trend. Why aren't we turning all the surplus city property into retail? The police department has an HQ right on Riverside, prime real estate to be turned into retail - not everyone likes police stations, or whatever, but everyone would like a new strip mall! Anyone wonder what is going to happen to the parks along the river when we put water in it? I have no doubts now.

Third, if you put a restaurant "right on top of Turkey" such that it has a view of the city, you then have a road going right to the top of Turkey, and power lines, and water, and sewer.  You would have to come off of Elwood/61st and go straight over to the river. Cutting Turkey directly in half with the road and destroying all three major trails. Of course, you would also have to build more parking lots as the currently lots are both often full and would require a walk to get to the new restaurant --- like most Oklahoman's can be expected to walk! Ha!

Sure, he tried to back off and make it sound like he was talking about the area that is for sale. But that's not what he said - he said "right on top of Turkey Mountain" and indicated views of the City of Tulsa. The land that is for sale is not on top of Turkey Mountain, and it offers no views of the City of Tulsa. Shenanigans.

Fourth: No, not everyone is interested in walking through the woods at Turkey Mountain. Some are interested in horse back riding, some trail run, some dog walk, some take tours/school kids/cub scout troops to teach them about plants, some go to bird watch, some cross country ski, and still others go mountain biking.  Of course it isn't everyone - but

Those who are going are often the most active. About every other weekend there is some event out there. A mountain bike race, a trail run, whatever. Every Wednesday in the winter there is a group that goes night mountain biking. Its a hive of activity. And those people buy things in and around Tulsa. Without Turkey, I wouldn't have mountain bikes. And that's thousands of dollars in retail sales for Tulsa businesses. And Im not alone.

Fifth... " but they will be very interested in going up to a restaurant or going up to a facility where they could sit and watch, look, experience nature, whatever that might be." First of all, within 3 miles of Turkey Mountain google says there are more than 50 restaurants... and no other Urban Wilderness areas.  Second, if you tear out nature and put in a restaurant people could go to enjoy nature? What the hell are you talking about?

It is clear nothing is worthwhile if it can be developed into retail. Quality of life just means sales tax revenue.

POSSIBILITY OF SALES TAX!  Tear down the Golden Driller! Re-route R66.  Lets level the prayer tower at ORU, taking up too much potential retail space! Parks? Who needs parks! Maybe a nice Golden Corral or even an Olive Garden!

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 08:50:24 am »

Insert every face palm meme on the interwebs here ---> [img]-X  [ /img]
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 10:06:01 am »

What frustrates me is in the vision proposal I presented on behalf of TUWC, I believe I did a good job of outlining how TMUWA works as a tourist destination and will generate sales tax without a cash register anywhere on the property.  This would happen by expanding the boundaries and coming up with programming which would be a huge weekly regional draw and be able to draw sporting events on a national level.  All with minimal ongoing investment from the city.

Let’s face it, our method of explosive retail growth has failed and our current mayor is oblivious to this fact.  All one needs to verify this is to see that in order to shore up shortfalls in public safety, we need special assessments.  In order to properly fund parks, we need special assessments.  In order to properly maintain streets and expand infrastructure to finally catch up to the explosion of retail growth in the last 25 years, we need, get this...special assessments.

Why so many special assessments you ask?  Tulsa’s population does not grow at a rate which can sustain the retail and necessary infrastructure growth.  Every new retail development scavenges sales tax collections from previous developments when your population growth is around 2% or less per year.  The only other way you can grow the tax base is with tourism dollars.

There’s little doubt with 65% of the city’s budget coming from sales tax it turns us into a whore for bad development.  However, a more visionary mayor would get these basic economic concepts and make wiser decisions which would dictate re-developing derelict properties before you start chopping into your recreation spaces which are a considerable draw when we try to recruit people to live in Tulsa.

TUWC's proposal did not make an ask for the property previously considered for development by Simon.  By the time funding from this tax is available, someone would have long since purchased the “Simon” land and developed it with the current commercial zoning so we did not bother to include funding for that parcel.  The thinking has been to acquire that land through private funds to head off development. 

Instead, TUWC asked for funds as part of a public/private partnership to acquire any land possible south of 61st St and to make improvements complimentary to the TMUWA which would improve access and make parts of it more user friendly to everyone.  Along those lines, we put in the proposal funds to put in additional parking, trailheads, a community/visitor center, and some trails easier to navigate by people with mobility issues (so people could enjoy nature who might not otherwise be tempted to go to TM...cough).  This would be done on the 10 acre pad on the NE corner of 61st & Hwy 75 which had already been scraped well in advance of Simon’s interest in the land.

I might be biased but outdoor recreation has the potential to be one of the better tourist draws for Tulsa.  In my research I did discover outdoor recreation is an $8.5 billion/year industry in the state of Oklahoma.  As CF alluded to, without Turkey Mountain, he would not have purchased thousands in mountain bikes.  His family is not alone. 

Turkey Mountain is a very good economic driver from creating demand for outdoor gear, bikes, shoes, etc. to the people who shop and eat in the area before and after exploring all TM has to offer.  This was also carefully pointed out in the presentation to the council and mayor.

There seems to be no qualms with the huge ask from the Gilcrease proposal.  I was at the council meeting where they gave their presentation, it was very impressive and I like it.  But with their funding mechanisms and donor base, I believe they could lower the amount they want from this package so funds could be spread around to more projects.  I do know, based on trail census which was done earlier in the year that Turkey Mountain already outdraws Gilcrease and even with the increase in visitors estimated by Gilcrease, Turkey Mountain would still out-draw it. 

Do millennials care how big the Fredric Remington collection is at Gilcrease?  How big an industry are western art museums?  How much sales tax is collected at Gilcrease?  Of course, you could build a really nice restaurant at Gilcrease and have a majestic view of downtown as well as the surrounding Osage hills.  Wait?  What?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 12:17:47 pm »

Goddamn that guy is mentally retarded
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 01:03:25 pm »

Goddamn that guy is mentally retarded

“The community, the taxpayers, not all are interested in walking through the woods at Turkey Mountain, but they will be very interested in going up to a restaurant or going up to a facility where they could sit and watch, look, experience nature, whatever that might be.

Retardation confirmed.
Hayduke
Citizen

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 01:23:05 pm »

Shouldn't drag people with disabilities into this . . . he's a lazy mayor lacking critical thinking skills, elementary intelligence, or even the ability to surround himself with smart people who do have the capacity to engage in thoughtful public policy/economic analysis.  He is a shining symbol of all that is wrong with this city, all that is wrong with this state.  Thankfully, he is also too dumb to have done any real damage during his term so at least we have that.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 01:35:34 pm »

Shouldn't drag people with disabilities into this . . .

this did not happen.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 01:59:05 pm »

Some may remember that James Watt, Secretary of the Interior under the sainted Ronald Reagan, wanted to improve wilderness areas with hotels and golf courses. This is nothing new, just another attempt to convert unsullied land into money.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2015, 02:03:55 pm »

Dumbest. Mayor. Ever.

Does he really believe that a restaurant could generate enough tax revenue to offset the cost of infrastructure needed to support it? Does he actually believe that Tulsa should destroy a rare urban wilderness for a ...restaurant? Is he trying to be intentionally asinine and obtuse? Or is he that clueless?

We have thousands of restaurants in Tulsa. Hurray for us. We have ONE place like Turkey Mtn.  Dooey is such an idiot, he would destroy it out of...I can't even fathom his motivation.

One good thing: Dooey isn't smart enough to realize that his best reelection plan is silence and name recognition. The more he speaks and demonstrates the inner workings of his brain the better. Maybe then the citizens of Tulsa will awake from their stupor and elect a qualified / sentient leader next year.

TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2015, 02:06:06 pm »

Do millennials care how big the Fredric Remington collection is at Gilcrease?  How big an industry are western art museums?  How much sales tax is collected at Gilcrease?  Of course, you could build a really nice restaurant at Gilcrease and have a majestic view of downtown as well as the surrounding Osage hills.  Wait?  What?

That's another thing I don't understand about his comments! We already have several restaurants in nature around Tulsa such as Gilcrease which has huge windows with great views overlooking Osage Hills. Why don't more people utilize what we have already? Anyone who wants to sit and experience nature can drive there. There are plenty more like Canebrake. There is no way they could do that at Turkey Mountain without destroying what it is.

This is right in line with the retail issues. Creating more restaurants will just take away revenue from existing restaurants at great cost. The developers, banks, construction companies and the mayor all get their cuts. The drain on existing businesses is barely noticed, another restaurant closes and another strip mall goes vacant.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2015, 11:32:13 pm »

http://originaljustturkey.com/Menu.html
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 11:37:44 pm by sgrizzle » Logged
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2015, 11:32:42 pm »

I am willing to bet our cities growth this year and next will be stagnant to negative.  The only reason we grew, and barely at that, the last few years was because of Hispanic population growth and that likely has declined.  Add to that the decline in oil, well I think we are basically at zero to negative population change.  

So yes, adding more retail in town basically steals from other places.  The only exceptions might be retail abutting the suburbs and "destination" retail that can pull in from the larger area.   But, as someone pointed out, Tourism can be a growth industry (A National Art Deco Museum could help with that, though I know I am biased lol).  But, Vision funds for a restaurant that would likely gut this park space, and none for a museum that could finally take great advantage of one of the most positively well known features our city has in the world? ... Hmm.  

Now there are ways I could think of that you could put a destination type restaurant on Turkey Mountain, but...  Is there a visualization or description of what he would like to do?  I could see something that was architecturally incredible, very sculptural and beautiful, or something that almost vanished into the hillside and complimented the landscape.  Something that had creative ways for you to get to it, that wouldn't disrupt the trail systems but could even perhaps enhance it, etc.  Sure, take advantage of a spectacular view while doing other positive things too.  But, if we are just talking a road, a parking lot, and a typical suburban style restaurant... not worth it. Was there any indication of which direction he was proposing?

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2015, 08:44:15 am »

Shouldn't drag people with disabilities into this . . . he's a lazy mayor lacking critical thinking skills, elementary intelligence, or even the ability to surround himself with smart people who do have the capacity to engage in thoughtful public policy/economic analysis.  He is a shining symbol of all that is wrong with this city, all that is wrong with this state.  Thankfully, he is also too dumb to have done any real damage during his term so at least we have that.

This guy didn't barely win. Nor did Brightenstine, Fallin, and Inhofe. That means a lot of the people posting here, (though not likely to admit it) likely voted for them. I watched how badly many around here spoke about Kathy Taylor and I was in the crowd of the Veteran's Day parade that year when Brightensine in military jacket showed up to pimp Dewey. They catcalled her. Bodes badly for the next election.

We elect politicians dumb as hammers and expect them to not see us as nails.

onward...through the fog
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2015, 09:27:57 am »

Let me tell you something.  I'v had a really freaking tough time as of late, lot of work and a lot of projects going on. But there was one bugger of a subject that has been especially tough.  The Downtown Overlay thing.  I put a lot of work into that, met with different property owners, wrote letters, did lots of research, wrote a 3,000 word article for the Frontier, spoke with the media, worked on persuading people on the DCC, etc. etc.  And I sat there and argued for it while very important people, who were against it, that could do me a lot of harm, that  could probably destroy my business and dreams to create a museum, and hurt my abilities to do a lot of other things downtown, sat in that same room listening to me argue against them (though in my mind I really still believe I am trying to do whats best for everyone long term).  

But anyway, I got some stern lecturing to afterwards by some folks. They were not happy.  Not one bit.  But you know what, after that we immediately turned to  some subjects we both do agree on and started working towards that.  

And now add to that, a lot of my friends, some of whom I stuck my neck out with to support via the Downtown Overlay, and have worked with other projects on, have for quite a while now, not seemed to be giving me the time of day.

So here I am, with a lot in common, I would think, with some folk that I have fought for similar causes with over the years, who seem to not give me the time of day. Everyone has some points where they disagree, but these people I always thought of as having the most in common with.  Yet, those who I have fought against, then turn around and are ready to go the extra mile and help me out on projects where we do agree.

What the heck am I supposed to do here?

It kind of pisses me off that, to put it in a crude sense, that my enemies turn out to actually be the ones helping me out more than those who I thought were my friends and who barely take the time to talk to me or work together on the things we agree on.

I am just baffled by all this.

The whole thing has been tough along with the Museum and the Vision thing, some stuff I am working on with the Deco District and another project with the park by my shop, has made me sick to my stomach and stressed out wondering who my friends are and who are not.  I have dreams and things I want done.  And if my "friends" aren't there to support me, and the "devil" is.   I am really starting to wonder about all this.

I want to be someone, I am going to be someone someday.  Not because I want "to be someone" but because I am going to accomplish my dreams.  And I am watching who supports me, who gives me the time of day, and who doesn't.

Maybe some of the answer to your question of why we get the people we do in office and in power is right there.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 09:29:38 am by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2015, 10:21:51 am »

Intelligent programming at Turkey Mountain would include well-publicized food truck events.  I wouldn’t be opposed at all to permanent picnic spots around the top parking lot or on the former Simon property.  There’s plenty of room around the lower parking lot to picnic along with some nice permanent pavilions.

Foot races, bike races, organized hikes, the annual Base Camp event, and national level sporting events (if we expand the boundaries or use our imagination better on the existing properties) all have the potential to bring in far more NEW sales tax than plopping a brick and mortar restaurant atop TM.

Poor Rick Maranon seemed to be having a hard time not chuckling while asking the mayor about this:

http://www.fox23.com/news/news/local/tulsa-mayor-proposes-restaurant-turkey-mountain/npM5y/

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org