A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:51:35 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: White Flag Reopens - And has the best onion rings in Tulsa  (Read 11631 times)
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« on: October 01, 2015, 03:42:32 pm »

From talking to several people downtown, I realized that not everyone is aware that White Flag has reopened.  I would encourage everyone to stop by for a meal and support this restaurant for a few different reasons:

1. The Joe Momma's staff that were displaced when it was destroyed by fire worked really hard to get the White Flag cleaned up and back in business.  They helped develop new menu items and reopened the restaurant in record time.  They are passionate about their work and they care. You should support them.

2. Blake is one of the downtown pioneers who helped lead the downtown renaissance.  He's also the City Councillor who most understands everything that TulsaNow stands for: The importance of reinvigorating the downtown core, good urbanism, creating a walkable, bikable, transit friendly city, belief in civic engagement and a diversity of ideas, etc, etc.) You should support him.

3. The White Flag's onion rings are the best in the city of Tulsa.  You should stop by and eat them.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 04:04:20 pm »

They seem to have their act together this time. No ordering window and food in record time when I went.
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 07:07:42 am »

Great to hear!
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 07:43:47 am »

From talking to several people downtown, I realized that not everyone is aware that White Flag has reopened.  I would encourage everyone to stop by for a meal and support this restaurant for a few different reasons:

1. The Joe Momma's staff that were displaced when it was destroyed by fire worked really hard to get the White Flag cleaned up and back in business.  They helped develop new menu items and reopened the restaurant in record time.  They are passionate about their work and they care. You should support them.

2. Blake is one of the downtown pioneers who helped lead the downtown renaissance.  He's also the City Councillor who most understands everything that TulsaNow stands for: The importance of reinvigorating the downtown core, good urbanism, creating a walkable, bikable, transit friendly city, belief in civic engagement and a diversity of ideas, etc, etc.) You should support him.

3. The White Flag's onion rings are the best in the city of Tulsa.  You should stop by and eat them.

Those are good reasons. I've  been there twice and had good experiences. I like their fried pickles and the wings seem to be the same as Joe Mammas which I like. It's a cool place with a good style and atmosphere. The past issues with the old white flag involved customer service mostly and that seems to have been fixed.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 07:58:56 am »

Lol @ downtown pioneers.....

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 09:51:14 am »

Sounds like they listened to criticism and did something positive about it.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 04:18:28 pm »

Yeah, fair enough.  I pondered that as I was writing it.  Technically, the downtown pioneers were Mexicali, Spaghetti Warehouse, Arnie's, Caz's and eventually McNellies.  (I'm not counting the multitude of places that were only open Mon-Fri and closed at 2:00 PM.)  Back in the day I used to hang out at the Snooty Fox (later the Bowery, Lolas, Brady Tavern, etc.) when it was one of the only establishments open at night downtown (mid 90's).

Joe Mommas opened at a time when you pretty much knew every person who was trying to do something cool downtown.  We all supported these establishments and celebrated each new opening.  You would walk in the door and know half the people in the room.

I still consider Blake one of the pioneers of the big transformation that's occurring now.  Joe Mommas brought a terrific family-oriented place downtown, which was almost non-existent at the time.  When your kids wanted to eat at 4:00 PM before a show at the PAC, where could you go?  It wasn't that long ago that people faced this quandary.  It was a big deal to have a cool pizza joint downtown, and it helped spur the wave of development we're seeing now.  Back then, you had to be brave to open a restaurant downtown, and the establishment was not ready to support it.  That's what I meant by pioneer.

Now the place is crawling with suburbanites, which is success, I suppose.  It's that safe and acceptable to the establishment.  Now, instead of pioneers we have a migration.

But back on topic, go eat the onion rings at White Flag!  They are amazing!
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 12:38:11 pm »

I still think we are in the pioneer stage.  It's not a real downtown just yet. I still get people coming into the shop and museum every day asking "Where are all the people?"  "Whats wrong with your downtown?" "I am staying downtown for business, (or going through on vacation) am looking for this or that kind of store etc. and can't find one?" etc. etc.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 01:02:31 pm »

I live near 15th and Lewis and when I go to that Walgreens in the evening I often see shuttles from Downtown hotels dropping people off and picking them up.  Because there isn't anywhere downtown after business hours to get basic stuff for visitors.  As long as visitors are having to go two miles to find snacks, meds, and groceries, our downtown is still in a pioneering stage.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 09:13:12 pm »

I still think we are in the pioneer stage.  It's not a real downtown just yet. I still get people coming into the shop and museum every day asking "Where are all the people?"  "Whats wrong with your downtown?" "I am staying downtown for business, (or going through on vacation) am looking for this or that kind of store etc. and can't find one?" etc. etc.

Pioneers are the people that take the arrows and die......Settlers come after...Which it what I would consider him....

BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 11:28:47 am »

My wife thought she saw a banner or something on their door about being reopened a few weeks ago.
So I checked out their website.
http://whiteflagtulsa.com/

Figured whatever she saw must have been referring to the "venue" or something who knows what.  Cuz the website has ZERO information about being open, a menu, or anything useful.

What is on the new menu?

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 12:34:56 pm »

My wife thought she saw a banner or something on their door about being reopened a few weeks ago.

Figured whatever she saw must have been referring to the "venue" or something who knows what.  Cuz the website has ZERO information about being open, a menu, or anything useful.

What is on the new menu?

Could be because the operators haven't given the menu, hours, etc to the guy who runs the website. *cough*
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 02:28:53 pm »

What is on the new menu?

Pretty sure burgers and onion rings.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
saintnicster
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2015, 02:30:02 pm »

What is on the new menu?

Looks like it's been a soft-opening, and they're having a grand opening on the 10th.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/scene/restaurants/table-talk-white-flag-restaurant-reopens-in-blue-dome-district/article_5e79ada0-c1d6-5254-8b4e-13277757bcb9.html
White Flag, 116 S. Elgin Ave., a special-event venue for more than a year, has reopened the restaurant side of the business with a new look and a new menu.

The restaurant’s owner, City Councilor Blake Ewing, said part of the reason for reopening is tied to a July fire that destroyed one of his other eateries, Joe Momma’s Pizza.

“We brought the staff from Joe Momma’s over here so they could keep working,” Ewing said Friday morning. “I want to do my best to take care of that crew.

“We hope to get Joe Momma’s reopened in early 2016, and we plan to keep White Flag going as well.”

Ewing said the back banquet room at Joe Momma’s is in good condition and is available for private events.

The new White Flag menu is smaller than the original and is designed for quick lunch service and appealing dinner options at moderate prices.

“We still have burgers and pretty good wing and appetizer offerings,” Ewing said. “We also are doing a lot more specials, something different every day. We have a creative kitchen crew that is coming up with unique daily specials.

“We’ve included some styles of dishes from Joe Momma’s, Back Alley and the original White Flag in the concept. We also will be doing a couple of kinds of pizza, a St. Louis style and a thicker Detroit style cooked in metal pans.”

Back Alley Blues & BBQ preceded White Flag in the same space. White Flag opened in late 2013 and transitioned into a performance venue in August 2014.

The new White Flag menu includes three hamburgers, five sandwiches and a variety of wings, appetizers, soups, salads and desserts.

Diners can go spicy on the burger front with the Salma Hayek, which includes habanero pepper relish, Mexican white cheese, jalapeno candied bacon and Sriracha mayo on a Phoenix Cafe brioche bun, or go earthy with the Kevin, prepared with melted Swiss cheese, sauteed mushrooms and a side of brown brisket gravy on a Phoenix Cafe brioche bun.

Among the sandwiches are a chicken club, turkey spinach artichoke and Italian melt.

Prices on most menu items range from about $4.95 to $9.95.

The new dining room look includes black linen tablecloths covered in white paper.

White Flag has full bar service.

Hours are 11 a.m. to midnight Sunday-Thursday and 11 a.m. to 2 a.m. Friday-Saturday.

“I think White Flag still has a niche in the Blue Dome District,” Ewing said. “A lot of places have gone more upscale around here, and I think it’s good for downtown to have a place to grab a burger, a melted-cheese sandwich or a salad for a reasonable price.”

Ewing said a grand-opening celebration for White Flag is scheduled Oct. 10, the day of the OU-Texas football game.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2015, 03:41:13 pm »

Fat guys blows the doors off this joint.....

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org