A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:59:42 am
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 48   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trump  (Read 242419 times)
rebound
City Father

« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2015, 09:57:33 am »

You mean like a table-full of people playing “Cards Against Humanity”?

Can't tell if that's a serious critique or not.  Comedy (and I put Cards against humanity in that category as a comedic outlet), is often expressed in the absurd or grotesque or just in general by making fun of pretense and conformity.  People need those kind of emotional outlets, because it allows us to vent or at least release those thoughts in a "safe" environment.  But most of us understand the difference between a game, or a really funny (but disgusting) comedian, and real life.  We laugh, even if we know we aren't supposed to, and then we put all that back up in the mental lock-box where it stays most of the time while we go about the business of living in society.  We know the difference.  Unfortunately some of us apparently no longer seem to understand this difference, and those people are the core of Trump's support.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2015, 08:53:31 am »

I won’t vote for him, but I think it’s hilarious to watch him shake up the presidential election process.  Maybe it’s time we re-evaluate why we keep electing people who are overly concerned about correctness and making sure they say everything the focus groups think they should.

I agree with your first statement... but in regards to your second statement.

Trump is doing the exact same thing. He is reading polls on what the right wing of the Republican Party wants to hear and repeating it in one liners. He has no conviction on any of these matters and has readily flip-flopped from his statements in the past (when he was giving money to Democrats). Worse yet, he has no basis for his statements, which are usually demonstrably false, just that he thinks they will be popular. And they are, and his supporters don't care about facts.

Also, the ability to be "concerned with correctness" is also a litmus test for being diplomatic. If you can't avoid making fun of or generalizing Latinos, handicap people, black people and/or Muslims - how would could you possible manage world affairs? Balancing Israel with our Arab "allies." Or supporting our allies against Russia without escalating things? It is terrifying to think of Trump managing a serious situation.

Finally,

I started watching the Man in the High Castle on Amazon Prime over the holiday. Every time I saw the brown shirts I thought of Trump supporters. The correlation is sad.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2015, 09:59:54 am »

Can't tell if that's a serious critique or not.  Comedy (and I put Cards against humanity in that category as a comedic outlet), is often expressed in the absurd or grotesque or just in general by making fun of pretense and conformity.  People need those kind of emotional outlets, because it allows us to vent or at least release those thoughts in a "safe" environment.  But most of us understand the difference between a game, or a really funny (but disgusting) comedian, and real life.  We laugh, even if we know we aren't supposed to, and then we put all that back up in the mental lock-box where it stays most of the time while we go about the business of living in society.  We know the difference.  Unfortunately some of us apparently no longer seem to understand this difference, and those people are the core of Trump's support.

CAH is a scream.  No less than cannon_fodder & Mrs. cannon_fodder introduced MC and I to the game.

When Swake said Trump’s followers were “horrible” I couldn’t resist the urge to insert a CAH reference.  I’m impulsive that way.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2015, 02:25:12 pm »

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/260370-trump-refugees-could-be-trojan-horse-for-isis

Then there is

Instead of accepting Syrian refugees, the U.S. should purchase a "big swath of land" in Syria, which "believe me you get for the right price."
After buying the Syrian land the U.S. should then convert it into a safe haven for refugees...So what I like is... build a big beautiful safe zone"

Didnt the Germans have another name for that?

Yeah...and they got the idea from us...

Osage Reservation
Cherokee Reservation
Apache Reservation
Navajo Reservation
Muskogee Reservation
Crow Reservation
Sioux Reservation...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2015, 03:30:38 pm »

The Art of the Deal:

Trump:  Mr. Assad, we would like to purchase a large tract of land from you. For the right price...

Assad: What is the purpose of this? I don't understand why the US of A is wanting to buy land in Syria?

Trump: Don't you worry, can we buy some land?

Assad: Sure. All the land around Raqqa is for lease.

Trump: Really?

Assad: No you idiot. I don't even control that land. It is full of people even I consider to be vile barbarians. Don't you pay attention to anything?

Trump: Well, how about some of the land you do control?

Assad: Seriously, what do you want the land for?

Trump: Well, I want to locate people there that don't want to fight for you, some others that overtly want to overthrow you, and all that don't really like you very much. I then plan on shielding them with American military might in order to create a perpetual third-tier protectorate to oppose Islamists, Russians, and the Assad regime, basically a defacto puppet state,  smack dab in the middle of the region and on your territory. Cool?

Assad: Absolutely. Write that check to Bashar Assad. That's B-A-S... As soon as it clears, I will totally help you subvert my reign...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 03:32:28 pm by cannon_fodder » Logged

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2015, 01:05:32 pm »

You guys think Trump would carry Oklahoma?
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2015, 02:11:52 pm »

Without a doubt. Last poll he was up on Carson by nearly 10 pts. Everyone else a distant third.

Since then, he has really ramped up his rhetoric about tracking Mooslims, closing mosques, and "punishing" the family members of terrorists. He has also spoken louder about busing immigrants back to Mexico, keeping Mooslim refugees out, and generally trumpeting how us Natives are better than them there immigrants. Finally, he has made fun of the mentally and physically handicapped individuals. All the while having no real plan or policy to do anything.

All in all, probably upped his numbers in Oklahoma.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2015, 02:49:28 pm »

He's going to win in a landslide in Oklahoma.

Now he's working on alienating yet another minority group. Trump speaking to a gathering of Jewish Republicans:
http://www.timesofisrael.com/trump-courts-jewish-republicans-with-offensive-stereotypes/

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2015, 03:31:49 pm »

He's going to win in a landslide in Oklahoma.

Now he's working on alienating yet another minority group. Trump speaking to a gathering of Jewish Republicans:
http://www.timesofisrael.com/trump-courts-jewish-republicans-with-offensive-stereotypes/

I've been saying this and the theory is also gaining traction to some extent.  I think Trump is a Hillary operative to make the Republicans so unelectable in November that she'll win.

I know, probably not the case, but crazier has happened.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2015, 03:34:40 pm »

I've been saying this and the theory is also gaining traction to some extent.  I think Trump is a Hillary operative to make the Republicans so unelectable in November that she'll win.

I know, probably not the case, but crazier has happened.

Someone say “crazier”?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2015, 03:36:50 pm »

Someone say “crazier”?

Actually, this is my favorite picture:

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2015, 03:43:05 pm »

I’m starting to wonder what the voter turn-out would be in an election between Clinton and Trump.  Both have so many detestable qualities, we could see a record low turn-out or someone could have a really great shot as an Ind.  Trump, going Ind. if he doesn’t win the nomination, would hurt the chances of a GOP candidate worse than a Dem, just like Perot.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2015, 03:43:34 pm »

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2015, 09:14:34 am »

Sweet baby Jeebus...

I'm not easily offended, and the things he says don't really offend me, but I certainly recognize them as things wouldn't say in polite company. Let alone things you would say to the people you are trying to win over. The problem is, he apparently doesn't understand that. Even when he is trying to win someone over, he can't help but spew stereotypes.

I also love is constant passive-aggressiveness:
Trump, who previously questioned whether President Barack Obama was born a US citizen, also reiterated insinuations that the president was hiding something, implying that perhaps he is crypto-Muslim.

“Radical Islamic terrorism — we have a president who refuses to use the term,” he complained. “There’s something going on with him that we don’t know about.”

ZOMG!  He's a Muslim! If we would only man up all over ourselves and call ISIS names that would help their recruiting, THEN we would be able to defeat them. But he won't call them names and alienate our allies for no actual reason, because he's a MOOSLIM! Or because he is listening to the advisers on the issue. (but probably because HES A MOOOSLIM!)

Also... we are dropping so many bombs on ISIS that the Airforce has requested additional funds to ramp up munitions production.

Just once, I'd love to hear an actual plan from The Donald. Maybe we should invade Russia in the fall? That usually ends well.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2015, 09:47:26 am »

Sweet baby Jeebus...

I'm not easily offended, and the things he says don't really offend me, but I certainly recognize them as things wouldn't say in polite company. Let alone things you would say to the people you are trying to win over. The problem is, he apparently doesn't understand that. Even when he is trying to win someone over, he can't help but spew stereotypes.

I also love is constant passive-aggressiveness:
ZOMG!  He's a Muslim! If we would only man up all over ourselves and call ISIS names that would help their recruiting, THEN we would be able to defeat them. But he won't call them names and alienate our allies for no actual reason, because he's a MOOSLIM! Or because he is listening to the advisers on the issue. (but probably because HES A MOOOSLIM!)

Also... we are dropping so many bombs on ISIS that the Airforce has requested additional funds to ramp up munitions production.

Just once, I'd love to hear an actual plan from The Donald. Maybe we should invade Russia in the fall? That usually ends well.

It gets better:
@realDonaldTrump
Obama said in his speech that Muslims are our sports heroes. What sport is he talking about, and who? Is Obama profiling?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 48   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org