A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:06:04 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CVS buys Tally's corner??  (Read 19432 times)
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« on: July 30, 2015, 05:08:53 pm »

I just heard this. Everything at the corner of 11th & Yale including Tally's has been purchased by CVS and they are going to level it and put in another freaking pharmacy we don't need. Any truth to this?
rebound
City Father

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 08:27:46 pm »

Man, I hope not.  That should not be allowed to happen.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 08:30:32 am »

We love to get breakfast at Tally’s then cruise the antique mall next door.  We seriously do not need a CVS on that corner. 

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 08:48:22 am »

Wasn't route 66 decorative signage just placed on this intersection?

I thought maybe things were being done to make 11th more of an attraction.

If this is true, it seems like a big step backward.

This would mean buildings up against the street would go away and another CVS with a big parking lot, a la 15th and Harvard, would be built.

You mid-towners really need to get your smile together.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 08:53:01 am »

Golden Drumstick has been gone forever, so yeah, it's probably about time to get rid of the rest of that old stuff cluttering up the area and getting in the way of progress!  And JOBS!!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
rdj
City Father

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 08:53:20 am »

Tally owns the corner across the street and operates the gym and juice bar in that building.

Small churches like WRUMC can always use some cash so if a broker threw a good offer at them it would be hard to see them passing it up.  Maybe the local Rt 66 enthusiasts should become regular tithers, I'm sure they'd accept the money without attending Sunday School, to keep the suburban development at bay.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 08:56:45 am »

If there is enough interest by civic minded people for this kind of thing, form a foundation, get some money, and buy the place.  Operate as a non-profit business ala Newman's Own.  Kind of like a Nature Conservancy for hysterical (historical?) buildings/artifacts.  This could get started for relatively small seed money, I would think.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 09:10:32 am »

Wasn't route 66 decorative signage just placed on this intersection?

I thought maybe things were being done to make 11th more of an attraction.

If this is true, it seems like a big step backward.

That intersection was extensively remodeled with a route 66 theme, and I dont believe there is a route 66 CVS design that will fit the way Tally's does.

CVS bulldozed a very popular restaurant in another community I visit.  It was a building on a corner surrounded by open lots and trees.  They couldnt build on any of the open space, they had to sit where the restaurant was.  Their thinking is not how to blend in, but to overwhelm.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 09:32:40 am »

I'm still not 100% sure if this is even true or not. I sent a message to TW via their Facebook page asking them to look into it. They said they would.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 11:13:13 am »

If there is enough interest by civic minded people for this kind of thing, form a foundation, get some money, and buy the place.  Operate as a non-profit business ala Newman's Own.  Kind of like a Nature Conservancy for hysterical (historical?) buildings/artifacts.  This could get started for relatively small seed money, I would think.

There are organizations that have been established in Tulsa for these sorts of things: https://www.facebook.com/PreserveMidtown
http://preservemidtown.com

I believe the Renaissance Neighborhood Association was originally formed to preserve the Campbell Hotel. Maybe the "Fair Park" neighborhood (11th to 21st Harvard to Yale) needs to pull together the same way to preserve Tally's.

I checked and Group M Investment owns the Campbell Hotel and own a bunch of well-preserved midtown properties. I wonder if they'd be in the market for buying a place like the Tally's building to preserve it and keep that stretch of Route-66 alive.
www.groupminvestment.com
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 11:16:58 am by TulsaGoldenHurriCAN » Logged
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 12:43:19 pm »

If you think Turkey Mountain was bad, the riots in the street will be tenfold if they try to destroy that corner and that restaurant.  If there is any truth, I hope it's the lot across the street where the juice bar is.
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 12:55:52 pm »

If you think Turkey Mountain was bad, the riots in the street will be tenfold if they try to destroy that corner and that restaurant.  If there is any truth, I hope it's the lot across the street where the juice bar is.

Yep.
I'd be there for that.

Hopefully it's just rumors and speculation!
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 01:23:19 pm »

There are organizations that have been established in Tulsa for these sorts of things: https://www.facebook.com/PreserveMidtown
http://preservemidtown.com

I believe the Renaissance Neighborhood Association was originally formed to preserve the Campbell Hotel. Maybe the "Fair Park" neighborhood (11th to 21st Harvard to Yale) needs to pull together the same way to preserve Tally's.

I checked and Group M Investment owns the Campbell Hotel and own a bunch of well-preserved midtown properties. I wonder if they'd be in the market for buying a place like the Tally's building to preserve it and keep that stretch of Route-66 alive.
www.groupminvestment.com

There ya go...it's already in place, just needs to widen the scope a little.

AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 01:35:06 pm »

Someone called Tally's and they said it was a rumor, however, a friend spoke to the owner of the antique mall and he said it was true and he had lost his lease. I don't know what the truth is!
hello
Civic Leader

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 03:07:44 pm »

If this is true I will never shop at CVS again. I'll take my chances of getting shot and go back to shopping at Walgreens.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org