A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:46:02 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Public Tornado Shelters  (Read 11885 times)
Jammie
Civic Leader

« on: April 24, 2015, 06:48:20 pm »

Where are the pet-friendly tornado shelters in Tulsa?

Adopt an older pet. Help them remember what it feels like to be loved.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 08:56:36 am »

Where are the pet-friendly tornado shelters in Tulsa?

Maybe in Dallas....??

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
saintnicster
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 10:54:40 am »

Pretty sure we don't have any public shelters in town
Jammie
Civic Leader

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 04:36:59 pm »

Really? I thought there'd be public shelters to go to for people who don't have basements. Here we use the public safety building and the county courthouse. You don't use buildings like that for that purpose? Where do people go who don't have basements, like people who live in apartments?

Dallas? Too far away and too much traffic.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 06:19:28 pm »

Really? I thought there'd be public shelters to go to for people who don't have basements. Here we use the public safety building and the county courthouse. You don't use buildings like that for that purpose? Where do people go who don't have basements, like people who live in apartments?

Dallas? Too far away and too much traffic.

Yeah...way to far away.

You don't need to answer - what state are you in??  I'm guessing it's got to be either left or right coast or Canada...

They go out into the street to watch the storm.  And while that may sound flippant, it's only about 1/3 flippant - many people do exactly what the cliche says.  I don't exactly storm "chase" but do get out to look around often.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 10:25:18 am »

I use Cellar Dweller as a public shelter  Grin
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 10:42:38 am »

The underground loading dock area at Promenade (back when it was South Land) was a public disater (storm/fall out) shelter. They used to have the black and yellow signs posted at each end.

The old Sears store at 21st and Yale was also a designated shelter.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 10:48:52 am »

The underground loading dock area at Promenade (back when it was South Land) was a public disater (storm/fall out) shelter. They used to have the black and yellow signs posted at each end.

The old Sears store at 21st and Yale was also a designated shelter.

They aren't (weren't?) that interchangeable.   
Tornado shelters are for spending an hour or two, fallout shelters are for spending a month or two.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 11:10:21 am »

They aren't (weren't?) that interchangeable.  
Tornado shelters are for spending an hour or two, fallout shelters are for spending a month or two.

Should have phrased it the way they phrased our duck and cover drills in the late 60's early 70's, "Disaster Drill" and "Disaster Shelter" they were used for both back then. They didn't want to scare us grade schoolers with nuclear bomb and fallout in 1970.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 11:12:05 am by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 11:26:24 am »

They did a similar substitute phraseology in San Francisco when describing "the great fire" instead of "the massive earthquake".

I still remember the instruction to kneel against the wall, pull knees up and clasp hands behind your neck. Like any of it would matter.

How do they do pet friendly shelters anyway?

onward...through the fog
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 01:23:30 pm »

If it hasn't changed any, EC High School has those signs on the lower floor.  I remember them pretty vividly.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Jammie
Civic Leader

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2015, 06:01:38 am »

Sorry. I didn't get a chance to visit the forum for a couple weeks.

We live in South Dakota so we're familiar with tornadoes, although your tornado season starts much earlier since your spring starts much earlier. Your tornadoes are generally higher on the scale then ours, too, although it's not unheard of for us to have an EF-4 or EF-5 here. We're not terrified of tornadoes, but do have a healthy respect of them, but I can relate to standing outside and looking around when the tornado sirens are blowing.

So do people use the fallout shelters as tornado shelters or doesn't anyone go there?

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2015, 11:13:45 am »

Sorry. I didn't get a chance to visit the forum for a couple weeks.

We live in South Dakota so we're familiar with tornadoes, although your tornado season starts much earlier since your spring starts much earlier. Your tornadoes are generally higher on the scale then ours, too, although it's not unheard of for us to have an EF-4 or EF-5 here. We're not terrified of tornadoes, but do have a healthy respect of them, but I can relate to standing outside and looking around when the tornado sirens are blowing.

So do people use the fallout shelters as tornado shelters or doesn't anyone go there?

I can remember long ago when it wasnt uncommon for people to ride out the storm in their bathtub, but there has been a lot of re-examination since the 1999 outbreak around Moore broke the Fujita scale.

Things that worked as shelters in the past, like walk-in coolers and school hallways, dont now, and the debate is on as to whether to shelter in place or flee.  If the funnel is 2.6 miles wide, you could be trapped in a traffic jam, but if you are in a mobile home, you need to explore other options fast.

Im appalled at some of the things being passed off as "safe rooms," like a school that recently showed off it's newly constructed one...with a wall dotted with outside windows...then there was the OKC woman who drowned in a converted well-house after she chained the door shut.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2015, 11:24:46 am »

Slightly off topic, here is a map of every Moore tornado since 1998.

https://stormgasmcom.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/tornadoes-damage-paths-moore-ok-1998-1999-2003-2010-2013-2015-map-preliminary-2015-path-legend.jpg
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2015, 07:49:52 pm »

2015...felt like standing in a sandblaster in the debris cloud.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org