A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:19:12 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Left on yellow  (Read 9523 times)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« on: March 25, 2015, 07:22:05 pm »

Maybe other cities have this issue, but I've noticed that Tulsa seems to have collectively developed the mentality that when the light turns yellow, 1-3 cars are supposed to make a left turn. I've almost been hit a few times as the intersection isn't even clear yet when they head into the intersection. Anyone else notice this? The real danger is that at the end of a light cycle, traffic going straight is generally people already in motion, whereas left turners are generally taking off from a stop.

I'm wondering if a proposal could be made that the left turn lanes turn red in advance of the straight-through lanes.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 08:59:59 pm »

Used to be I’d see a red light runner once a week or so.

Now I just expect to see it at every stop light or every other.  Our enforcement sucks.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 09:22:42 pm »

Since it is legal for the first car to pull into the intersection on a green to wait to turn left, it is also legal for that car to "run" the red light and turn left to clear the intersection.

Making the left turn light turn red sooner wouldn't help unless we make it illegal for one to pull into the intersection to wait for a break in traffic.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 09:24:31 pm by ZYX » Logged
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 10:05:20 pm »

Since it is legal for the first car to pull into the intersection on a green to wait to turn left, it is also legal for that car to "run" the red light and turn left to clear the intersection.

Making the left turn light turn red sooner wouldn't help unless we make it illegal for one to pull into the intersection to wait for a break in traffic.

As far as I'm aware, it is not legal to enter an intersection if you can't clear it.
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 10:24:28 pm »

Unless the law has changed, I remember explicitly being told my my driver's ed instructor and reading in the manual that the first car can legally pull into the intersection. I believe all other cars have to be behind the white line, however.

FWIW, I regularly do this, and have done it in front of police officers and not been pulled over. If I'm wrong, I'd love for someone to correct me if they can find the official wording. I've always been under the impression that this was legal.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 10:05:41 am »

Maybe it has changed, but about a decade ago I was ticketed at Sheridan and 244 for doing just that. The cop had no sympathy that I was the only car that made it through the light. If you can't pass through you must no enter the intersection.

However, now I spend much time driving through the city with my job. Many of the lights do turn red and have a several second lapse before the green lights activate from the other lanes. In effect, for a few seconds traffic is stopped in all four directions.

The result is that multiple cars are now running those reds.

onward...through the fog
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 12:01:46 pm »

The handbook (http://www.dps.state.ok.us/dls/pub/ODM.pdf) doesn't really cover it
TeeDub
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 12:43:24 pm »

It sure looks legal to me...   

http://www.cityoftulsa.org/media/17866/Title37_000.pdf

606(a)

Vehicular traffic facing the green signal shall proceed right, left or straight through, unless a sign at such place prohibits any such movements; provided that the right-of-way shall be yielded to other vehicles or pedestrians lawfully in the intersection or signalized location, and a vehicle which enters on a green signal may complete such movement with safety even after the yellow or red signals appear.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 02:31:01 pm »

It sure looks legal to me...   

http://www.cityoftulsa.org/media/17866/Title37_000.pdf

606(a)

Vehicular traffic facing the green signal shall proceed right, left or straight through, unless a sign at such place prohibits any such movements; provided that the right-of-way shall be yielded to other vehicles or pedestrians lawfully in the intersection or signalized location, and a vehicle which enters on a green signal may complete such movement with safety even after the yellow or red signals appear.

Cool, so show this to the cop then tell him to cram it.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 03:35:58 pm »

I wish I could find him but he's likely retired!

onward...through the fog
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 05:39:33 pm »

So it seems legal, but I still think it's courting disaster and encouraging red-light running. Thoughts?
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 06:43:58 pm »

So it seems legal, but I still think it's courting disaster and encouraging red-light running. Thoughts?

Idiot short left turn arrows encourage red-light running as much as anything, especially after waiting at some of Tulsa's long lights.  Long lights can be beneficial by reducing the number of start/stop cycles.

Getting drivers to start moving before the car in front of them clears the intersection would get more cars through a signal cycle. 

My sister was taught in Driver's Ed to wait 5 seconds after the car in front of her starts moving before she starts.  Seems excessive to me since normal following is 2 to 3 seconds.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 08:51:00 pm »

Maybe it has changed, but about a decade ago I was ticketed at Sheridan and 244 for doing just that. The cop had no sympathy that I was the only car that made it through the light.

Being paid overtime to sit in court when a citizen contests a bad ticket doesnt do much to discourage bad tickets.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
tgra
Citizen

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 07:33:08 pm »

People need to take public safety seriously & stop being so damn greedy & selfish.

Look at these statistics. Tulsa is on this list twice!

According to State Farm Insurance Company, the top 10 most dangerous traffic intersections in the United States are:
10. Sacramento, California. Fair Oaks Boulevard and Howe Avenue.
9. Metairie, Lousiana. Clearview Parkway and Veterans Memorial Boulevard.
8. Plano, Texas. State Highway 121 and Preston Road.
7. Phoenix, Arizona. 19th Avenue and Northern Avenue.
6. Tulsa, Oklahoma. 71st Street and Memorial Drive.
5. Tulsa, Oklahoma. 51st Street and Memorial Drive.

4. Phoenix, Arizona. 7th Street and Bell Road.
3. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Grand Avenue and Roosevelt Boulevard.
2. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Red Lion Road and Roosevelt Boulevard.
1. Pembroke Pines, Florida. Flamingo Road and Pines Boulevard.

Embarrassed   Angry
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 08:04:19 pm »

People need to take public safety seriously & stop being so damn greedy & selfish.

Look at these statistics. Tulsa is on this list twice!

According to State Farm Insurance Company, the top 10 most dangerous traffic intersections in the United States are:
10. Sacramento, California. Fair Oaks Boulevard and Howe Avenue.
9. Metairie, Lousiana. Clearview Parkway and Veterans Memorial Boulevard.
8. Plano, Texas. State Highway 121 and Preston Road.
7. Phoenix, Arizona. 19th Avenue and Northern Avenue.
6. Tulsa, Oklahoma. 71st Street and Memorial Drive.
5. Tulsa, Oklahoma. 51st Street and Memorial Drive.

4. Phoenix, Arizona. 7th Street and Bell Road.
3. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Grand Avenue and Roosevelt Boulevard.
2. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Red Lion Road and Roosevelt Boulevard.
1. Pembroke Pines, Florida. Flamingo Road and Pines Boulevard.

Embarrassed   Angry

They actually changed the light cycle at 71st and memorial so you can't really turn left on yellow/red without getting hit.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org