A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:46:01 am
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 15th and Carson  (Read 18437 times)
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« on: January 22, 2015, 08:03:40 am »

Anyone know what is proposed for this empty lot? The owner is looking for code variance

21812—Matt King - Variance to reduce the required side yard setback from 10 feet to 0 feet; Variance to reduce the setback from the centerline of 15th Street from 70 feet to 40 feet; Variance to increase the building height from 35 feet to 40 feet (Section 403.A, Table 1).  LOCATION:  1445 South Carson Avenue (CD 4) Exhibit

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 09:49:31 am »

I always cringe when I see anything that says: “variance”, seems to mean a Bumgarner monstrosity.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
rdj
City Father

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 11:42:06 am »

Yes.  They are looking to build something like what is already in the area but the setbacks don't currently allow it.  From what I've seen I think its a good project.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 12:09:50 pm »

Were there apartments there at one time?  I ask because of the multiple staircases to 15th so close together.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 12:33:38 pm »

I always cringe when I see anything that says: “variance”, seems to mean a Bumgarner monstrosity.

It's when they don't ask for a "variance" that I cringe.  Remember most of Tulsa, even the historic older parts of town, is set up so that you have to build auto oriented, away from the sidewalk, lots of parking, no mixed use, etc. stuff.  The only way to get anything otherwise is to ask for a variance.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 12:34:48 pm »

Yes.  They are looking to build something like what is already in the area but the setbacks don't currently allow it.  From what I've seen I think its a good project.

I don't mind some Brownstone type MF dwellings on this spot, as long as they are appropriate to the feel of the block and not in contest with it. Every other structure on Carson is a historically contributing Craftsman single family dwelling or a brick apartment building.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 12:36:34 pm »

Were there apartments there at one time?  I ask because of the multiple staircases to 15th so close together.

based on the tiny little garage foot print I think it was a house with a front (Carson) and side (15th) entrance, but I don't know for sure.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 01:56:13 pm »

I don't mind some Brownstone type MF dwellings on this spot, as long as they are appropriate to the feel of the block and not in contest with it. Every other structure on Carson is a historically contributing Craftsman single family dwelling or a brick apartment building.

How about some Tuscan stucco, Carlton?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 02:01:43 pm »

It was a house with a detached garage.

Here is a link to the larger file.
http://cdm15020.contentdm.oclc.org/utils/getfile/collection/p16063coll3/id/28/filename/29.pdf

« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 02:09:27 pm by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 02:15:08 pm »

How about some Tuscan stucco, Carlton?

There is a stucco house on this street, but none with ceramic tile roof. I guess I wouldn't really care as long as its not ultra modern (which I like, but just not stuck up against a classic craftsman).
rdj
City Father

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 03:29:26 pm »

My perception is the folks behind the project are very sensitive to the neighborhood and will likely visit with the HOA to garner support rather than have them find out at the hearing.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 05:01:14 pm »

I used to really hate the idea of someone building something in an area with that styrofoam/stucco stuff on the outside.  But then when I started imagining say taking out a loan and building something myself... I changed my opinion.  You can always upgrade the outside later, if the building itself is just the same on the inside as it would be if you did brick or stone to begin with.  I think a development would do better if I had for example 3 storefronts with a "fake" exterior than 1 storefront with a brick or stone exterior. If I started out having more spaces cheaply done, I think the over all development would be more successful than if I had fewer spaces "expensively" done.  If you have an over all dream that you want to build and grow, that you want to expand and make better as time goes on, you could always tear down the cheap stuff and build something bigger and better later, or upgrade the facades later.  But sometimes you need a critical mass to get things really moving or to make those first risky steps work out economically. Sure if you have a bigger budget and can go whole hog right off, great will make more economic sense long term. But if your on a budget, sometimes you have to make tough decisions on how best to get from point A to B.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 03:13:02 pm »

Artist renderings

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 08:41:10 pm »

Is that the same project or two separate ones?  I like the top image better.

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2015, 07:26:08 am »

Two different designs for the same project.

Agreed, the top one is much better and suits the neighborhood of craftsman homes
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org