A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:00:53 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LED Billboard pretending to be LED Sign  (Read 3453 times)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« on: December 15, 2014, 08:23:00 pm »

As I understand it, billboards and business signs (and their digital counterparts) have different regulations. Billboard regulations are more prescriptive about content, lighting, location, etc.

What I have noticed is that an LED sign East of 71st and Sheridan is being used as a billboard. Instead of just advertising the businesses for the building it serves, it is also saying "Get a sign like this, call tom at 405-xxx-xxxx" and "Advertise on signs, call 405-xxx-xxxx"

What is the defining factor and how can one prove a bait-and-switch.
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 11:01:27 pm »

As I understand it, billboards and business signs (and their digital counterparts) have different regulations. Billboard regulations are more prescriptive about content, lighting, location, etc.

What I have noticed is that an LED sign East of 71st and Sheridan is being used as a billboard. Instead of just advertising the businesses for the building it serves, it is also saying "Get a sign like this, call tom at 405-xxx-xxxx" and "Advertise on signs, call 405-xxx-xxxx"

Is this a new development or business? or just a grumble session?
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 02:08:53 pm »

copied from
http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/index.php?topic=13198.msg232493#msg232493

Wisdom Center, Sonic, etc, fall under the category of on-site "Business Signs"
as opposed to "Outdoor Advertising Signs" like Lamar, Whistler. Stokely...

Go to Neighborhood Inspections at
http://www.cityoftulsa.org/reporting/advertising-sign-violations.aspx

You will have to specifically cite which (and any other applicable) section(s) when you report the violation to Neighborhood Inspections or MAC, otherwise, they wont understand your complaint.
I dont mean for that to sound snobby, but in the past I have had inspectors dispose of complaints because they didn't understand that the complaint was about illegal operation (and not about having a construction permit).

Ordinances that apply to Billboards ("Outdoor Advertising Signs") and "Outdoor Business Signs" (located on the property of the business) are Zoning Code of the City of Tulsa, Title 42 section 1221.   
http://www.incog.org/city%20of%20tulsa%20zoning%20code/Internet%20Zoning%20Code-all%20one%20document.pdf

Section "C" is for on-premise "Business Signs"
while Section "F" is for billboards.

On-site "Business Signs":

C. General Use Conditions for Business Signs
2. Flashing signs, digital signs, changeable copy signs, running light or twinkle signs, animated signs, revolving or rotating signs or signs with movement shall be subject to the following limitations.
f. No such digital sign shall display an illuminative brightness of such intensity or brilliance that it impairs the vision or endangers the safety and welfare of any pedestrian, cyclist, or person operating a motor vehicle.
g. No such digital sign shall resemble or simulate any warning or danger signal, or any official traffic control device, sign, signal or light.

If you find out it's an electronic billboard not on the business owner's property ("Outdoor Advertising Sign") the following would apply:

G. Additional Use Conditions for Digital Outdoor Advertising Signs. In addition to the use conditions prescribed for outdoor advertising signs in subsection 1221.F., digital outdoor advertising signs shall also comply with the following use conditions:
1. Digital outdoor advertising signs shall only display a static message or messages.
2. Digital outdoor advertising signs which display more than one static message shall do so sequentially, with each static message having a dwell time of no less than eight ( 8 ) seconds and a transition time between static messages of no more than one (1) second.
3. Digital outdoor advertising signs shall not display an illuminative brightness exceeding five hundred (500) NITs at any time between one half (1/2) hour after sunset until one half (1/2) hour before sunrise or six thousand five hundred (6,500) NITs between one-half (1/2) hour before sunrise until one-half (1/2) hour after sunset.
4. Use conditions establishing the minimum dwell time and maximum illuminative brightness levels for digital outdoor advertising signs codified in subsection 1221.G. shall be subject to future modification and regulation in the exercise of the City's police powers and no vested right shall ever be created in these use conditions.
5. Digital outdoor advertising signs shall not display an illuminative brightness of such intensity or brilliance that they impair the vision or endanger the safety and welfare of any pedestrian, cyclist, or person operating a motor vehicle.
6. Digital outdoor advertising signs shall not resemble or simulate any warning or danger signal, or any official traffic control devise, sign, signal or light.
7. Digital outdoor advertising signs shall not be permited to operate unless they are equipped with:
a. a default mechanism that shall freeze the sign in one position or static message if a malfunction occurs; and
b. notwithstanding paragraph 1221.G.3., a mechanism able to automatically adjust the display's illuminative brightness according to natural ambient light conditions by means of a light detector/photo cell by which the sign's brightness shall be dimmed.

The biggest complaint is that fast strobing of LED signs can be confused for emergency vehicles' LED lights, however, I recommend you download and read all of the signs section as it may include other violations you may have overlooked. 

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 07:32:13 pm »

Is this a new development or business? or just a grumble session?

New sign at existing business.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 10:10:46 pm »

The biggest complaint is that fast strobing of LED signs can be confused for emergency vehicles' LED lights, however, I recommend you download and read all of the signs section as it may include other violations you may have overlooked. 

Some of them are so bright at night that I cannot see anything but a bright light.  Totally ineffective to get a message across.  S-T-U-P-I-D_!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org