A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:16:32 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: “I can’t breathe!”  (Read 50758 times)
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« on: December 05, 2014, 07:38:04 pm »

Police emissary Lori Fullbright explains chokeholds:

TULSA, OK -- Since the video surfaced of the scuffle between an OHP trooper and a paramedic, many have wondered if it was appropriate for Trooper Martin to grab the throat of EMT Maurice White.  Every law enforcement agency has its own policy for using force.

Oklahoma's training agency, CLEET, teaches one neck move for subduing a suspect.  There is a second one, but it can kill someone, so it is only to be used when officers are fighting for their lives.

The power of the neck restraint is that it can render a suspect unconscious in 7-10 seconds.  That is especially effective if the struggle is on the ground and it could give an officer time to get a suspect handcuffed before he or she wakes up.

Self defense experts say the move has been tested over centuries in various martial arts and should not permanently injure the suspect. "If the subject is hitting a law enforcement professional, it is the go to move," said CLEET instructor Billy McKelvey.

Billy McKelvey, now with the Tulsa County Sheriff's Office, taught self defense tactics for the state law enforcement training agency, CLEET, for five years.  He says the other neck move is the bar choke hold, where the forearm is at a 90 degree angle across the throat and is something else altogether.  It cuts off oxygen from the heart to the brain and can cause death.

That particular hold can crush the larynx.

The neck restraint is all about restricting blood flow from the brain down, not from the heart to the brain and is about pressure on the veins, not the larynx.
http://www.news9.com/Global/story.asp?S=10536777

So yes, that appears to be CLEET training Oklahoma police to use a chokehold they admit "can cause death", but only if they are in fear for their lives.

MOORE, Okla. — “I can’t breathe!”

Those anguished words from Luis Rodriguez can be heard near the start of cellphone video his wife made as his cheek was mashed to the pavement of the Warren Theatre parking lot.

Rodriguez had been pepper-sprayed and was being handcuffed, an effort that included five law enforcement officer, two sets of handcuffs and several minutes.

Once cuffed, the 6-foot, 225-pound man was propped up into a seated position. He was unconscious. Paramedics later noticed he had stopped breathing and took him to Moore Medical Center.

He died a short time later.

Details of the events leading to Rodriguez’s death early Feb. 15 were revealed in a police report obtained by The Oklahoman.

The names of the officers involved also were made public. They are Sgt. Brian Clarkston, officer Ryan Minard and officer Joseph Bradley, who are employed by the Moore Police Department, and game wardens Tyler Howser and Chad Strang. The game wardens and Clarkston were working security for the theater at the time of the incident.

The six-minute cellphone video recorded by Rodriguez’s wife, Nair, was made public Tuesday through the family’s attorney, Michael Brooks-Jimenez. The video starts with Luis Rodriguez already face-down in the parking lot. In it, viewers hear the panic in his wife’s voice because her husband isn’t moving.

Brooks-Jimenez said he was surprised by the lack of urgency shown by the officers and paramedics in giving medical attention to Rodriguez, 44. Rodriguez, an electrician and church volunteer, doesn’t appear to struggle throughout the video.

Brooks-Jimenez said he intends to file a lawsuit against the Moore Police Department and the Warren Theatre once he is able to see the autopsy results and medical records.

He also is trying to get a copy of the theater’s surveillance video, but so far, neither the theater nor police have made it available.

The officers first made contact with the family about 1 a.m. after a woman reported seeing a domestic assault in the theater parking lot. Nair Rodriguez says she slapped her daughter, 19-year-old Luinahi, during an argument, but the officers didn’t know who hit whom initially.

Nair Rodriguez was attempting to leave the theater, where they had been watching the movie “RoboCop,” and had started her vehicle with a remote starter. While one officer ran after her, the others focused on Luis Rodriguez.

According to a search warrant filed in Cleveland County District Court, the officers asked Rodriguez for his ID, and he refused. He told them it was a family matter and none of their business.

Officer Minard attempted to take Rodriguez to the ground using "a police maneuver". Once the officer grabbed his arm, Rodriguez swung him to the ground, the report states. That’s when the other officers stepped in.

http://newsok.com/more-details-emerge-in-warren-theatre-death/article/3938148

The Oklahoma State Medical Examiner said Wednesday that the death of Luis Rodriguez was ruled a homicide.

MOORE — A moviegoer died in February because physical restraint by police brought on a heart condition know as cardiac arrhythmia, the state medical examiner reported Wednesday.
The Feb. 15 death of Luis Rodriguez, 44, was ruled a homicide due to the physical struggle and police restraint associated.

http://newsok.com/police-action-led-to-mans-heart-arrhythmia-in-theater-scuffle-oklahoma-medical-examiner-says/article/3949582

http://kfor.com/2014/02/25/graphic-raw-video-of-arrest-released-after-man-dies-in-moore-police-custody/
http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/26/justice/oklahoma-arrest-death-video/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/20/police-luis-rodriguez-death-oklahoma_n_5516937.html

Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 08:56:35 pm »

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 10:11:09 pm »

And that number is?

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 10:36:28 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_killings_by_law_enforcement_officers_in_the_United_States

Power is nothing till you use it.
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 11:21:49 pm »

And that number is?

According to the FBI's Uniform Crime Report, in 2013 there were 461 "justifiable homicides" by police — defined as "the killing of a felon by a law enforcement officer in the line of duty." In all but three of these reported killings, officers used firearms.
The true number of fatal police shootings is surely much higher, however, because many law enforcement agencies do not report to the FBI database. Attempts by journalists to compile more complete data by collating local news reports have resulted in estimates as high as 1,000 police killings a year.

http://www.columbian.com/news/2014/dec/05/what-americas-police-agencies-dont-want/

More than 550 law-enforcement killings were not included in FBI statistics between 2007 and 2012, according to an analysis by the Wall Street Journal, which concluded it is nearly impossible to tally how many people are killed by police officers in any given year.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/report-hundreds-of-police-killings-not-reported-to-fbi/
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 09:22:45 pm »

Borrowing from another topic

Union.....It's that simple.....

The FOP unions have much more influence -- and sometimes outright control -- of the nations law enforcement system than we care to admit.
How intertwined are the unions in day-to-day police operations?

Last month an NYPD Officer mistakenly shot a man for doing nothing more than opening his door at the wrong time,  what is the first call he made?

Did he call an ambulance for the dying man?  No.
Did he call another officer that might have medical skills?  No.

The first call he made was to his union rep.
As the victim was literally breathing his last breath, the cop that shot him was texting the union lawyers.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/brooklyn/exclusive-texted-union-rep-akai-gurley-lay-dying-article-1.2034219

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 08:49:52 pm »

Chicago is gonna have to hurry up to catch up - they have only gotten 384 for the year so far!!

They had 421 last year!!   Slackers....

And 509 in 2012!! 

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 07:49:50 pm »

Chicago is gonna have to hurry up to catch up - they have only gotten 384 for the year so far!!

They had 421 last year!!   Slackers....

And 509 in 2012!! 

A San Jose police officer has been placed on administrative leave after he posted, and later deleted, two threatening messages on Twitter directed at protesters participating in recent demonstrations against police brutality.

On Saturday, Officer Phillip White tweeted, “By the way if anyone feels they can’t breathe or their lives matter I’ll be at the movies tonight, off duty, carrying my gun.”

White also tweeted that he would use his “God given and law appointed right and duty to kill” anyone who threatens his family. He ended the message with the hashtag #CopsLivesMatter.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/davidmack/san-jose-police-officer-reviewed-for-twitter-threat
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 02:00:09 pm »

A San Jose police officer has been placed on administrative leave after he posted, and later deleted, two threatening messages on Twitter directed at protesters participating in recent demonstrations against police brutality.

On Saturday, Officer Phillip White tweeted, “By the way if anyone feels they can’t breathe or their lives matter I’ll be at the movies tonight, off duty, carrying my gun.”

White also tweeted that he would use his “God given and law appointed right and duty to kill” anyone who threatens his family. He ended the message with the hashtag #CopsLivesMatter.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/davidmack/san-jose-police-officer-reviewed-for-twitter-threat

It goes to the same problem we have as a nation overall.  Too much extremism on both sides - and both sides can take plenty of blame in this situation!  The one thing it is NOT is "only" one side!

The cops won't do anything about their side of the problem (siege mentality) - you don't hear a lot about police abuse in areas like Maple Ridge or Highland Park (Dallas),  The worst areas of police abuse are also typically the worst areas of blight/gangs/etc and the society around the cesspools won't/can't do anything on their side of the problem.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 06:19:02 pm »

A FOX News station in Baltimore was caught manipulating a story to make it appear that anti-police brutality demonstrators were chanting "kill a cop" when in fact they'd cut the final line.

The aired version:

We won't stop
We can't stop
Kill a cop

The full version from another video of the same event:

We won't stop
We can't stop
'Til killer cops
Are in cell blocks

PINAC has links to both videos on this page:

http://photographyisnotacrime.com/2014/12/baltimore-news-station-caught-manipulating-video-paint-protesters-cop-killers/

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 06:22:00 pm »

Perhaps it was manipulated.  I guess this could be manipulated as well...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj4ARsxrZh8[/youtube]

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2014, 06:32:01 pm »

If Ed can post a report covered by Gawler and TPM, I guess this source is credible.

twitchy.com/2014/12/20/can-they-breathe-execution-style-killing-of-two-nypd-officers-celebrated-salute-the-shooter/

Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2014, 08:07:28 pm »

A FOX News station in Baltimore was caught manipulating a story to make it appear that anti-police brutality demonstrators were chanting "kill a cop" when in fact they'd cut the final line.

“We’ve had four months of propaganda, starting with the president, that everybody should hate the police,” former Mayor Giuliani said on Fox News. “I don’t care how you want to describe it, that’s what those protests are all about.”

No, no, no. The demonstrations sparked by the exoneration of the officers who killed Brown and Garner were pro-accountability, not anti-police.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/eugene-robinson-protesters-arent-to-blame-for-nypd-officers-execution/2014/12/22/e758395a-8a16-11e4-a085-34e9b9f09a58_story.html

The tension between City Hall and the police union predates de Blasio by at least two decades. As former New York Times reporter David Firestone has noted, Union boss Lynch and the PBA attacked Mayor de Blasio’s three predecessors almost as vociferously. It may have seemed extraordinary when, earlier this month, the union began asking officers to sign a letter requesting that de Blasio not attend their funerals in the event they are killed in the line of duty. The union, though, tried a similar move in 1997, during Giuliani’s tenure.
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2014/12/nypd_killings_new_york_city_s_largest_police_union_thinks_it_s_under_attack.html

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2014, 10:16:34 pm »

There is a difference between supporting police officers and supporting the police union. The union uses strong arm and over the top statements to the press to bully politicians, especially Mayors. It is easy to believe the union has failed to get along with any of the previous three Mayors in New York.

The Tulsa FOP has not endorsed a single incumbent Mayor in my lifetime. None of them were good enough, ever. They don't get everything they want so they financially backed the challenger, always. Even when they get take home vehicles and a bigger pay raise than all other city workers (under Bill LaFortune) they still backed Randi Miller in the primary and Kathy Taylor in the general election.

I think the New York police union was out of line for making the statement that the killing of the two officers was in any way a blame on the Mayor. Just because de Blasio made a few statements about an officer killing a black man. He said it was troubling, and anyone who isn't drinking the "cops are always right" would agree. 

It is estimated that there are 1.1 million state and local police officers currently employed in the United States. To blindly say they all are perfect is as foolish a statement as possible.

Power is nothing till you use it.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2014, 10:35:59 pm »

There is a difference between supporting police officers and supporting the police union. The union uses strong arm and over the top statements to the press to bully politicians, especially Mayors.

Sounds like teachers unions, too. Not sure what the Tulsa FOP has to do with two assassinated police officers in New York.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org