A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:34:56 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We're #1 Again (in another unscientific and meaningless study)  (Read 7010 times)
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« on: September 11, 2014, 02:45:34 pm »

http://www.mylife.com/blog/the-10-most-dangerous-cities-in-america/

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 05:18:02 pm »

When I consider the most crime-laden and dangerous cities in America, Tulsa is tops on my list.  Roll Eyes

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 06:08:27 pm »

I know I would feel a lot safer in city #176.

Well, maybe not.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 07:10:28 pm »

The sex offenders per capita of the California cities were sure high. Damn perverts.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 07:56:16 pm »

From the FBI's "Crime in the United States 2012"

"Each year when Crime in the United States is published, many entities—news media, tourism agencies, and other groups with an interest in crime in our nation—use reported figures to compile rankings of cities and counties.  These rankings, however, are merely a quick choice made by the data user; they provide no insight into the many variables that mold the crime in a particular town, city, county, state, region, or other jurisdiction. Consequently, these rankings lead to simplistic and/or incomplete analyses that often create misleading perceptions adversely affecting cities and counties, along with their residents." (emphasis added)

This page cautions that there are many variables that should be considered and that focusing on only a few may offer an incomplete or skewed picture of criminality and public attitudes toward it.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2012/crime-in-the-u.s.-2012/caution-against-ranking

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 08:03:22 pm »

I know I would feel a lot safer in city #176.

They do have twice the police per capita... so it must be safer
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 08:39:13 pm »

They do have twice the police per capita... so it must be safer

The key is, as has been shown for years - personal ownership of firearms and a culture of people defending themselves instead of being 'victims'.

Haven't looked in detail at that list, but if you take out about a dozen of our largest cities, crime rates by any measure, are vastly decreased - showing just how much "loading" of the averages occurs with really extreme bad numbers.  Places like Washington, Chicago, New Orleans, Detroit, Flint, St Louis, Oakland,....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 12:06:48 am »

"Each year when Crime in the United States is published, many entities—news media, tourism agencies, and other groups with an interest in crime in our nation—use reported figures to compile rankings of cities and counties.  These rankings, however, are merely a quick choice made by the data user; they provide no insight into the many variables that mold the crime in a particular town, city, county, state, region, or other jurisdiction. Consequently, these rankings lead to simplistic and/or incomplete analyses that often create misleading perceptions adversely affecting cities and counties, along with their residents." (emphasis added)

This page cautions that there are many variables that should be considered and that focusing on only a few may offer an incomplete or skewed picture of criminality and public attitudes toward it.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2012/crime-in-the-u.s.-2012/caution-against-ranking
Good find

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 07:01:03 am »

"Each year when Crime in the United States is published, many entities—news media, tourism agencies, and other groups with an interest in crime in our nation—use reported figures to compile rankings of cities and counties.  These rankings, however, are merely a quick choice made by the data user; they provide no insight into the many variables that mold the crime in a particular town, city, county, state, region, or other jurisdiction. Consequently, these rankings lead to simplistic and/or incomplete analyses that often create misleading perceptions adversely affecting cities and counties, along with their residents." (emphasis added)

Regardless, we still have some of the highest homicide and suicide rates in the US.

Was interesting when I was in London some of the crew with me were also from Tulsa.  Apparently such a "big city" seemed a scary to them and they mentioned being worried.  My guess was that it was probably safer in London than in Tulsa.  Looked up some stats, and that was true. Don't remember everything off the top of my head but do remember that in order for London to have about the same homicide rates per capita as Tulsa they would have about 1,000 murders per year.  Can you imagine 1,000 murders per year in London, or any city?  But thats essentially the city we have here.

One city I was looking at in the EU for it's population of about 3 million it had around 8-10 homicides per year.  Tulsa per it's population of about 400,000 has around 60-70.  

Another interesting note is our really high suicide rates and some of the socio cultural differences.  For instance, blacks will tend to use guns to kill others, whites will tend to use guns to kill themselves. The number of "self murders" in south Tulsa is higher than the city wide homicide rate.  I wonder why they don't report suicides on the news as urgently as they report other types of murder/homicide? It seems to be just as much a societal problem that needs to be addressed as other types of homicides.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 07:03:48 am by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 08:04:14 am »

Regardless, we still have some of the highest homicide and suicide rates in the US.

Was interesting when I was in London some of the crew with me were also from Tulsa.  Apparently such a "big city" seemed a scary to them and they mentioned being worried.  My guess was that it was probably safer in London than in Tulsa.  Looked up some stats, and that was true. Don't remember everything off the top of my head but do remember that in order for London to have about the same homicide rates per capita as Tulsa they would have about 1,000 murders per year.  Can you imagine 1,000 murders per year in London, or any city?  But thats essentially the city we have here.

One city I was looking at in the EU for it's population of about 3 million it had around 8-10 homicides per year.  Tulsa per it's population of about 400,000 has around 60-70.  

Another interesting note is our really high suicide rates and some of the socio cultural differences.  For instance, blacks will tend to use guns to kill others, whites will tend to use guns to kill themselves. The number of "self murders" in south Tulsa is higher than the city wide homicide rate.  I wonder why they don't report suicides on the news as urgently as they report other types of murder/homicide? It seems to be just as much a societal problem that needs to be addressed as other types of homicides.

There is such a stigma attached to mental illness that many people who suffer from depression simply won’t get help or tell someone what is going on because they are embarrassed or don’t want to be stigmatized.  The most common comment from families and close friends of people who commit suicide?  “I had no idea.”

There are many, many resources available to help prevent suicide.  Unfortunately, they are under-utilized by those who need them most.

Many who suffer from depression don’t seek professional help, instead, opting to self-medicate which sends them further down the spiral.  The signs are not always visible from the outside so it’s really up to the person suffering to seek help, only the person suffering truly understands the depths.  There’s plenty of help available, you can’t force people to seek it out if they are reluctant to admit there is a problem in the first place.  It doesn’t mean being chained to meds and psychologists the rest of one’s life either.  Often it’s situational problems coupled with a chemical imbalance which can often be improved through changes in eating habits and increased exercise.

Self-disclosure:  Been there, sought help, have an amazing life today that I would have missed out on if I would have continued spiraling downward.  

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 09:05:47 am »

HA! In your face OKC! your No 2 to us again........OK wait.  Huh

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2014, 08:23:31 am »

Chicago and the others apparently fudge their numbers

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/May-2014/Chicago-crime-rates/
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 09:48:27 am by BKDotCom » Logged
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2014, 07:00:23 pm »

There is such a stigma attached to mental illness that many people who suffer from depression simply won’t get help or tell someone what is going on because they are embarrassed or don’t want to be stigmatized.  The most common comment from families and close friends of people who commit suicide?  “I had no idea.”

There are many, many resources available to help prevent suicide.  Unfortunately, they are under-utilized by those who need them most.

Many who suffer from depression don’t seek professional help, instead, opting to self-medicate which sends them further down the spiral.  The signs are not always visible from the outside so it’s really up to the person suffering to seek help, only the person suffering truly understands the depths.  There’s plenty of help available, you can’t force people to seek it out if they are reluctant to admit there is a problem in the first place.  It doesn’t mean being chained to meds and psychologists the rest of one’s life either.  Often it’s situational problems coupled with a chemical imbalance which can often be improved through changes in eating habits and increased exercise.

Self-disclosure:  Been there, sought help, have an amazing life today that I would have missed out on if I would have continued spiraling downward.  

The thought is, why is there so much higher rate of depression and suicide here than elsewhere?  What is the socio/cultural dynamic at play? Why is there even the higher "need" for this help (that someone may not seek)?   There appears to be something unique about the cities here to cause these much higher than average statistics.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 11:49:12 am »

Detroit at #14- this study is all hogwash. The correct way to figure crime is based on the number of crimes per 100,000 population.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 11:52:47 am »

Indianapolis at #8- Get real you can walk the streets there at night (aside from urban neighborhoods) and feel fairly safe- Omaha at 96 is also nuts, the crime in Omaha has always been low.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 02:04:37 pm by sauerkraut » Logged

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org