A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:09:40 am
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Tulsa Roughnecks soccer logo for 2015 at ONEOK Park  (Read 71526 times)
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2014, 12:54:53 pm »

Wow, an Austin Powers reference in a TN thread.  What is the world coming to?   Grin

I had to add a little levity to break up all the hostility baby ya!

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2014, 01:03:30 pm »

I had to add a little levity to break up all the hostility baby ya!

Now back to our regularly scheduled snark.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #77 on: September 10, 2014, 03:58:23 pm »

There are only two things I can't stand in this World. People who are intolerant of other peoples cultures. And the Dutch!  Grin

Sooo....that means you are even ok with Canada??

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #78 on: September 10, 2014, 08:21:14 pm »

Representative soccer fans.....looks about right.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=758156680894652&fref=nf

(Even if there was too much cop carp going on...)

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2014, 07:13:04 am »

Representative soccer fans.....looks about right.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=758156680894652&fref=nf

(Even if there was too much cop carp going on...)

You see how the coward with the night stick run off without being touched? And it was his actions that started the mob retaliation.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2014, 07:43:54 am »

You see how the coward with the night stick run off without being touched? And it was his actions that started the mob retaliation.

He deserved the whoopin' that he didn't get.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2014, 07:47:32 am »

He deserved the whoopin' that he didn't get.

That's why I'm pretty proud to say that the level of heckling at hockey games very very rarely gets to 'needs law enforcement intervention' level.  A group of us will be in force this season for the Oilers, however.  About 10 of us in section 103 right above the tunnel where the visiting team leaves and enters their locker rooms.  Going to be a fun season for sure.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2014, 08:20:05 am »

That's why I'm pretty proud to say that the level of heckling at hockey games very very rarely gets to 'needs law enforcement intervention' level.  A group of us will be in force this season for the Oilers, however.  About 10 of us in section 103 right above the tunnel where the visiting team leaves and enters their locker rooms.  Going to be a fun season for sure.

Hey good Ol jeering, heckling and talking bout their Mothers (well maybe not that) is all in good fun. Give em hell Hoss!

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #83 on: September 11, 2014, 01:12:14 pm »

Hey good Ol jeering, heckling and talking bout their Mothers (well maybe not that) is all in good fun. Give em hell Hoss!

We have a 'hecklers guide' we abide by.  Talking about players' mothers is off limits.  Only one time we talked about a players wife, and that was because it was common knowledge that the month before, the player was jailed for domestic violence, was to say something like "Sedgwick County jail called...they're looking to send your dignity back!".  I fired that salvo off during a point in the game where it was dead quiet in the CC and it rang out.  My lungs aren't that good anymore, but to say I got some looks that night was an understatement.  So really in that case, we inferred about his wife and didn't say anything.

It's all in good fun.  We even heckle the referees.  Most hate it, but one or two love it and fire right back.  Our group wound up having a couple of beers with a referee like that after a game.  He instantly earned my respect.

You cannot take yourself too seriously.  It's just a game, but the heckling is fun.  It's kinda like this forum in a way....

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #84 on: September 11, 2014, 02:03:42 pm »

We have a 'hecklers guide' we abide by.  Talking about players' mothers is off limits.  Only one time we talked about a players wife, and that was because it was common knowledge that the month before, the player was jailed for domestic violence, was to say something like "Sedgwick County jail called...they're looking to send your dignity back!".  I fired that salvo off during a point in the game where it was dead quiet in the CC and it rang out.  My lungs aren't that good anymore, but to say I got some looks that night was an understatement.  So really in that case, we inferred about his wife and didn't say anything.

It's all in good fun.  We even heckle the referees.  Most hate it, but one or two love it and fire right back.  Our group wound up having a couple of beers with a referee like that after a game.  He instantly earned my respect.

You cannot take yourself too seriously.  It's just a game, but the heckling is fun.  It's kinda like this forum in a way....

It’s true for any sport.  Even cycling.  The heckling is relentless on Crybaby Hill and during cyclocross season which is coming up.  Cyclocross is stupid hard, so anyone who does it gets major respect from the other riders but it still doesn’t keep them from hurling insults at each other.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #85 on: September 13, 2014, 11:03:55 am »

Rufnex. Is there a reason that your team are the Athletics and not the Roughnecks?

Owners thought the "Roughnecks" name had been dragged through the mud in the 90s.
I agree.  And most all of our fans agreed that if an NPSL amateur team called itself the Roughnecks, it would be taken as a joke.
Many of them feel the same way about this USL Pro team calling itself the Roughnecks... USL Pro is Division 3 soccer, NPSL is Division 4.

You certainly have the passion of someone who truly loved Tulsa's team of the past. Your team I believe came first on the scene. So I would figure with the name available (or maybe not) that it would be a no brainer to keep the logo and history right here under local leadership and people who genuinely care.  Now I have no knowledge of Trademark Law or any idea what it takes to bring back fond memories with a business or franchise. But I loved the Roughnecks of the past and I totally understand where your passion is coming from.

The old logo itself is public domain.  The Athletics wanted to turn the page and honestly would rather just retire the name "Roughnecks" altogether.
The new NASL (2010) is one level below MLS and had trademark rights to the Roughnecks name (among others) until about a year ago.
Bob Funk Jr.'s OKC Energy secured the trademark rights to Tulsa Roughnecks FC in their fight with Brad Lund's OKC FC group that is slated to play in the NASL in 2015... in Yukon, OK.
Brad Lund got his uncle Jeff to recruit ownership for a new Tulsa Roughnecks in the new NASL and also wanted the trademark... the Athletics got stuck in the middle of that fight.

So other than built in immediate ticket sales for this new venture. I see no need for them to be called the Roughnecks if they are wanting a whole new logo and colors. What will be sad is when they dig deep in their pockets and trot out our beloved former players wearing this new gawd awful logo and colors for meet and greet autograph day at the stadium.

My thoughts exactly.

“Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.”
― Brendan Behan  http://www.TulsaRoughnecks.com
TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #86 on: September 13, 2014, 03:16:44 pm »

Tonight, TU's mens team plays rival #2 Creighton at 7pm at 8th & College, just west of Delaware on the TU campus.  Tailgate starts at 5:30pm.
Last week, TU (in a bit of a rebuilding year) beat #3 Virginia... http://www.tulsahurricane.com/sports/m-soccer/recaps/090514aaa.html

Conan, here's a preview of the new soccer configuration at Taft Stadium (OKC Public Schools owns it and technically the OKC Energy USL Pro team is a tenant).
The entire stadium had to be demolished (it was in too bad shape for a "gut-rehab").
The only thing remaining of old Taft Stadium will be the historic front wall.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEOh1OJf7gA[/youtube]

« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 03:18:24 pm by TulsaRufnex » Logged

“Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.”
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #87 on: September 13, 2014, 10:01:55 pm »

The Athletics wanted to turn the page and honestly would rather just retire the name "Roughnecks" altogether.

Why do you care? Why would anyone from the other team care what you think about their name?

"Turn the page" is good advice for you too.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #88 on: September 13, 2014, 11:46:19 pm »

Why do you care? Why would anyone from the other team care what you think about their name?

Anyone else realize it’s been 41 years since Turn The Page was released?  Seems like only 31 years to me. Cool

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GONmFCkCGCc[/youtube]

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #89 on: September 14, 2014, 06:33:13 pm »

Why do you care?

There's a website I created a few years back called TulsaRoughnecks.com
The last thing that I (and many other fans, for that matter) want is another coverband team like the one we had playing at this same level of semi-pro soccer back in the 90s.

Tulsa Roughnecks (1993–2000)

The second Tulsa Roughnecks were an American soccer team that played in the United Soccer Leagues from 1993-99.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulsa_Roughnecks_%281993%E2%80%932000%29

Why would anyone from the other team care what you think about their name?

You'd think they'd want all the fan support they could get, especially from soccer fans living in the greater Tulsa metro area.
On the bright side, at least their team colors will remind all of us that they're half-owned by OKC people.

This team isn't the "Roughnecks."  
They're the Tulsa Thunder-Barons (a hyphenated name for hyphenated ownership with hyphenated interests).

Why now?
We're just getting started.   Grin

« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 09:28:27 pm by TulsaRufnex » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org