A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 02:12:32 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Tulsa Roughnecks soccer logo for 2015 at ONEOK Park  (Read 71341 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2014, 12:55:07 pm »

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Roughnecks-Need-Fans-for-Commercial-Shoot.html?soid=1115895323242&aid=AqWysG2ZbKg

Wonder whose head will explode from this?

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2014, 02:12:06 pm »

I gotta show up for that.... free pizza!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2014, 03:28:43 pm »

And they want you to wear their new colors and logo. But they are not going to provide them. How are you going to film fans in the stands cheering for a team that hasn't even played yet? They might as well serve "Shotgun Sams" pizza too. That would bring a crowd.  Grin

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2014, 03:49:18 pm »

And they want you to wear their new colors and logo. But they are not going to provide them. How are you going to film fans in the stands cheering for a team that hasn't even played yet? They might as well serve "Shotgun Sams" pizza too. That would bring a crowd.  Grin

I plan to use body paint....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2014, 08:04:58 pm »

Let's recap...

Yes.
Let's recap.

Tulsa had several opportunities for an MLS club dating back twenty years.
This city has blown it several times, early 90s, late 90s, 2002 and most recently in 2005... http://tulsanow.org/index.php/in-the-mood-to-help-fund-a-downtown-soccer-stadium/

Eventually, the city built a shiny, new downtown ballpark... a ballpark that was not constructed to accommodate soccer in any meaningful way.
They could have built it to accommodate soccer/football, but they didn't.
They built a very baseball specific stadium.

You push for a local soccer team on this forum for many years.

Not only that, I corresponded with Tulsa County officials and the new NASL (one level below MLS) for years to do anything to make sure the old ballpark at the fairgrounds wasn't demolished for surface parking, or turned into a Cabella's, or converted for midget-car races (sorry bout that one, Conan)...

So do many other people.
Tell me who these "other people" are.
Because the Drillers are most definitely Johnny-come-lately to all of this.

Then two different groups move forward and create two different teams.

No.  That's a tall tale, Michael.
One local group drew over 3,000 fans per game in their first season at 15th & Yale.
Their goal has been to move up the ladder from Day One.
It was only after their success that the other group magically surfaced...

And this other group, who've never had any previous interest in soccer whatsoever, suddenly shows up bankrolled and coerced (dare I say "bribed?") by a group from OKC.

You decide to hate one of the teams.

I didn't just "decide to hate one of the teams."
I decided I needed to support my friends, and defend the group that is growing organically, dreaming of someday putting together an MLS bid for Tulsa, and IMO is the only group that has Tulsa soccer's best interests at heart.

I saw multiple conflicts of interest last year... one from Bob Funk's OKC group (in the midst of a bitter feud with another OKC group that includes Brad Lund).
Another from Brad and Jeff Lund, who wanted a second NASL team in Tulsa to go with their own OKC team.

Despite the fact the Tulsa Athletics had better average attendance (3k+) over the 2013 season than most of the USL Pro teams that the Drillers will join in 2015, neither OKC group wanted to truly work as partners/equals with the Athletics... they were too busy fighting over who gets to exploit the Roughnecks name...
http://dohertysoccer.com/previous-lower-division-attendances/2013-lower-division-attendances/2013-usl-pro-attendance/

You spend every post you can trying to undermine the other team in every way including that they have some investors from another city in Oklahoma or have a team logo that looks to you like someone else's logo.

I'm going to spend most of my time on this subject pointing out conflicts of interest.
Because it's out there...  And it manifests itself in many ways... to slap the Roughnecks name on jerseys that look suspiciously derivative of the Thunder and Barons is only one of the smaller reasons why I am highly suspicious of the Drillers and Prodigal LLC's motives.  

I also happen to find the logo pretty vapid.  
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 08:51:16 pm by TulsaRufnex » Logged

“Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.”
― Brendan Behan  http://www.TulsaRoughnecks.com
TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2014, 08:20:14 pm »

BTW Conan, here's some midget car racing for you (about a minute into the video)...  Cool

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49hSTqWGRQw[/youtube]
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 08:30:42 pm by TulsaRufnex » Logged

“Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.”
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2014, 08:40:58 pm »

You really think the reason the Roughnecks ownership bought a professional USL team to move to Tulsa is because the Athletics drew 3,000 fans to an amateur game?

You must have a screw loose. People in this town have been wanting a professional team long before the Athletics. Don't you remember an exhibition game at TU during LaFortune's years? Do you not think the recent success of TU soccer had any effect? Maybe the strong interest in World cup matches of 2010 and 2014? Maybe the impact of the Tulsa sports commission bringing in national youth soccer tournaments could be a factor?

No. According to you, it is all because you and your friends found a unused baseball stadium, painted it green and had some amateur matches that caused another group to suddenly spend big bucks to bring in a professional team. Let me tell you, people have been talking about a professional team in Tulsa for many years.

If you really think that YOU caused the Roughnecks organization to do this, you are suffering from some real mental disorders.

I would think you would work on your own product, try to build your own fan base, and try and find funding to complete your dream of moving up. Instead, all your energy is spent negatively attacking the other team as if they were the enemy.

If you put a good product on the field and make it an enjoyable experience for the fans, you should do fine. If you just continue to act like there is a conspiracy against you personally, you will likely fail.

The choice is up to you.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2014, 08:44:39 pm »

BTW Conan, here's some midget car racing for you (about a minute into the video)...  Cool

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49hSTqWGRQw[/youtube]

Technically stock cars, but Taft was a legendary midget track in the 1940’s and 1950’s.  Quite a few future Indy 500 drivers raced there.  Used to be you could race a midget six nights a week from Kansas to Texas.  Thanks for the call out!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2014, 09:41:15 pm »

Yes.
Let's recap.

Tulsa had several opportunities for an MLS club dating back twenty years.
This city has blown it several times, early 90s, late 90s, 2002 and most recently in 2005... http://tulsanow.org/index.php/in-the-mood-to-help-fund-a-downtown-soccer-stadium/

What RM said.

I hope you will keep on promoting the idea of pro soccer here in town, 'cause it might end up being a good thing for the city.  Now, for the "butt"....

You said it yourself - the opportunities dating back 20 years...well, they actually go back further - well into the 70's, but the number you use is a reflection of your age and what is "real" in that shorter time frame.  The city has not "blown" it - the concept has not reached the "critical mass" necessary to gain enough support to make it happen yet - for whatever reason or reasons.  Or alternately, has not attracted the attention of the right "whales" who are big fans and have the money to make it happen.

I am not trying to advance a cause or sell an idea like you are - I generally try to shine light on the ignorance and stupidstition running rampant in so many corners of the state.  YOU on the other hand are trying to "sell" something.  And as the old hack goes, you always attract more flies with honey than vinegar.  I happen to like vinegar - especially in a nice balsamic vinaigrette - but you might want to consider the 'honey' approach rather than my way.  Go to 'charm' school.  Join Toastmasters.  Dale Carnegie.  Something to smooth your rough edges and make your message palatable - less astringent.

TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2014, 09:43:13 pm »

You really think the reason the Roughnecks ownership bought a professional USL team to move to Tulsa is because the Athletics drew 3,000 fans to an amateur game?

You must have a screw loose.

No, Michael.
You're the one who got his panties in a bunch last spring when some of our Athletics fans got on your case.
And now you're attacking my character.

People in this town have been wanting a professional team long before the Athletics. Don't you remember an exhibition game at TU during LaFortune's years?

I supported his efforts.  You didn't.  
You wanted a new ballpark for the Drillers instead.
You went on and on about how a "soccer specific stadium" could only be used for soccer.

I don't want to be the Drillers orange-headed stepchild when we can be first tenant at 15th and Yale... sorry.
I'm sure there will be plenty of people buying tickets to watch the Tulsa Thundercats.
I hope the Athletics will be able to survive.  But I don't think they can survive more than a few years at 15th & Yale unless they get into the NASL.

Do you not think the recent success of TU soccer had any effect?

TU soccer has been successful for many years, but that didn't have any influence on the construction of soccer-unfriendly ONEOk Field.
I was at the TU game last Friday night.  You weren't.  So you really shouldn't attempt to lecture me on the subject.
Several members of our supporters group were there too.  Some of us will support the new Roughnecks, some of us (like me) won't.
Free country.

No. According to you, it is all because you and your friends found a unused baseball stadium, painted it green and had some amateur matches that caused another group to suddenly spend big bucks to bring in a professional team.

Now you're just being dismissive.  And on top of that, you're being a dick.
I will always have more respect for the hard work the staff at the Tulsa Athletics have done than I will ever have for trust-fund babies with money to burn.

I'm convinced the Hubbard brothers would have never taken the plunge had it not been for the OKC people who bankrolled it in a pissing match with the Lunds.  
I simply don't like it when a well financed group tries to jerk the rug out from under good local folks who've put their butts on the line in our city and transformed the old ballpark into a soccer specific facility Tulsa can be proud of.  Especially when I consider those folks to be my friends.

And yes... I like being first tenant in that old tin can of a stadium...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT_KPWnybug[/youtube]

Let me tell you, people have been talking about a professional team in Tulsa for many years.

And let me tell you, I know a helluva lot more about this than you do, so maybe you should just quit while you're behind.
Evidently, according to you, the Drillers can do no wrong and the Athletics are just cheap...

If you really think that YOU caused the Roughnecks organization to do this, you are suffering from some real mental disorders.

Someone's cranky and probably needs a nap.
Once again, you attack my character.
Do we have moderators on this site or not?

I would think you would work on your own product, try to build your own fan base, and try and find funding to complete your dream of moving up. Instead, all your energy is spent negatively attacking the other team as if they were the enemy.

Wow.  You really are bitter about this, RM.
I believe to this day, that if it weren't for the conflicts of interest between rival groups in OKC, the Athletics would have announced a new NASL team by now for 2015 or 2016.

And maybe the Drillers would simply be good neighbors.
Instead of trying to eat us.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 11:39:05 pm by TulsaRufnex » Logged

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2014, 09:46:01 pm »

Now you're just being dismissive.  And on top of that, you're being a dick.
I will always have more respect for the hard work the staff at the Tulsa Athletics have done than I will ever have for trust-fund babies with money to burn.

And let me tell you, I know a helluva lot more about this than you do, so maybe you should just quit while you're behind.
Evidently, according to you, the Drillers can do no wrong and the Athletics are just cheap...

Someone's cranky and probably needs a nap.
Once again, you attack my character.
Do we have moderators on this site or not?

Wow.  You really are bitter about this, RM.
I believe to this day, that if it weren't for the conflicts of interest between rival groups in OKC, the Athletics would have announced a new NASL team by now for 2015 or 2016.

And maybe the Drillers would simply be good neighbors.
Instead of trying to eat us.

You really aren't getting it, are you?

Oh, well....I tried.

TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2014, 09:47:33 pm »

Blah, blah, blah...
Blah blah troll blah...

I'm going to strongly state my opinions.
I did so five years ago... I did so nearly ten years ago when I starting posting on this site.
Get over it.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 09:50:42 pm by TulsaRufnex » Logged

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2014, 09:49:53 pm »

I'm going to strongly state my opinions.
Get over it.

Good for you!!  Continue your culture of failure!!  We will avoid soccer for decades!!

TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2014, 09:51:29 pm »

Good for you!!  Continue your culture of failure!!  We will avoid soccer for decades!!

Now you're just being a troll.
Maybe you should go back to the shooting sports.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2014, 10:08:00 pm »

Now you're just being a troll.
Maybe you should go back to the shooting sports.

So many catchy comebacks!!  I just cannot imagine WHY there has been so much resistance to your agenda in town, as evidenced by the total lack of success in achieving your stated goals.

But hey, if that's working out for you - onward and downward!!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org