A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 08:04:14 am
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: University of Tulsa  (Read 17651 times)
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2021, 09:10:38 am »

My biggest hope for TU is that they will redevelop the southern portion of campus at some point along Route 66. Between them and Hillcrest they're two of the biggest frontage owners along Route 66 in this area. They could have a really outsized influence on the corridor. Those dorms I'm sure are getting aged and aren't exactly the 'it' kind of student housing they used to be. Redeveloping those into more mixed-use style housing with retail (like this: https://uscvillage.com/   or   https://uscvillage.com/maps-and-parking/ ) along with the parking lots around the arena at 11th & Harvard. If they want to be able to recruit talent to the university, that would be a great start by kick starting development around the campus so it feels more like a real community versus being walled off.

Completely agree.  When they originally built Mayo and Lorton Villages and the new green fronting 11th it was part of an effort to better connect the campus to 11th.  But the late 90's/early 00's apartments with surface parking and fences around them are now an outdated concept, especially at this location.  That is where TU should focus its redevelopment, similar to how TCU has been an instrumental in developing Berry St next to its campus which used to look a lot like 11th. 

I also like that TU is looking west where it has its Cyber District planned at 6th & Lewis.  Plans are still vague but hopefully that materializes which would tie into all of the other new developments along Lewis.  Eventually I'd like to see more of the older housing redeveloped south of 6th and replaced with higher density apartments and townhomes like what they have been doing along and north of 6th between Lewis and Delaware.

TulsaBeMore
Activist

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2021, 12:41:04 pm »

Way out there ---- what if TU merged with OU-Tulsa and somehow brought the Cancer Treatment Center and Hillcrest together with TU being the surviving entity.  TU Health.  Physically grow the campus to Hillcrest.  Or take over Promenade and meld with OU-Schusterman Center.  Something to kick-start things.  Up the enrollment by 5-8 thousand undergrads and 2-3 thousand grads while not sacrificing excellence.  At the minimum --- agree with redeveloping south all the way to Lewis... expanding west and maybe even east to Will Rogers High School --- take Rogers in as an Apprentice/Skills HS.  

Whatever --- break the mold.  Will universities as they are fully recover from COVID?  Anticipate the change and lead it.    
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2021, 01:31:29 pm »

Way out there ---- what if TU merged with OU-Tulsa and somehow brought the Cancer Treatment Center and Hillcrest together with TU being the surviving entity.  TU Health.  Physically grow the campus to Hillcrest.  Or take over Promenade and meld with OU-Schusterman Center.  Something to kick-start things.  Up the enrollment by 5-8 thousand undergrads and 2-3 thousand grads while not sacrificing excellence.  At the minimum --- agree with redeveloping south all the way to Lewis... expanding west and maybe even east to Will Rogers High School --- take Rogers in as an Apprentice/Skills HS.  

Whatever --- break the mold.  Will universities as they are fully recover from COVID?  Anticipate the change and lead it.    

OU and TU are already linked together with the OU-TU School of Community Medicine https://www.ou.edu/tulsa/community_medicine/about-scm and have agreements with Hillcrest (OU Physicians has an office building on the campus) - it makes sense to have Hillcrest be a part of OU Health as well as the Cancer Treatment Center.  More collaboration between OU, OSU and TU will be key moving forward

LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2021, 11:42:04 am »

OU and TU are already linked together with the OU-TU School of Community Medicine https://www.ou.edu/tulsa/community_medicine/about-scm and have agreements with Hillcrest (OU Physicians has an office building on the campus) - it makes sense to have Hillcrest be a part of OU Health as well as the Cancer Treatment Center.  More collaboration between OU, OSU and TU will be key moving forward

The TU-OU partnership has always baffled me... I don't get why TU didn't just create it's own medical school? I don't think I've seen any other schools do this either or maybe I just don't fully understand the internal structure of it.

I'd like to see TU eventually build its own medical center and research facilities. Having OSU and a TU medical center would be a good thing for the city. You might be able to get to a critical mass too where you could start bringing in and building some life science facilities for private companies. Something Oklahoma is not doing very well at the moment.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2021, 03:53:17 pm »

The TU-OU partnership has always baffled me... I don't get why TU didn't just create it's own medical school? I don't think I've seen any other schools do this either or maybe I just don't fully understand the internal structure of it.

I'd like to see TU eventually build its own medical center and research facilities. Having OSU and a TU medical center would be a good thing for the city. You might be able to get to a critical mass too where you could start bringing in and building some life science facilities for private companies. Something Oklahoma is not doing very well at the moment.

More likely OU would build the medical center (or better yet takeover Hillcrest on 11th) and expand its OU Health offerings in Tulsa.  TU with its joint venture partnership with OU would also have a place there.  Similar to how the different schools share facilities at Texas Medical Center in Houston.

LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2021, 09:32:33 pm »

More likely OU would build the medical center (or better yet takeover Hillcrest on 11th) and expand its OU Health offerings in Tulsa.  TU with its joint venture partnership with OU would also have a place there.  Similar to how the different schools share facilities at Texas Medical Center in Houston.

I don't think Texas Medical Center is ran by a specific university though is it? I think it's a non-profit entity that just oversees the area and each school has it's own complex within the Texas Medical Center and are stand alone schools/programs. There's no Baylor-University of Texas school of medicine or A&M-Baylor, it's just Baylor, A&M, UT, etc. schools that just all happen to be in the Texas Medical Center. It's not odd to have medical schools clustered together but not sure if I've ever seen a partnership like OU-TU. Where one specific university seems to be the dominate school (for medicine that would be OU). Do people that graduate from the OU-TU school get degrees from both schools? When you pull up the website for the school you go directly to OU.edu, I don't think TU even has a website for the school of community medicine. The only part on TU's website is for Oxley College of Health Sciences (which is part of the OU-TU partnership I think). It would make more sense to me if say OU and TU bought Hillcrest together (as an example) and rebranded it 'Tulsa Medical Center' or something and were partners in ownership then each university had their own degree programs as a University of Tulsa or University of Oklahoma and just had shared access to facilities and offices versus having a co-branded school like now.

I mean if your degree says University of Oklahoma when you graduate the OU-TU school of community medicine, what's the point of having TU as a co-brand partner in name only? That's kind of the main point that is confusing to me about the partnership.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2021, 11:12:22 pm »

TU offers first and second year classes through its College of Health Sciences which is in the old BCBS building downtown.

From an article when the school was created:
Currently, TU specializes in biological science and only offers a joint degree with OU for a physician's assistant, while medical students at OU-Tulsa only take their final two years of classes and complete their residency training.

The new plan will combine the two and allow future doctors to complete all of their coursework and training in Tulsa.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 11:16:56 pm by SXSW » Logged

LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2021, 09:14:10 am »

TU offers first and second year classes through its College of Health Sciences which is in the old BCBS building downtown.

From an article when the school was created:

I guess I didn't realize MD's took four years to complete - I was thinking it was 3 years plus a residency. I'm guessing then OU Tulsa doesn't offer the first two years of an MD program in Tulsa but only in Norman/OKC so TU then fills that void? Students at TU just automatically transfer into OU Tulsa after completing the first two years I'm guessing and your final degree comes from OU.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2021, 09:46:38 am »

OU Health currently has its primary medical center, children's hospital and cancer center in OKC, along with a hospital in Edmond.  Of the Tulsa hospital systems Hillcrest would make the most sense to be either taken over or joint-ventured with OU Health.  Its location would benefit any future partnerships with TU as well.

Off topic but OSU is also doing a joint venture with the Cherokee Nation for a satellite medical school in Tahlequah.  https://www.oklahoman.com/story/special/2021/04/15/osu-cherokee-nation-open-first-medical-school-tribal-land/4674613001/
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 10:08:34 am by SXSW » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org