A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:13:01 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Macy's distribution center  (Read 14631 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2014, 10:01:13 pm »

Then when the pay scales were announced for the jobs at the plant, a lot of those people who were so opposed to it, ran back wanting jobs there.

And those pay scales explained with the preface, "We are not oil and we are not aircraft industries...."  Pay scales were mediocre at best.  Don't know anyone there for the last 5 years or so - have there been increases in the pay scales??

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2014, 12:45:43 am »

And those pay scales explained with the preface, "We are not oil and we are not aircraft industries...."  Pay scales were mediocre at best.  Don't know anyone there for the last 5 years or so - have there been increases in the pay scales??

Back in '96-'97 minimum wag was $4.75 and then went to $5.15 in '97. The starting wages at Whirlpool IIRC was $8.00 or slightly better for general wages plus benefits. At the time you could get call center jobs at $10.00 but they may not include any benefits, so Whirlpool was very enticing. You could get hired on and have a potential future, and possibly getting paid twice what you were making, with some real benefits.

If you are making $7.45 with no bennies right now, $10.00 to $12.00 at Macy's looks good (are they offering any bennies?) it's a start to improve pay for someone, and may offer them a growth potential.

As has been discussed elsewhere, cities and county's, and states offering incentives to get new businesses is the new norm, for good or bad. If OK wants to keep and attract high tech, higher paying jobs, they need to make incentives, and God forbid, change some things about the state to make it more attractive. (Give Smoot a job writing parking tickets and change some of the liquor laws)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2014, 09:08:54 am »

Back in '96-'97 minimum wag was $4.75 and then went to $5.15 in '97. The starting wages at Whirlpool IIRC was $8.00 or slightly better for general wages plus benefits. At the time you could get call center jobs at $10.00 but they may not include any benefits, so Whirlpool was very enticing. You could get hired on and have a potential future, and possibly getting paid twice what you were making, with some real benefits.

If you are making $7.45 with no bennies right now, $10.00 to $12.00 at Macy's looks good (are they offering any bennies?) it's a start to improve pay for someone, and may offer them a growth potential.

As has been discussed elsewhere, cities and county's, and states offering incentives to get new businesses is the new norm, for good or bad. If OK wants to keep and attract high tech, higher paying jobs, they need to make incentives, and God forbid, change some things about the state to make it more attractive. (Give Smoot a job writing parking tickets and change some of the liquor laws)

In the orientation cattle calls they had, people were told the hourly rates would be in the $6 to $8 per hour range.  Had 2 friends who went to work there, from Rockwell.  Not exactly enticing.  But kept the wolf away from the door for a while.  As time went on, one left after about 3 years and the other stayed for over 10 years.  They did have small raises and there were benefits.  But NO where on a par with either aircraft industry or oil.

Incentives are a lame excuse for not doing all the other things a state should do to make a business friendly environment.  If the state has done even just most of the other stuff right, they don't need to offer "incentives" - those other things ARE the biggest incentive!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org