A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 05:39:37 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Hampton Inn Hotel - One Place Downtown Development  (Read 45621 times)
brettakins
Activist

« on: December 05, 2013, 11:08:22 am »

A local business will be bringing a 120-room hotel to be built in the next phase of One Place in front of the BOK Center, Tulsa Development Authority commissioners were told Thursday.

Paresh "Pete" Patel, president of locally-owned Promise Hotels, said the $15 million development will provide about 50 jobs, not including construction work.

"We'd like to get you checked in by early 2016," Patel said to a TDA commissioner.

It's the fourth announcement of a downtown hotel development in recent weeks and the second by Patel.

The 86,000 square feet, 120-room hotel will connect to the other buildings at One Place and will not have dedicated parking.

Bob Eggleston, One Place developer, said parking is not required for the building and is available within a block of the planned hotel.

Eggleston said other major cities have downtown hotels which thrive without dedicated parking.

The planned Hampton Inn will be the third Hilton-brand hotel in downtown Tulsa, which includes Hilton Garden Inn -- currently under development by Patel's Promise Hotels.

Promise Hotels' ownership consists of nine hotels, 900 rooms and 250 employees in the Tulsa area, according to a release.

Construction will be managed by The Ross Group, a company with offices in Oklahoma City that managed construction of the Jenks' Oklahoma Aquarium.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/another-hotel-announced-today-for-downtown/article_3da7a1bc-5dca-11e3-8dc6-0019bb30f31a.html
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 11:24:08 am »

I assume this will include the inviting interior courtyard, street level retail, and other pedestrian friendly aspects sold to the TDA on the original plan for the larger development?  

No, not really.  It will just be a hotel plopped onto the lot.

Nice looking rendering.  Kind of like the no dedicated parking thing (plenty of ramps within valet distance).  Happy that a local company is doing it and obvious glad something is going up.

But I'm tired of the bait and switch:

Announced:

Revised:

Reality:

all within 2 years!  Probably not the developers fault, probably TDA somehow.  Again, happy for development.  Nice looking plan.  But when you are sold on a GREAT idea and what you get is something good... you end up disappointed.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 11:26:19 am by cannon_fodder » Logged

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 11:50:09 am »

Yeah.  I don't really get it.  The initial renderings were fantastic.  Looked like complete mixed use and almost a street level shopping mall atmosphere on the bottom floors.  Almost (not quite) like Kansas City's development across from their arena.  Instead there is an office tower with the bottom floors as a parking garage and an okay looking building with only one street level tenant so far.  Disappointing to say the least.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 12:08:49 pm »

Instead there is an office tower with the bottom floors as a parking garage and an okay looking building with only one street level tenant so far.  Disappointing to say the least.

More are coming.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 02:09:41 pm »

More are coming.

I had to take another look to see what you had emboldened.  I thought you meant more disappointments were coming.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 04:01:29 pm »

One Place is turning out to be a real missed opportunity for something great.  It's better than the surface parking it has mostly replaced, but is hard not to be disappointed.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 04:08:02 pm »

One Place is turning out to be a real missed opportunity for something great.  It's better than the surface parking it has mostly replaced, but is hard not to be disappointed.

It's barely been up a year.  Simma down...

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 04:15:24 pm »

But we gout our Doobie Bartlett again!!  We must be aheads of the game...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 05:04:46 pm »

It's barely been up a year.  Simma down...

The passing of a few years won't make the design/style of this development any better or more interesting.  This was prime real estate next to one of Tulsa's show piece public projects.  As can be seen from the earlier renderings above, there was a real chance to have something specatacular.  Instead we got a boring utilitarian office building/parking garage and some retail restaurant spaces (mostly empyt so far) that don't interact particularly well with streets/sidewalks.  This Hampton Inn does not do much to improve on what's been done so far and that doesn't give much hope that the planned apartments (if they ever get built), will be much better.  As I said before, it's better than what was here, but it falls well short of its potential.  Perhaps I'm getting spoiled buy other successes downtown, but to me One Place is disappointing because it missed hitting its potential.

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 05:16:44 pm »

I'm happy with this design (provided that it doesn't change dramatically) , it will make a nice transition from the BOK area to the DECO area.

Time to do a new room count on existing and proposed downtown hotels again, I would say that we are close to filling the forecast that was published several years ago.

Now it's time to beef up retail shopping in downtown so all of these visitors will have something to do while they are here and pay our taxes for us.

Rookie Okie
Civic Leader

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 05:36:18 pm »

Can someone please clarify, but was this the space that was targeted for a full line hotel?  If it was, well I guess I'm still happy about the announcement.  Hampton Inn is a nice brand and is a good coup for downtown.  

From the rendering, the exterior appears unfriendly as if to send a message to keep moving there's nothing inviting here.  But perhaps there's more to it than meets the eye.

Looking at the first image in the "bait and switch" announcement rendering showing the street level retail, this would have been a great space for the outlet stores that are likely coming to the suburbs or exurbs of Tulsa.  But since it obviously can't happen with this project, I'll still envision outlet shopping in a well conceived stylish downtown streetscape setting with traditional storefronts on sidewalks.  I'd really like to see something like this incorporated through a combination of refurbishment, repurposing, and infill.  It could become a true destination and marketed as such like all other outlet centers.

It could also an epicenter to provide the large draw of the gen pop into downtown that is lacking on a consistent basis, serve as a catalyst for further development of all types, compliment the independent specialty retail and business and culture that we'd like to cultivate and attract, and it would not directly compete for conventional mall shoppers since the concepts and business models are different.

Without major league sports and a magnitude greater of more residents than what  currently resides in the core, this may be one of the more viable alternatives to move downtown to the next frontier.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 05:41:44 pm »

Can someone please clarify, but was this the space that was targeted for a full line hotel?  If it was, well I guess I'm still happy about the announcement.  Hampton Inn is a nice brand and is a good coup for downtown.  

From the rendering, the exterior appears unfriendly as if to send a message to keep moving there's nothing inviting here.  But perhaps there's more to it than meets the eye.

Looking at the first image in the "bait and switch" announcement rendering showing the street level retail, this would have been a great space for the outlet stores that are likely coming to the suburbs or exurbs of Tulsa.  But since it obviously can't happen with this project, I'll still envision outlet shopping in a well conceived stylish downtown streetscape setting with traditional storefronts on sidewalks.  I'd really like to see something like this incorporated through a combination of refurbishment, repurposing, and infill.  It could become a true destination and marketed as such like all other outlet centers.

It could also an epicenter to provide the large draw of the gen pop into downtown that is lacking on a consistent basis, serve as a catalyst for further development of all types, compliment the independent specialty retail and business and culture that we'd like to cultivate and attract, and it would not directly compete for conventional mall shoppers since the concepts and business models are different.

Without major league sports and a magnitude greater of more residents than what  currently resides in the core, this may be one of the more viable alternatives to move downtown to the next frontier.

Outlet store developers seem to prefer visible spots off high traffic freeways well outside downtown areas.  The main reason I suspect for this is easy access on and off, as well as being a draw for people from out of town.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 09:19:44 pm »

Do I see trees on the roof?  A rooftop bar would be pretty cool here, unless it's just a space for hotel guests.  The street level looks decent with the large windows.  A coffee shop at the corner would help liven it up more. 

I guess we can hope the residential component at 3rd & Denver is a better design.  And I think we're probably good for a few years with limited service hotels downtown..

Rookie Okie
Civic Leader

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 10:17:27 pm »

There is definitely a trend toward more limited service hotel properties.  The full service properties are just too costly to operate these days as people opt for more business friendly amenities and comfort and less of other (more costly) amenities and features, so that model is being followed less and less.

C, sure developers have chosen to build their outlet plazas off interstates and typically just a bit past the metros for lower taxes and other cost advantages.  I'm 99.9999% certain that's what will happen here when its all said and done.  However, since Tulsa seems to be the last metro on the planet without outlet shops and since almost a zillion other areas have their outlets 20 miles or so out, why not upset the apple cart and do something a little different for a change instead of being last to follow a dying trend.

As a matter of fact full scale outlet shopping concepts are being developed downtown in several cities from tourist destinations like New Orleans and Las Vegas to non descript places like Laredo, TX (where the proposal has already been approved and green lit).  If Bass Pro can be more successful in downtown/ Bricktown OKC and other downtowns than in Broken Arrow and other burbs, downtown America could be ready to embrace outlet shopping.  It obviously would require a hard pitch and a lot of work by the city and local economic development agencies to convince developers of the opportunity since it is different from the conventional blueprint. 

With all of the new hotels in the works, imagine some of the weekend packages, bus tours and the like that could be put together around outlet shopping combined with some other events downtown and the surrounding neighborhoods. 

I'd like some folks on the forum to talk about where outlet shops could be located in downtown.

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 10:30:08 pm »

Do I see trees on the roof?  A rooftop bar would be pretty cool here, unless it's just a space for hotel guests. 

Hampton Inn with a roof top bar? Doubt it. The only "bar" most all Hamptons have is the breakfast bar. Agree that would be a cool place for one, but haven't stayed at a Hampton that has a bar.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org