A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:49:43 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Car Buying Time  (Read 26973 times)
guido911
T-Town Elder

« on: June 30, 2013, 10:53:47 pm »

I needed to get new cars-one of me and one for my now-16 year old. Drove numerous makes/models, but I must say the new Infiniti rocks.  Anyone else recently test driving cars?

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 05:52:43 am »

Personally I wouldn't spend 6 digits on any car for my child, and I'd probably make them pay half.

I went to a school were a large number of kids got a new car from mommy and daddy when they turned 16. A large number of those had trashed or totalled the cars before graduation. The number that really appreciated the vehicle and cared for it was about 0%.

Plus, as a matter of practice I don't buy new. I have bought new but I've since bought 3 cars that were 1 yr old for 10 grand off each. New car smell is intoxicating but not 10 grand intoxicating.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 06:46:19 am »

I needed to get new cars-one of me and one for my now-16 year old. Drove numerous makes/models, but I must say the new Infiniti rocks.  Anyone else recently test driving cars?

Two people where I work bought new Ford Fusions.  One is a Titanium, the other is a hybrid.  Both owners seem happy with their choice.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 06:55:12 am »

Plus, as a matter of practice I don't buy new. I have bought new but I've since bought 3 cars that were 1 yr old for 10 grand off each. New car smell is intoxicating but not 10 grand intoxicating.

That should depend on how fast a model depreciates.  About 10 years ago, my brother was looking for a used Honda CRV.  The ones several years old were only about $3K to $4K off new retail.  He bought new.  This $10K off you mention, is that off MSRP or what you could have actually purchased a new car price.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 07:21:34 am »

I'm driving my second Nissan and have had no serious problems with either... I would assume the infitiy would be equally reliable.

What specs are you looking for? What will you use it for (towing/camping/commuting/soccer mom mobile)? Do you care if people think I this a luxury brand or an "in" car?

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
davideinstein
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 09:10:50 am »

Buy a bike!

If you must, Nissan is the way though.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 10:43:40 am »

Whew!  What an amazing world your kid gets to live in!  Lucky guy!   I have been driving a 2 year old Lexus GS 350 from time to time recently (family member's).  It's ok - another nice Toyota.  I don't think I would care for the ride for a road trip, but around town is good.  Infiniti - well,...ok, if you like Renault...(Nissan) - about the same as Lexus and Acura - all decent rides, but no better than the mainstream nameplate cars from the same companies.   

I have made comments from time to time about what lousy rides the more pedestrian models used in rental fleets are.  There are a few exceptions;  Nissan Altima.  Honda Accord and Civic.  Ford Fusion was surprisingly good - and great gas mileage.  Drove a Chevy Cruse two weeks ago and got about 32 mpg - carp car.

Rode in a Buick Encore last week and it was nice enough.  If you like suv's/crossover types.

Get the kid a big "clunker" he can round the corners on without you getting too excited about the money lost...unless you don't care at all.  Late model Grand Marquis is great for that...they are inexpensive to buy and operate and maintain - have been looking for another one and have found nice mid 2000 models for way under $10k.  (Bought a cherry 1997 Gr Marq last fall for $2700!).  Plus, when the corners get banged on, they don't cost that much to fix, comparatively.  And even the most exclusive of gated communities will view that as a "near-luxury" car that usually is allowed in without toll...I know 'cause I have one and have actually driven through a couple without the cops chasing me down!  He will get good enough gas mileage to be able to afford the necessary travel, but won't be good enough to do the type of out of control "joy riding" I did when I was a kid.  (About 16 to 20 mpg for someone who doesn't drive very carefully - I get 21 to 26).

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 10:58:24 am »

My son turns that age next year.

My plan is to buy a car for him that only holds two people. My theory is that kids will get in trouble and accidents will happen, but the driver will get in the most trouble. My second premise is that two guys can hang out together fine, but add a third guy and they act way differently.

That way, when him and his buddies act like teenagers, they will be in someone else's car.

Power is nothing till you use it.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 11:06:49 am »

My plan is to buy a car for him that only holds two people. My theory is that kids will get in trouble and accidents will happen, but the driver will get in the most trouble. My second premise is that two guys can hang out together fine, but add a third guy and they act way differently.

That way, when him and his buddies act like teenagers, they will be in someone else's car.

Insurance on two seaters is a killer. I called my insurance agent last year when my daughter turned 16 and he helped me choose the right kind of car for kids. My daughter has a Nissan xTerra now. Great car and I got her one with a stick so she can't text or phone and drive.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 11:08:50 am by swake » Logged
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 11:52:30 am »

My oldest who is 19 was given a 1993 Mazda 929 when he got his driver license. And my youngest will be driving a 1987 Mazda B2200 extended cab pickup.

I saved for and payed for my first and all of my vehicles. The most my parents did for me was co sign and that was my Mother. My Father was a never did never would kind of parent when it came to that.
That kind of attitude drove me to try and do harder than the rich kids who had the better paid for vehicles.

My fist car was a 1968 Ford LTD two door hunter green car with a 390 four barrel, duel exaust, that I put on with cherry bomb glass packs. My Dad laughed and said. Oh Ya! That's what that car was missing.
It wasn't beautiful. But I knew every scratch and dent on it. And it was all mine.

Both my boy's know that they will have to work and earn their own good credit. I wanted both of them to learn in vehicles that if by some chance they wreck. The loss won't be as great for them or me. I just feel first time drivers should at least have two years in real driving experience before getting behind high dollar payments and insurance.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 12:09:06 pm »

Only one choice then.... 60's Beetle.  Except I used to be able to get 5 into mine.  And after the wreck that caved in the hood, remove the hood, and now room for 6!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 12:46:29 pm »

I purchased both cars, as my FB friends may know. I will catch hell from the parents in here and ragged on by others for what I got. Let's say economical was not considered.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 01:52:10 pm »

I purchased both cars, as my FB friends may know. I will catch hell from the parents in here and ragged on by others for what I got. Let's say economical was not considered.

Any openings for surrogate children available?
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 02:57:57 pm »

No need to test drive... Get a BMW M3.  If the kid doesn't get arrested or kill himself he might turn out to be a good driver.

Grin

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 03:04:31 pm »

Cars and children can both be an investment. That being said, they can both offer a poor return at times.

My favorite Benjamin Franklin quote is, "Never invest in anything that requires repairs or eats."

Power is nothing till you use it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org